Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also have a 2013 optima sx. damn engine blew up last week with 187,000kms on it. so roughly 117,00miles. Anyone else like/hate kia?

·
Registered
41 Posts
They to expensive and they have vinyl seats aka leather on almost every single trim witch I hate. Wouldn’t buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts

My one son owns a 2017 Kia Sorrento AWD V6 (which is slightly larger than our 2014 CRV) and I like it. Actually, its a V6 with 5,000 lbs towing ability - which impresses me as well.

Only negatives are:
- If using its AWD "enabled" too much on dry pavement, it will tear itself apart. re: It locks in too tight and isn't dry ground friendly (in AWD mode). But if its AWD is used only on ice/snow covered roads, it works great - like it should.
- Its rear suspension is too soft. Especially for its factory 5,000 lbs towing rating. For towing, recommend installing Firestone air bags in its rear. Thus, "air up" when needed and leave at 5 lbs when not towing / hauling things.

Overall, I really like his Kia SUV vehicle. And, I love driving it as well. But, my wife says its too physically large for her liking. re: harder to park and just too big for her liking - for a "run about" vehicle. I would have bought a used Sportage (its little sister model to the Sorrento) but bought the used 2014 CRV instead. As you can tell, I'm not brand loyal.... But, do love the small SUV AWD shape and usage for my north region. Happy wife = happy life....

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Engines last longer when you take care of them. We have no idea how well you maintained your Kia. That said, nothing will last forever. Honda, Toyota, Kia, etc... all can have a bad seed in the batch. If you look at how reliable Kia has become over the past few years, you'll see quite a change for the better. This is good for all of us (the consumer).

I would not hesitate in purchasing a Kia/Hyundai, if I needed a new vehicle. I almost did, but the dealer experience steered me away, not the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Those snooty remarks are all in stark contrast to my readings.
In summary, consider the source and that YMMV vary.
Since this is a primarily a forum for Honda owners, did you really expect most people here to recommend a Kia? :rofl:

I went and checked three things. The Consumer Reports guide for Small SUVs, the JDPower Initial Quality Survey, and the JDPower Dependability Study.

I know some people don't like Consumer Reports and think they are biased against Honda, but I think they are still worth looking at, especially the Owner Satisfaction ratings.

JDPower publishes at least two reports on vehicles: the Initial Quality Survey and the Dependability Study. The IQS only reports on information collected during the first 3 months of ownership. The Dependability Student uses information from the first 3 years of ownership.

I was personally surprised to learn that Kia and Hyundai ranked at or near the top of both JD Power lists, and Honda has fallen to the middle or even below middle of their rankings.

I think one thing I saw is worth mentioning. The Consumer Reports ratings are basically a 5 point scale. If you translate their scale (which uses colors) to numbers, with 1 being worst and 5 being best, on the "Would You Buy This Car Again" rating the Honda CR-V got a 4, the Kia Sportage got a 3 and the Hyundai Tucson got a 2.

BTW the top rated small SUV in the Consumer Reports ratings was the Subaru Forester. It's overall score was 89, compared to 77 for the Honda CR-V, 72 for the Kia Sportage, and 64 for the Hyundai Tucson.

·
Administrator
3,441 Posts
Kia and it's sister company Hyundai don't seem to build cars with the longevity of Honda's and Toyota's.
One friend with a Sonata had to junk it at 140k... another with a new 2018 Hybrid just had the seat collapse on him. He's only 160lbs at most. Warranty claim rejected.
He's had the seat fixed and is sending them the bill.
They do look real pretty in showrooms. Btw I did test the Sorrento before going with the CRV. It was very much like the first gen Pilot. Wife liked the Pilot, didn't like the Sorrento.
They also have persistent engine recalls.
So no no Kia or Hyundai here. Ever. Son will either get my CRV or a Civic if we sell our Pilot at the end of the year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your model Optima might have been given a warranty extension specifically on the engine - did you inquire about it?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15342058/hyundai-and-kia-recall-1-2-million-cars-for-engine-failures/

My stepson had an Optima, I think the same year as yours. Kia gave him a new engine at around 100K miles because it started making noises and they determined it was due to this issue. They gave him a good loaner for a few weeks while they fixed his car. He drove it quite a bit more before recently trading it in for a Niro (which he also loves). We went cross shopping our CR-V with the Niro EV and the Niro plug-in hybrid. If we felt we could do with the huge reduction in cargo area, we'd have pulled the trigger on the Kia. But I do trust the safety of the Honda over the Kia more.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Kia's are pretty much disposable cars. Some places offer insane warranties because the price they pay vs retail price of a Kia is vastly higher gapped than more reputable brands. I have seen Hyundai's do ok but they still are like cars of old, get between 100 and 150k and their ready for the junk yard unless you have deep pockets to keep them on the road.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't tend to put much stock in "awards" and "car of the year" stuff ever since they awarded the Chevy Vega with one of those when it came out. Needless to say, a few years later, everyone who bought one regretted it due to the engine problems. Virtually ANY vehicle is "wonderful" when new, but I can assure you that the real test is after you've had it for 10, 15 or 20 years of ownership. Back in the earlier years, Honda had oil leak problems such as a 2000 Civic we had with over 100,000 miles from the oil pan. Many older Hondas had these issues but since they began using their "Hondabond" sealant, they're almost nonexistent. My daughter's 2007 Fit has over 120,000 miles and both the engine and trans are dry underneath. We got it used at 50,000 miles and the only problem we had with it was a failed condenser fan and ignition coils (original ones had issues so Honda had redesigned ones that work great). Our family tends to own vehicles until they "die" or get so old you can't find parts anymore (I owned an '83 Isuzu pickup and sold it after 33 years of ownership; yeah, it leaked oil!) I suspect that these Hondas with timing chain engines will easily reach 200-250K in mileage as long as you maintain them properly (regular oil changes with quality oil and filters). As for Hyundai/Kia, I've seen too many of them having lots of problems once they get around 8 year old with 80,000 miles or so. Here in Hawaii, 100,000 miles is a lot whereas on the mainland, you could put on 100K in 3-5 years easily. (BTW, we've had Hyundai/Kia vehicles come in for oil changes with under 12,000 miles on them and leaking oil from the oil pan; we referred them to the dealer for warranty. Not a good sign and wonder how many the dealers see since we're not a Hyundai/Kia dealer who would see them all.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2017 CRV/EX-L (NAVI) and a 2016 Kia Sedona. (my 2012 Sedona- first one ran flawlessly and rattle-free to over 100K miles when I decided I just wanted something new.) I like driving both vehicles equally well. I'm constantly impressed how 'car-like' the Sedona handles and its power. I would say the Kia feels better 'screwed together' than the CRV with the 2016 now approaching 50K miles I've not had a rattle or loose panel yet. My CRV at 15K has had seat and door trim panels come loose already and multiple high tech features malfunction. (slam on brakes on a bright day driving down a tree lined street, whole panel lights up with warnings, lane keeping malfunction and of course the worry about oil dilution). As I said, I do like driving it however. My point is I think the Honda and Kia are both good vehicles and dismiss the bad-mouthers as normally just putting in their 2 cents without a penny's worth of experience to back it up.

Which impresses you: a highly rated vehicle that doesn't quite live up to it's billing, or a lesser rated vehicle that surprises you with a stellar performance?

·
Registered
6 Posts
While it is not a Kia, my other car is the related company Hyundai.
I have a 2008 Elantra which I bought new.
It will hit 193.000 miles sometime this week.
The maintenance was done by the book, including the timing belt.
I do not drive the car hard. The car is used a a daily driver, non highway, but not urban diving, stop lights but not heavy traffic.
It is a 5-speed and still has the original clutch.
Other than the usual maintenance items such as oil, brakes, tires, the only 'unusual" item I have had to replace was the radiator (at 181,000 miles due to a leak).
The car still runs like a top with very few squeaks and rattles. I think this still has a while to go. I have no complaints about Hyundai.

·
Registered
2014 CR-V 2.0 Lifestyle
789 Posts
A few years ago I went to try out the Sportage. The hour or two of the test drive was excruciatingly boring. I like the looks of it a lot but my god its lack of character is impossible to bear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I had a 2014 Soul+ and it was underpowered and always needed expensive maintenance - I traded it it for a 2015 CRV-EX that was a year old and had 12k on it. I had always been a honda girl, and am glad to be back. Maintenence is infrequent, and they always wash the car and vacuum the carpet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts