Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to purchase a roof rack for my 09 LX CrV. The oem rack is $175 on HandA, as well as most of the other honda websites. The thule rack system is $400+!

Does the thule system really justify it being almost 2x the cost of the oem? Or is it user error on my part as the stupid consumer not being able to figure out the right rack system i really need?

Your input will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
342 Posts
OEM Rack

I have an OEM rack on my 08 but I don't have a rack on my wife's 09. If you don't have a specific reason for Thule rack, I would recommend OEM. It looks natural and fairly good weight capacity. And it only takes about 30 minutes to put it on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
$400 is about right for a Thule rack. Are you getting any bike or ski racks for that price?

I have a Thule rack on my 09 and I think it has a higher capacity than the OEM rack...but I have not looked to deeply into the Honda rack.

Good luck.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I cant stand the looks of a Thule rook rack just looks ugly :( Not to mention you will spend half as much if you get the oem rack. Right now I have the OME roof rack and a Thule universal ski mounting kit, couple weeks I will be giving it a try!

I have to agree with what is said above unless you have a reason to get the Thule, get the OME one.

Andrew

·
Registered
404 Posts
Up here in Canada, the differential is about $50. So, the decision to pick one over the other is less abut price. I chose Thule because it's LOCKABLE as I mentioned in another thread. The rack, roof box, 2 sets of skis, poles, boots and 2 snowboards with bindings represent a combined investment of over $3500 - yikes!. It adds up real fast so the extra deterrent is worth it in my mind.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you just want the basic bare bones rack get the Honda one. If you want one that can lock to the roof, is designed for direct mounts for kayak, canoe, bike, ski and many other aftermarket products, spend the money and get the Thule. Also, the strength and durability of the Thule will far outlast the Honda one. I don't know if this is true for the Gen 3's but for my Gen 2 the entire crossbar set is quick release so I can remove it when not in use which is an extremely nice feature.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't know if this is true for the Gen 3's but for my Gen 2 the entire crossbar set is quick release so I can remove it when not in use which is an extremely nice feature.
Unfortunately, for gen3 the rack mounts are fixed. They can be removed but it's a 10-15 minute job.

·
Registered
11 Posts
what about yakima? i have those and i like the ability to remove the racks in 1 min or so. i got the landing pad with control towers. they're easy to install but a little tedious because you need to strip the paint off the lug nuts.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I went with a Thule rack for two reasons. It's easy to lift the rack and my Thule Excursion 667 ES off the top of the car in just 10 seconds with another person's help. Also, when I don't need the rack, I take it off and snap on base covers. I'm sure if you added the cost of gas over a 2-3 year period, the difference in price between OEM (which can't be removed) and Thule will be negligible.

Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts