Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2020 EX-L AWD
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was getting ready to get a new EX-L so I have been reading on here for a week or so. I only sat in one and like the comfort of it. I have my reserves on the CVT trans because I had a 2013 Accord and had a bunch of issues with the CVT. So because of that I came here looking for info on it. HOWEVER, I see bigger issues with the fuel in oil issue. Raising oil level? Thats pretty bad and has me thinking of holding off on buying until they fix the issue which may take awhile. Right now I have a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T AWD Sport. I know not all CR-v's have the fuel in oil issue but with my luck I will be one of them if I get one. I hope Honda does not drag their feet on fixing the issue.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Was getting ready to get a new EX-L so I have been reading on here for a week or so. I only sat in one and like the comfort of it. I have my reserves on the CVT trans because I had a 2013 Accord and had a bunch of issues with the CVT. So because of that I came here looking for info on it. HOWEVER, I see bigger issues with the fuel in oil issue. Raising oil level? Thats pretty bad and has me thinking of holding off on buying until they fix the issue which may take awhile. Right now I have a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T AWD Sport. I know not all CR-v's have the fuel in oil issue but with my luck I will be one of them if I get one. I hope Honda does not drag their feet on fixing the issue.
You're right, all don't have it. However the CVT problem you noticed in 2013 Accord, is different. Because 2013 was the fist year for honda to introduce CVT, which they started with accord, so you were one of the first year buyer of CVT. They put CVT in 2015 CR-V first, which i think didn't have any issues. Also comparing to Nissan, Honda has way way better CVT in every car, and they only started in 2013, while nissan started in 2007. I own both Honda CR-V and Nissan Altima, they both have CVT, my pick would be Honda.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I read all the oil/gas threads weekly and i personally havent had an issue but know that Honda will cover me when and if i did.
All the positives outweigh the negatives

·
Registered
2020 EX-L AWD
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read all the oil/gas threads weekly and i personally havent had an issue but know that Honda will cover me when and if i did.
All the positives outweigh the negatives
While your in warranty they will cover you, then your on your own.
I feel sorry for those with the issue. Its not good at all for the engine. That thin oil adds a lot of premature wear

·
Registered
264 Posts
I feel sorry for those with the issue. Its not good at all for the engine. That thin oil adds a lot of premature wear
Its best to have it documented at dealer as soon as possible or before warranty expires.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The extended warranty from collegehills covers me :)
i paid $715 and have 7yrs 80k now, I worry about things i can control, not things i cant!

Its best to have it documented at dealer as soon as possible or before warranty expires.

Yep, if they every do a huge recall part of it will be some type of extension for people who had to pay out of pocket or they'll bump warranty like they have with issues in the past

·
Registered
452 Posts
Do you live in a cold climate? Most--not all--oil dilution reports are coming from cold climate zones. Not a guarantee it wouldn't happen to you, but reduced chances at least, if you live where it's warm year round.

EDIT: Sorry, on my phone your location does not show. I see now you are in Delaware.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I have an early 2017 (built in Ohio in Dec. 2016). I have almost 20,000 mile on it. I live in Louisville, KY so while its not the "Great White North" we have had a cold winter and seen zero degree weather. I have not seen any of the frightening problems a few people are having. Considering Honda built something like 370,000 of the new CR-V's in the past year I think the vast majority don't experience serious problems. I have been highly pleased with our new Touring as well as our 2015 1.5 NA Direct Injection Fit. Both have CVT transmissions and and both my wife and I have nothing but positive feelings about them. My brother also has two CR-V's, one CVT DI engine and one EFI Five speed. All of these have been drama free.

Honda has a warranty and I am sure the few people who have issues will get them fixed or can Lemon Law them back to Honda. Personally after our family having owned about 35 new Honda's and having great luck with all of them I don't worry too much.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
No problems with my 2018. I have seen probably about 3 reports of 2018's with oil problems. Considering the thousands of 2018's that have been sold I think your odds are very good that you will be fine.

Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased a 2018 EXL AWD 2 nights ago. I read the info in these and other forums, and researched what I could on the oil dilution issue, and other known issues before hand.
A quick Google search for recalls and TSB info, returns page and page of numerous makes and models. The bottom line is I liked the way the car looks, drove, and the value and features packed into a $30K vehicle.
And while I sympathize with owners who have experienced this issue, I believe it is somewhat isolated, and Honda will do the right thing for the customers.
BTW, I live in upstate NY, and travel to the Adirondacks and all of Vermont for work, so I will monitor the oil level and heater situation.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Was getting ready to get a new EX-L so I have been reading on here for a week or so....
Right now I have a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T AWD Sport.
Curious why you are getting rid of your Hyundai after only a few years?

Why not just drive it for another 4-6 years?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Love our 2018...I'm really impressed with the CVT. All the other CVT's I've driven (Ford, Nissan, and Honda's early CVT) were absolutely horrible to drive. This tranny in the new CRV is great.

·
Registered
2020 EX-L AWD
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Curious why you are getting rid of your Hyundai after only a few years?

Why not just drive it for another 4-6 years?
Just have the itch for a new car and the mileage is better. Horse power is a lot lower but I do not drive aggressive. I also would like to trade the Hyundai in while it is still worth a decent amount of money instead of waiting till I will hardly get anything for it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Every time you trade up, you take a financial hit because the dealer is paying less than the old car is worth while the new car depreciates most rapidly the day you drive it off the lot. Add in the CRV issues and you are better off staying with what you have until year 3 of any new car introduction. Let them sort out the issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Love our 2018...I'm really impressed with the CVT. All the other CVT's I've driven (Ford, Nissan, and Honda's early CVT) were absolutely horrible to drive. This tranny in the new CRV is great.
Agree completely here. I traded up from a 2016, previously had a 2006, and honestly, the 2018 CVT, to me at least, is light years ahead of the 2016. I don't notice the shifts at all in this one, or rubber banding etc. The 2016 was well, bad, for lack of a better term. Almost wonder if there was something wrong with mine is this is like night and day!

Overall, I am extremely happy with the 2018 EX I know have. It feels like such a different vehicle from the 2006, and the 2016. Inside, outside, performance wise and just about everything else!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Every time you trade up, you take a financial hit because the dealer is paying less than the old car is worth while the new car depreciates most rapidly the day you drive it off the lot. Add in the CRV issues and you are better off staying with what you have until year 3 of any new car introduction. Let them sort out the issues.

You do realize that most people are not having issues and that is certainly true for the 2018s.
Also the best time to sell a vehicle is based on a lot of a variables, for instance if I owned a 2017 RAV4 I would be dumping it as fast as possible because the 2019 will soon be shown to the general public and prices on the GEN4s will take a dive. The CRV's will hold their value very well for the next 3 years until the Gen6 is announced.

Rob

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Do NOT do it. Hold your horses for a few weeks and get the new 2019 Rav4.
A few weeks:headscratch: You mean 8 months.
They are not coming out to the showrooms and then for reviews until December and not for sale to the public until early 2019. On top of that nobody knows anything significant about them and no one knows if they have any issues until people start driving them.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
3,097 Posts
rent one, decide on your own good luck

·
Registered
2020 EX-L AWD
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Like I was saying, I know that the fuel/oil thing is not in every one. BUT, with my luck I will get one and it is a major thing to thin out your oil that will cause damage that will not be evident till years later. I live in Delaware so it is a cold climate in the winter. I see a good amount of people here that are effected by it. I am sure that there are many more out there that have the problem that are not even aware of it. I have searched the net looking for updates from Honda on what they are doing to correct the issue and I found nothing. Just "watch your oil level" and "change oil when smell is evident". That is not a acceptable answer to me.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts