Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 CRV LX AWD

Symptom: an extra ‘clunk’ when going over bumps. When looking for loose ball joints, stabilizer bar links, I found none of those, but did see the bushing at the bottom of the front strut is completely off center.....almost like the center of the bushing is just resting on the bottom of the bushing outer ring and not held by the rubber. What do you think? Is this the extra clunk?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,731 Posts
Could be, need to support the wheel/axle in its 'normal' position and give it the 'pry test' to see.

Also don't forget, sway bar links will clunk even without noticeable 'slop' or movement. Best diagnostic is to disconnect the end links and see if the clunk goes away.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Also don't forget, sway bar links will clunk even without noticeable 'slop' or movement. Best diagnostic is to disconnect the end links and see if the clunk goes away.
I found this out for myself. I had checked my stabilizer bar links when I changed struts both times in my '09. No rattle whatsoever. It was vexing me for a while since I could not figure out where this clunk was coming from. Finally, after going through a few other things, I had the front end up on stands and happened to glance at the lower end of the link--the rubber boot had a split. What happened was, when the car was on the ground, that link was "unloaded" and could rattle over the right types of bumps whereas, when it was in the air, the weight of the suspension kept it from flopping around.

Another source of mystery noises in my '97 were the front stabilizer bar bushings. I detected those by smacking my palm into the stabilizer bar from underneath, and I clearly heard it knocking inside the bushing. It sounds like it's coming through the floor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts