Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post and I'm not sure how to successfully navigate the group yet so please bare with me.
I recently purchased an 05 2wd CR-V with 105,000 miles for the wife. We both love it! The day after we bought it I drove it to work to get a good feel for it before I put her in my daughter in it without me. I noticed a thumping sound coming from the right wheel area when making hard or higher speed right hand turns. while turning its a steady thump, thump, thump, thump and slowly fades away once I've started driving straight again. I don't believe it to be the CV Joint as its not the clicking noise that results from that.
Anyone have any idea what may be the cause of or where I should start looking?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
When you hit a bump or pothole on the road. Do you hear the thump sound ? Is the struts on the fronts are the Original one? Does the vehicle drive straight?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Thump sound when hitting bumps or pot holes and I'm unsure if the struts are original. The vehicle does drive straight but the steering wheel is not at 12:00 while doing so. I'd say it's closer to 1:00.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also noticed there is no balancing weight on that wheel. not sure that an out of balance wheel would cause a thumping though.
Is that possible?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I also noticed there is no balancing weight on that wheel. not sure that an out of balance wheel would cause a thumping though.
Is that possible?
Yes, its possible. Can you tell which side is thumping? If you suspect that is the tire, I would suggest to remove that tire then install it to the back or install the spare tire if its in good condition. Its also possible that a tire wont have any balancing lead. Especially Michelin tires. Just also to be safe check all the lug nuts of all the tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like the right side to me but I've been fooled by front end noise before. I'll try moving the tires around too.
Thanks.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'd agree on the tire as well. When you start the process of solving the problem, only do one thing at a time and then drive it; otherwise, it's a lot tougher to isolate it !! Keep us informed ! Craig

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd agree on the tire as well. When you start the process of solving the problem, only do one thing at a time and then drive it; otherwise, it's a lot tougher to isolate it !! Keep us informed ! Craig
Thanks for the input, I will be starting the process tomorrow and will update the thread!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I asked if the Struts have been replaced as this year they have problems with the Struts from the factory they had a TSB. The TSB is for the Right side of the Front Strut. The symptoms are as follows. The vehicle will change direction when you brake & when you hit a bump or pothole the vehicle becomes unstable. Also check the Lower Ball Joint for looseness. If you could look at the Struts see if they look the same when it comes to age. See if 1 of them is newer than the other. Also check the Upper strut Mounts for looseness & damage. When you accelerate does the vehicle go straight? Let us know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I asked if the Struts have been replaced as this year they have problems with the Struts from the factory they had a TSB. The TSB is for the Right side of the Front Strut. The symptoms are as follows. The vehicle will change direction when you brake & when you hit a bump or pothole the vehicle becomes unstable. Also check the Lower Ball Joint for looseness. If you could look at the Struts see if they look the same when it comes to age. See if 1 of them is newer than the other. Also check the Upper strut Mounts for looseness & damage. When you accelerate does the vehicle go straight? Let us know.
Thanks for the heads up, I will keep an eye out for those symptoms but at this time I am not having any of them.
I will check the ball joint and strut tomorrow along with the other suggestions offered in the thread.
I wish I could be out there now looking, the weather is beautiful here in VA!
I will be sure to post what I find, I'm sure I'll have another question or two also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
check for a worn out motor mount on the rightside
You think that would cause a thumping while making turns? I will check it out for sure though because i have no idea where its coming from lol.. Thanks for your input!?
What do you guys think the worst case scenario would be cost wise? Ball joint/Wheel Bearing?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update.
After looking and trying to locate any issues I did not have any luck. Took it to get the wheels balanced and all 4 wheels were way off. This made things a lot better. The tech told me one of my wheels is slightly bent and I believe this is the thumping that I still feel. Thanks for all the suggestions and I will update again once I get the wheel replaced.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts