Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Did you stay with OEM 205/70/15 or go wider?

• Stayed with OEM 205/70/15

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • Went wider

Votes: 17 42.5%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gen 1 is due for new tyres. I am still on the original Bridgestone Duelers and they have become as noisy as a drunk geek on a karaoke night.

I have read numerous threads on tyres on the CR-V, but my problem is whether I should just stick to the OEM size of 205/70/15 or change to something a little wider, eg 215/65/15?

If I change to 215/65/15, do I have to change the spare tyre as well to keep them all the same size (so as not to affect the RT4WD system if I ever need to put the spare on)?

Although 215 is wider, isn't this size overall slightly smaller in diameter?

I am thinking at this stage maybe it's not worth the hassle and just to stick to the OEM size to be on the safest side.

I would just like to hear from other owners who have gone thru this decision process and what you did in the end, and whether you regretted your decision whatever that turned out to be. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When budget allows, I'm definitely going wider! The key is to keep the OEM diameter. this way all the great safety systems we have will still work...VSA, anti lock brakes,etc, not to mention the speedometer says accurate.
The best way I found to keep OEM diameter is to look at your tire and go the the manufacture web site,, avoid the calculators on web sites and here's why.
A goodyear vs toyo vs bridgestone vs all other manufacturers, have there own spec on tire diameter. Granted, most are within 1/2 " or less, it is still a difference! I had a Tahoe in 04 that the dealer said I voided my brake warranty due to oversize tires. Long story short, I brought him and his General manager to the Internet and showed him my toyo tires were the exact diameter as OEM on that year vehicle, then proceeded to show him that the Goodyears they were selling as OEM replacements were .03 diameter larger! I did enjoy the GM telling the service manager to fix my brakes:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Upgraded Tires in OEM size

In April of this year, I upgraded the tires on my '03 'V from the godawful Bridgestone Duelers to Michelin HydroEdge (In OEM size)

The HydroEdge, as you would guess by the name, are especially exceptional under wet conditions. These tires make my 'V handle like it was on tracks.

A bit expensive, but highly recommanded.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I must agree, did the same to my wife's 2002. She doesn't pay mush attention to what goes on in her car, but these caught her attention as soon as it got back from the shop.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
tires

I just put on a set of Michelin Hydroedge 215/65/15's on my 99 CR-V. It took care of the buffetting problemand it now drives as smooth as silk. They were expensive but worth every penny, especially with the 90,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have had my 99 V 4 a couple of months now and I am seriously hooked. I have been upgrading things 1 piece at a time. I happened on to a great deal on a brand new set of 17" Rims for a 2007 CR-V. In the next week or so I will have to post a Pic of how they look on the 99. I plan to buy Michelin HydroEdge's P225/55R-17 for it so it should look SWEET!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I went to the 215/70 and I regretted it everytime I make a sharp turn, they rub. when I replace them this time I will go back to the 205 or maybe a 195.

Chris
You should go for a shorter sidewall, not a shorter tread-width. Keep your traction. 215/65, maybe 215/60, depending on how much you're lowered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.