Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my three month trial is coming to an end soon and I'm on the fence.
For long trip, I love it. Especially if say there is springsteen concert playing. When using the GPS, I prefer not to use it. I haven't used normal radio at all.....and my iphone stored music much at all.

If there are gripes with Honda's system, its not enough presets and reception dies if you have too many trees, or buildings or bridge to the south of you blocking the satellite signal. So and it cuts out. Should have a bigger buffer built in.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I like it for the variety that is available. I've had good reception and the sound quality is good too. When you are close to the end of your subscription just call them and barter a little and you can usually get a favorable renewal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can't beat the comedy channels or the baseball broadcasts, IMO. SiriusXM is a very good value for the money. I wish I could have an in-dash unit in my 2012 CR-V EX without disabling the backup camera and steering-wheel audio controls.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I didn't really care for it, and let it expire on our cars. It was the first vehicles we had with it included. The sound quality wasn't great, the reception often cut in and out, it wasn't local news, and it seemed like the same stuff on a loop over and over. I am in an area with a radio station on every available space on the dial, plus digital sub channels, so there's no shortage of variety with a local advantage. (local news, local weather, local traffic, etc)

If I was into listening to sports games or news, then it would probably be different. We didn't renew and they have been ruthless with the mailed offers. $20 for 5 months, etc. Every few days a new offer comes in the mail.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I paid $450 for a lifetime subscription back in 2006. I listen to lots of news, Stern, Jay Thomas and the best music channels are Deep Tracks and the newest Yacht Radio.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am also a fan of SiriusXM radio. I have it in two of my cars and find it much better than traditional radio. Best of the best things about it is most music channels are commercial free!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had XM Radio on my Cadillac before I bought the Honda CR-V. I only liked a few of the channels and of those, the music repeated way too often. I thought the cost was expensive for the little enjoyment I got out of it.

But if you must have it, I recommend you call them up and haggle over the price. You can get them to come down quit a bit. Also, DO NOT give them a credit card number or when you plan starts to expire it will automatically renew at the latest price. Tell them you want to be billed and when the bill arrives in the mail, don't pay it but call them up and haggle. I was on a Cadillac forum for 6 years and that is what most of the people on that forum did.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm a big XM fan....especially in the motorhome as we travel. We listen to Fox news TV audio quite a bit. We have a small XM adapter that we move between vehicles and the house so we have XM available wherever we are with only 1 subscription.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I'm a big XM fan....especially in the motorhome as we travel. We listen to Fox news TV audio quite a bit. We have a small XM adapter that we move between vehicles and the house so we have XM available wherever we are with only 1 subscription.
Please provide information about your XM adapter. Thanks! jimbob

·
Registered
71 Posts
XM should be calling you very soon asking if you want to sign on for longer. When they called me last November I told them no, that the rates were too expensive. They then offered me a year for about $80 bucks. done deal

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I had Sirius in my Kia for four and a half years. I attempted to drop it last year because of the cost and the increased loss of signals. They called me and the $229 cost dropped to $99 and I kept it. My CRV has XM which is different and I had to switch services to the comparable XM package that did not have NASCAR station. I called them and they pro-rated the service and gave a year of everything for $119. XM loses reception far more than Sirius (I think they have 2 satellites and Sirius has 3). With the frequent loss of reception here in the mountains and the continual increase in lost signals, I probably won't renew. If you get it, you automatically sign up for automatic renewal so you need to call them and remove the automatic renewal. With Sirius, I once got the renewal on my credit card without warning and they had increased the price without telling me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure if they're available for the CRV's, I installed an iSimple adapter in my 2006 Duramax that came from the factory with Sirus XM, the adapter takes a couple hours to install. It maintains all the factory wheel controls and allows me to plug in an iPod for trips and no monthly fees or hassles. I did find out one thing about the iPod, you have to SHAKE it to get it to shuffle...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not a big fan of XM. I called them about a week after I had my new V and told them to cancel when the free trial ran out. They called me about a week before my trial expired and offered me 6 months for $30.00 plus tax. I took it, but I'm going to cancel again. I have common complaint about repeat songs, plus it annoys me that you can't skip a song. You must change stations :(

I tried Apple music for their 3 month free trial. I really liked that a lot. You can really customize what you want to listen too. Of course they want $10.00 per month plus tax. So I let that expire after the free trial.

Right now I'm using the free version of Pandora. Works well with my V radio, I can customize to some degree, I can skip a song here and there... but you have occasional commercials.

Pick your poison.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I have XM radio. I really like the commercial free stations. Being a senior citizen, I enjoy some of the older music stations. They used to offer some free months for a 1 year renewal. No more. The last renewal I cancelled and they offered me 6 months for $29.00. I took it. That expires this Sept. I'll cancel again and see if they offer me any discounts. If no discounts, I'm letting it go. I only listen to it in the car and have no desire for XM radio in my house. I already from ECHO from Amazon for the house.

·
Super Moderator
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I've pretty much decided to drop XM and called them up to cancel. Immediately got the $99 offer. Declined.
Between all the various Spotify' etc I'll be fine. Will miss the Bruce concerts on my long drives....
Let's see if they start chasing me with better offers. Never say never.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Also, DO NOT give them a credit card number or when you plan starts to expire it will automatically renew at the latest price.
I had XM for just a few months back around 2005+-. It was the first time I ever got involved with auto-renew of any kind. When I decided to discontinue it, I found myself involved in a nightmare scenario on the phone where the XM representative kept asking me why I wanted to quit then offering me some special deal, despite the fact that I repeatedly told him to cancel. I finally got to the point where I told him in a steadily increasing tone of voice to cancel the *^@# thing every time he he opened his mouth. This crap went on for at least 15 minutes with me getting madder & madder. I felt like crawling through the telephone line and strangling the SOB. I will NEVER give XM my business again.

To be fair, the above encounter happened before the XM-Sirius merger so I don't know if the resulting way of doing business changed, but I do know it made me extremely leery of ever giving anyone my CC for auto renew. I only do it these days if it is a service that I have to have (toll pass, etc.). Having someone take advantage of the fact that they have your CC# is infuriating.

·
Registered
783 Posts
"Commercial-Free", except for Sirius/XM commercials that are annoyingly frequent. Plus, any organization that provides a paycheck to Howard Stern...

I passed. Too many more-controllable/more-reliable alternatives.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts