Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of the few things that I do not like about my CR-V are the bulging tail lamps at the back and the extra high ridges on the sides of the hood. I can get over the hood's look but I would pay good money to replace the lamp casing.

I wonder how many people like the look? Personally I really prefer the look of the Tail Lamps on the Gen 4 which just hug in against the metal at the sides.

Is there any chance that some third party company may produce a set that do not bulge out or is this unheard of in the industry?

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
My Toyot a, after 8 plus years of it you'll get used to it. You can 3d print one up and design your own if you got the skills otherwise there is no demand that we all know of? Keep of looking keep on trucking.

FISH

·
Registered
425 Posts
we love the back and the front, it's what makes the new CRV and the Civics very popular IMO.

Mazda's front design looks very creative and futuristic, like it a lot.

Toyota's has the old Tacoma look, getting really boring for me, very truck like.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rear lamps are one of the best parts of the design
I knew most of you guys would say that :beb:
Just like the Rims I am the odd man out when it comes to taste and design:Notagain:

:kaboom
Rob

·
Registered
248 Posts
With regards to the "bulging" tail light housing, when I first got the car, I would occasionally think there was someone tailgating me because I would see the bulge in my side view mirror I think it's another car. I have gotten used to the style, though I never really had a problem with it to begin with. What I would prefer, with regards to lights, is if there were proper side marker lights. Currently their is a turn signal light on the side view mirror housings. However, these lights face more forwards than out to the side. If a car were in my blind spot or anywhere where the driver is past the my tail lights but not past the side view mirrors, they wouldn't be able to see my turn signals flash. At night this might not be as big a problem since it's dark, but during the day, they wouldn't see anything. Now, obviously it's our responsibility to check our mirrors before changing lanes, but this type of design affects us as drivers as well, with regards to other cars signaling.

But back to the topic on style. Sometimes, getting a car in the color of the feature you like least, can in a small way lessen how much that feature stands out. For example, the black rocker panels/bumper/wheel well trim that goes all around the car, shows up much less on a black vehicle. And tail lights being red, stand out less on a red car. I never cared for the triangular tail lights of the 4th gen Honda Prelude, so I got the car in red. Granted, none of this helps you now as you already have your car and I'm not sure Honda makes the CRV in red for the US market.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,095 Posts
Well, Rob...I have to say that I am a fan of the taillights. It seems that many Crossovers have taillights that stick out (bulge) to the sides these days. I suspect it is partially for aerodynamics. I really like how they look when following one at night from behind.

The wheels: I am just slightly more negative than positive regarding my feeling about the wheels. I can say that if I had a choice of factory wheels in the same size when purchasing, I might not have chosen these, but they are not bad enough for me to want to spend any money or energy changing them. Buying new ones, paying to have the tires dismounted/remounted and re-balanced, then dealing with selling the take-offs turns that sightly negative to a slightly positive!

Last vehicle that I changed the factory wheels on was:

Attachments

·
5,095 Posts
... It seems that many Crossovers have taillights that stick out (bulge) to the sides these days. ...:
After I wrote this, I decided to observe taillights on vehicles during a 250 mile round trip this weekend. I didn't see as many as I thought I would with the protruding rear light lenses, but I did see a few. Some Hyundai sedans, a 4 Runner or two, and a Hyundai Tucson. Although they were not as obviously "bulging" as the CRVs lights. While I don't find it objectionable at all, I do see Rob's issue. Here's one that I knew of (as I had a Tucson prior to the CRV.) ...found image online...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have seen several other designs with bulges also, it does seem to be the in thing in SUV design. Not my cup of tea but maybe some company will see a market for a new design.

Rob

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,813 Posts
The most obnoxious (IMO) bulging lights were the fronts on a Nissan Juke. :Eyes:

You can see the turn indicators blinking without looking at the instruments!

·
5,095 Posts
The most obnoxious (IMO) bulging lights were the fronts on a Nissan Juke. :Eyes:

You can see the turn indicators blinking without looking at the instruments!
And it is widely commented that the Aztek was an ugly vehicle! LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts