Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over on the DriveAccord forums:

In essence, do I want to try to patch this thing together further, or throw in the towel and chase down a nicer/newer TSX? Having the car be reliable and not leave the kiddo stranded somewhere in downtown Detroit is #1, and with our cold/wet weather approaching rapidly for the next several months, I don't really have the luxury of being able to work on this easily until late April at the very earliest.

I still am within the return window for all the suspension parts I bought, and might throw in the new-in-box gas tank if we sell it as a mechanic's special.

This Accord was not very well taken care of, and lived a hard life. So I'm not all that upset to see it go.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I'm not a fan of dealing with rust issues, as once you start there's always another part that needs to be fixed or replaced.

My vote would be to sell it and buy something newer.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not a fan of dealing with rust issues, as once you start there's always another part that needs to be fixed or replaced.
Not only that, there's also the age and the amount of rust elsewhere. My '97 CR-V is at the point now where most things are impossible to work on, due to the corrosion. So I'm kind of leaning towards replacing it.

The exhaust is so messed up now that I would have to replace everything if it gets a leak. As I posted at the other forum, rather than replacing flanges that rusted away, they had someone just cut the flanged portions off and welded everything together. The only way to replace things now would be to try to get the Y-pipe before the catalytic converter loose from the exhaust manifolds, and replace every single piece. The only mounting flange besides those now is one remaining, well-rusted flange right before one of the mufflers (it has dual mufflers in the rear, one on each side).

Reading about that piece of the subframe, I could get a used one for under $200. But this is the part that supposedly supports the steering rack, and given how rusty the bolts are that hold on the steering lines and other bits and pieces, it would be a big struggle to do them all.

And like you say...who's to say I won't find some other rusted part when something else fails?

I'm checking out every TSX in a 500 mile radius right now. That one uses the same 2.4L K-series that is in our CR-Vs, and it had a higher rating from JD Power regarding long-term reliability. Parts are readily available. She doesn't want something big like a CR-V, but I prefer her in something a little more meaty than a Civic. The years I'm looking at all have the side airbags, VSA, ABS, etc.. I could get her into our 2004 Civic, but it burns too much oil, has no VSA or ABS, and only front airbags. Where she has to drive, it has to be reliable, and safe.

·
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,135 Posts
Yup, for the kid I would do it. Of course, any replacement bought used will have its own issues, but then it's about what you have to work with, which is a newer vehicle in overall better shape. No contest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts