Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I show it all but the checking of fluid, put your finger in the hole and do not get stuck if you feel fluid you are good. video clearly shows the way to change out fluid enjoy

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. if you like send over a amazon gift of that to me and I'll re do it just for you the right way. thank you for linking so other members can find an easier way to do it you can sit there and pump but you will not get the full quart in with a pump if asked.

1 full quart is all that is needed a 2nd quart in hand I had two extra Lol.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Every Video you do Fish is a better production than the last. I think you pretty much have got the style and everything else just about perfect. The only thing you might want to do is invest in a second camera and a low profile tripod like this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-MTPIXI-B-PIXI-Tripod-Black/dp/B00D76RNLS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1538523324&sr=8-4&keywords=low+profile+tripod

That way you can keep a second camera focused on the underneath while your doing stuff in the car or pouring oil in from above. It's great to have two separate film shots, makes editing so much nicer when you can switch from you pouring in the oil to a picture of the oil running down the tube and into the Diff.

Excellent video my friend, my only question is why didn't you put in more oil? I heard you say there was oil left behind but when I change my diff oil I fill it until it starts dripping out of the top hole.

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Every Video you do Fish is a better production than the last. I think you pretty much have got the style and everything else just about perfect. The only thing you might want to do is invest in a second camera and a low profile tripod like this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-MTPIXI-B-PIXI-Tripod-Black/dp/B00D76RNLS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1538523324&sr=8-4&keywords=low+profile+tripod

That way you can keep a second camera focused on the underneath while your doing stuff in the car or pouring oil in from above. It's great to have two separate film shots, makes editing so much nicer when you can switch from you pouring in the oil to a picture of the oil running down the tube and into the Diff.

Excellent video my friend, my only question is why didn't you put in more oil? I heard you say there was oil left behind but when I change my diff oil I fill it until it starts dripping out of the top hole.

Rob
Thank you Rob... will keep the additional 30 camera's I got in mind for a scene Lol Yes I do I can name then all. For the oil notice I am now facing the wrong way and I am angled From my passed experience the gen 1 no video, gen II video I know that one quart gets it done for me. I did not do my finger lickingtest (Jk)

Oh by the way there should be two cameras can't remember when I pour Lol

To all who do not watch you'll miss a trick I use incase the salt kicks your but

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
.........when I change my diff oil I fill it until it starts dripping out of the top hole.

Rob
I would think “fill it until it starts dripping out of the top (fill) hole” would be most important. Every diff I’ve done, that’s how you tell when it’s full......oil starts running out the fill hole.

I believe refilling the CVT is somewhat the same way......when oil starts running out where that bolt is removed, the CVT is properly filled. Replace the bolt, pat yourself on your back and have a cold one.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI there is hole that fluid can over flow out of. when the plugs are closed.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
FYI there is hole that fluid can over flow out of. when the plugs are closed.

I did not know that. Diffs I'm familiar with do have a vent tube, but the open end of the vent tube is located up high at the floor pan/bed. Great video, just like your others.:doublethumb:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
From what I understand it takes a little more than 1 qt. to fill the differential. For a proper oil change, the vehicle should be level.
I will be changing the Differential oil as soon as Amazon ships the oil and will post info when done.
Always loosen the fill hole first and then the drain hole..... nothing worst than finding you can't get the fill hole bolt off after draining the oil :=(

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I would think “fill it until it starts dripping out of the top (fill) hole” would be most important. Every diff I’ve done, that’s how you tell when it’s full......oil starts running out the fill hole.

I believe refilling the CVT is somewhat the same way......when oil starts running out where that bolt is removed, the CVT is properly filled. Replace the bolt, pat yourself on your back and have a cold one.:thumb:
Hmmm I thought that was what I said. Maybe I worded it poorly, but that was what I meant to say.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Hmmm I thought that was what I said. Maybe I worded it poorly, but that was what I meant to say.
Oooops, my bad, must be a translation thing. I was trying to emphasize/stress the importance of what you said, "fill it until it starts dripping out of the top hole".:thumb:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Thank you. if you like send over a amazon gift of that to me and I'll re do it just for you the right way. thank you for linking so other members can find an easier way to do it you can sit there and pump but you will not get the full quart in with a pump if asked.

1 full quart is all that is needed a 2nd quart in hand I had two extra Lol.
I just confirmed that it takes 1.3 quarts to fill .... You might be low because you drained oil in a not level position.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From what I understand it takes a little more than 1 qt. to fill the differential. For a proper oil change, the vehicle should be level.
I will be changing the Differential oil as soon as Amazon ships the oil and will post info when done.
Always loosen the fill hole first and then the drain hole..... nothing worst than finding you can't get the fill hole bolt off after draining the oil :=(
Always loosen both not just one like I did in the vid. I do a lil more then the normal person if oil came out because I was incorrectly leveled you now know not to do what I did

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just confirmed that it takes 1.3 quarts to fill .... You might be low because you drained oil in a not level position.
thanks I'll do a follow up and double check the fluid level, the least I can do,

·
Registered
187 Posts
My 2017 CR-V has 17.5K miles on it and says 30% oil life per the maintenance minder (upcoming would be my 3rd oil change...both previous done at the dealer). I have the A 6 code on the display and after reading this thread, changing out the differential fluid looks super easy. On my wife's Pilot a while back, the dealer charged $100 to change it out.

What I was wondering is if it's ok to change out the differential fluid now and then wait to do the oil change in a month or so when I hit 15% on the Maintenance Minder. Reason being, I am in Chicago and with the temperature dipping, I don't really want to be crawling under the car in December.

I'd do the oil change at the dealer again (to me, with a coupon, I only save like $10 by doing the oil change myself). But for this differential fluid change, it looks more like a $70 savings by doing myself.

Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah, I log every maintenance done on my cars whether self or dealer. Sounds like not an issue performing at this mile marker and short of the next oil change. Thanks.

·
Registered
350 Posts

I use the same pump for differentials. Really handy.

And you do indeed need 2 quarts, topping off until the fluid drips out of the fill hole.

1.32 US qt (1.247 L) is the actual spec cap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts