Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! I'm new here and first I'd like to say that my wife and I both have CRV's and we love them. Mine's a '97 and hers is an '01. There is one thing I'm not 100% satisfied with, though. The cup holders are awful.

This morning while I made a turn, for the umpteenth time, my drink spilled. It happens with both fast food cups and thermos style cups. The cup holders are too shallow and the cups aren't secure in them at all. I've been looking for something that will give taller support to the cups and/or secure the bottoms better in the holders, but I haven't had any luck. I'm hoping someone here knows of something that can help. Thanks!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I haven't had a problem with that. But I would think that you could get some PVC that has the same diameter and JB weld it to the top of the cup holders. If done right, I think it wouldn't look too bad.

But off the top of my head, I cant think of much else

·
Registered
196 Posts
Same Issue

I've had this issue a lot in my V as well. Those supersize drinks from McD's are a bomb waiting to happen in my car. What I usually do with bottled drinks is to wedge them between the passenger seat back, the passenger seatbelt buckle, and the console tray. This actually works really well for me and I can easily put in any bottled drink (24 ounce cokes up to the tall Voss bottles). Since that solution, I only use the cup holders (2 up front and 2 console tray) for cans of soda and my cellphone.

I really like the PVC idea and it shouldn't be that hard to implement (great thinking Jwood70). I think if you get it to perfectly fit inside, you won't need to weld it. I might give this a try... Good luck!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I figured out what was meant this morning. I had a bottled coke that I had just bought. It flailed around until i just stuck it in the passenger seat.
The problem as I see it is that the cup holders are not deep enough.

I wasn't talking about wedging the PVC into the cup holder. That would reduce the inside diameter. What I was talking about it finding a piece of PVC that has the same/close diameter as the cup holder and adding a lip of you want to call it that. Another 3/4 to an inch there would be enough.

I have only had it happen with bottled drinks. I had a medium McD cup in there Last Saturday and I had no problem with it shifting around and I was on some steep, curvy roads.

But the piece of pipe would fix all problems if done right. Just paint it to match the interior trim.

let me know if anyone tries it.

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
wow. So I have a solution for you, just not for cans, I did it on 1 cup holder on my center section on my gen 1, just cut the bottom out of it. My front one is normal, to put my phone in or whatever, the rear one is cut out completely, so any fast food cup goes all the way in to the lid, or half way down depending on the size. Problem solved.

If you wanted to do something more involved you could add rubber trim from the bottom in a cicle to act as a wedge when a can goes in, so it would have to tapper tighter.

·
Registered
681 Posts
That's not a bad idea. I know that I drink more bottle/can drinks that I do cup drinks, so cutting one will not work for me.

Besides, like someone previously stated, I use mine to hold my phone and HU remote.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Illegal, bigtime creativity man! :)eek:) No really, it looks like a very good solution and it looks well done (and kudos to the spotlessness in there). For me though, I think I'd rather keep the bottoms.

Jwood70's PVC idea seems good too but I wouldn't want it to be permanent, so it would be nice if there was a way for it to be both secure and quickly easily installed/removed. Especially when it was to be used on (my personal preference) the dash pull-out cup holders.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Oversized cup holders

That's not a bad idea. I know that I drink more bottle/can drinks that I do cup drinks, so cutting one will not work for me.

Besides, like someone previously stated, I use mine to hold my phone and HU remote.
Check with Either PEPBOYS or TARGET. They sell oversized
cup holder that fit onto a small one for $4.99 .:)

·
Registered
681 Posts
But there goes the custom touch. lol. Everyone can go out there and buy one. Not everyone can make one. But it is probably smarter to go that way.

Dew, I dont have the in-dash cup holders. I only have the center console cup holders.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Could you post links? I didn't have any luck searching either places' websites so I didn't get to see them. Do you think these address the problems I am having (original post in thread)?
Thanks.

But there goes the custom touch. lol. Everyone can go out there and buy one. Not everyone can make one. But it is probably smarter to go that way.
Nothing against making something if necessary... but for me, I'd rather it looked, um, purchased.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Oversized cupholder adapter

Dew - Sorry, I forgot to mention, I saw it physically at the
store and not on the website.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I understand where you are coming from. I just like to make things a little more difficult to make sure it is exactly what I want.
Haha, same here, but I'm getting to the age where I'm more lazy and willing to pay for things. And after a lifetime of much difficulty and cobbling things together, I like looking at smooth, pretty things when possible. However, to get the functionality I require, I still get motivated for diy when necessary.

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
If I have a bottle witrh a twist top, I throw it on the seat, I dont bring cans in my car. Old habbit, my last honda had NO cup holders.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts