Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a mechanic. I really do not understand why gas gets in the oil. From what I have read on this site, temperature of climate and the engine in the CRV seem to be the reason for gas getting into and staying in the oil. If the engine is designed to rid the gas from the oil by means of evaporation, which requires that the motor get to operating temperature, how long does the engine need to run at operating temperature to get rid of the gas from the oil. If the evaporation of gas from oil does indeed happen with a warm engine then why don't the people having this problem simply run the engine for a longer period of time ?

I know I am missing something to understanding the problem and trying to keep it simple -- Thanks in advance for understanding.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I am not sure even Honda knows the answers to your questions. Any opinions you would get here would be guesses; there are various owners that report dilution after long drives. And if Honda knows they are not sharing that info.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
No body knows how long, way too many variables. Fuel has been diluting lubricating oil since the ICE was invented.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I am not sure even Honda knows the answers to your questions. Any opinions you would get here would be guesses; there are various owners that report dilution after long drives. And if Honda knows they are not sharing that info.
There are also those that have no oil dilution. The problem as stated before Honda does not know why some do and some don't and if driving styles or climate are contributing factors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts