Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to avoid damage to an internal rubber seal in the throttle body of my 2001 CRV when I clean it, a problem other members have pointed out. As I understand it, not all years had such a seal. I don't think the 2001 CRVs had the seal; does anyone know what year the seals appeared? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
All throttle bodies have a seal between it and the intake.

Not sure the obsession with taking off to clean them. It's not necessary. A can of brake cleaner will do everything you need to do and not have to worry about taking it off and damaging a seal.

The damage isn't a matter of only user error. Can happen just by removing the throttle body because the seal degrades and hardens with age.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All throttle bodies have a seal between it and the intake.

Not sure the obsession with taking off to clean them. It's not necessary. A can of brake cleaner will do everything you need to do and not have to worry about taking it off and damaging a seal.

The damage isn't a matter of only user error. Can happen just by removing the throttle body because the seal degrades and hardens with age.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks, but I'm not referring to the gasket between the TB and the intake manifold. There is a rubber seal, as I understand it, inside the TB and creating a seal with the edge of the butterfly - I assume. Ive read here that mistaking this seal for carbon deposits and damaging it while trying to remove the 'carbon' will put you "in a world of hurt", i.e., having to replace the TB. I thought I'd get a better look at it if I took it off, but I can't get it off (yet). As far as I know its hasn't been touched in 300k miles and trying to persuade it with a block of wood and a hammer doesn't seem to have even awakened it, so I probably will clean it in place. I don't think the 2001 has this seal, though newer ones may - just trying to get some accurate information. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,066 Posts
I've never seen any such rubber seal is any of the throttle bodies I've cleaned. Usually two things happen: 1, the brass butterfly pressing against the aluminum TB bore is supposed to create a sufficient seal, and 2, the throttle in a lot of cars isn't ever supposed to close completely because if it did, the car wouldn't be able to idle for lack of air.

I'm planning to clean my TB sometime soon, so I can post what I find, but something I'm sure people overlook is that the older CR-Vs (mine, at least) have a mechanical idle adjustment screw right on the TB, and it at least needs to be checked, if not completely readjusted, whenever any TB work is done. If that isn't checked, I can imagine having drivability issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments. I just removed, cleaned and replaced my TB. I didn't find any rubber seal. There is a thread in here somewhere like "Warning when cleaning your TB." Anyway, no seal in mine. I was having real idle problems; the engine would die or nearly so when I would come to a stop. In addition to cleaning the TB (which it needed), I removed the idle air control valve from the intake manifold. It looked pretty clogged and I wasn't sure how well I could clean it, so I replaced it. I just got it all back together and the idle is fine. The IAC lets air by-pass the TB at idle when the engine is cold. Coolant flows through the IAC so it can sense the engine temperature. It only operates when the engine is cold. So, I didn't think it was responsible for my problem, but it looked to be in pretty rough shape so I replaced it. I believe cleaning the TB solved my idle problem. Good luck with yours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts