Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Live in a high rise building. Have 2013 CRV (naked roof). Want to buy two 8' kayaks (30 pounds each). Cleaned out our little storage cage and both will fit. Found used Yakima Q system that will fit my car. Watched youtube on how to install. Very pleased with myself until driving into the garage yesterday and noted the clearance was 7'7". This means I cannot use those "J" holders because with the kayaks on their sides it will be too tall to get out the garage. My questions is: can I secure the kayaks on the roof racks FLAT???

OR any other suggestions gratefully appreciated.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've been driving from Ocala FL to Woodland WA (door to door = 3016 miles each way) for years with my Kayaks flat mounted. I've never had issues as a result.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If these are plastic 'yaks, it won't hurt 'em at all. I've carried 17' kayaks and canoes canoes for years, never used anything but straight crossbars, padded with carpet or a pool noodle. I use two locking cam straps per boat (fore and aft) to lash it to the rack, then add noselines to front tiedown points. I use two loops of webbing, each being mounted by removing a fender bolt, melting a hole through the doubled webbing, then reseating the bolt through the hole. Works really well, and you can just flip them under the bonnet when they're not in use. Besides adding to safety, you'll see the noselines move around if anything slackens up on the rack. With plastic boats, I'm careful not to overtighten anything, especially the noselines - solidly snug is just fine for the straps, and just barely snug good for the noselines. If it's really hot, the straps and lines can be eased off when you're parked - but tighten again before heading out.

Re the cross bars - Honda4Life has a good point...how wide are the kayaks? I use 6' Thule crossbars on my Dodge Caravan - with the 4' bars, it's a tight-but-doable fit for two 24" beam boats.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If these are plastic 'yaks, it won't hurt 'em at all. I've carried sea kayaks and canoes all summer long for years, never used anything but straight crossbars, padded with carpet or a pool noodle. I use two locking cam straps per boat (fore and aft) to lash each to the rack, then add noselines to front tiedown points; two loops of webbing, each being mounted by removing a fender bolt, melting a hole through the doubled webbing, then reseating the bolt through the hole. Works really well, and you can just flip them under the bonnet when they're not in use. Besides adding greatly to safety, you'll see the noselines move around if anything slackens up on the rack. With plastic boats, I'm careful not to overtighten anything, especially the noselines - solidly snug is just fine for the straps, and just barely snug good for the noselines. If it's really hot, the straps and lines can be eased off when you're parked - but tighten again before heading out.

Re the cross bars - Honda4Life has a good point...how wide are the kayaks? I use 6' Thule crossbars on my Dodge Caravan - with the 4' bars, it's a tight-but-doable fit for two 24" beam boats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts