Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum,
2000 crv twin cam, I just had my head milled due to an overheat problem. I have reassembled and I'm not sure I have the timing belt tight enough. When I disassembled I'm sure it was extreemly tight. After going by my manual I have slack in the belt. I can move the belt about 3/8 inch up and down between the 2 cam sprockets.
My manual says to loosen the adjustment pulley a half turn and turn the motor until the cam sprocket moves 3 teeth. I did that several times, it's still not tight. I'm doing something wrong or my adjustment pulley is malfunctioning. Also, I have 155-165 PSI in each cylinder, is that normal? My valve adjustment skill are lacking and I'll be readjusting soon.
Thanks, David

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't believe that you could change the belt tension that much with a head mill job. Try loosening the adjustment for the tensioner more that half a turn.

·
Registered
571 Posts
its normal to have some loose between the sprockets when you turn the crank by hand, when you turn the crank the loose goes away?

·
Banned
806 Posts
Unless I'am missing something here there is no way to tighten your timing belt. It is done by a tensioner that requires a press with a significant amount of force to reset. Some I have heard have used a large C clamp too. You pull the pin and the tensioner applies pressure to a pulley that then provides tension on the belt. I have done 6 of them on various makes and models. Factory Toyota belts had marks to get the exact teeth in between sprockets. If I get a belt that doesn't have those marks, I mark the old one myself before I pull it off and count the teeth and transfer the marks onto the new belt. Makes it easier IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts