Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2014 CR-V makes tick tick (or click click) sound when the key is turn and the starter motor starts the engine. It sounds close to a metal grinding noise. It happens about once a day, not every time. The battery is normal, which always starts the engine OK. If I take the car to a dealer, suddenly it doesn't make the noise anymore, so they can't pinpoint. It is something similar when you hear when your batter is almost dead and you try to start the engine. What seems to be wrong??? Please help...

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'd guess some sort of relay is clicking but don't have a clue as to which one it might be. Sorry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. But, it is the same sound you hear when you turn your key to star your engine, but your batter is low and the engine doesn't start and just the start motor grunts. It doesn't seem to be a relay sound. It is somewhat similar to metal grinding noise. I suspect it is a bad start motor or something, but when I check the owner's manual, the starter motor is not covered by power train warranty. Mine is less than 3 years old, but just over 36,000 miles.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,644 Posts
Many have had their batteries fail after only a few years. I say: get it load-tested, also check the terminals for tightness.

If the battery tests good, open the vent caps (cut away the sticker) and inspect the electrolyte inside. It could be low...

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
If it sounds like it is in the dash just to the right of the driver, it might be the air/mix motor control unit. Do some research on it.
I know my Ody makes some noise like that sometimes and I haven't taken the motor control unit out yet and re-lubed it.
Kind of a fairly quiet grinding noise but usually only happens on the first start of the day. It is the motor 'seeking' the correct position.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found it

The dealer found it. It is VTC actuator noise. It is under their technical bulletin and replaced for free. I bought a Honda because people say Honda is reliable, but within 37,000 miles, I already replaced the mission, replace AWD axle. And now this issue. I am not buying a Honda anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts