Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CR-V EX, AWD, Sonic Grey Pearl & 1999 CRV EX, AWD, Green
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m changing the timing belt on my 99 crv. OEM parts (belt, tensioner, water pump, crank seal) are almost $300. Aftermarket are under $100. I don’t know much about parts, so buying oem would give me piece of mind. That said, I feel like an idiot spending $200 more for piece of mind. Any advice or suggestions regarding the quality difference?

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
214 Posts
Gates is the original equipment timing belt. I would never give honda 300 for the same stuff. Some will argue that the water pump in this kit is cheap. I can't even begin to imagine how many gates timing kits I have installed on various makes and models with no issue.

Timing belt water pumps are engineered to fail before the belt. People will do the timing belt job if they see coolant leaking. Otherwise the belt gets neglected.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
The no-name eBay kits I would avoid--there are even counterfeit Honda-labeled parts on eBay (and Amazon too, I'd imagine--I would only buy a Honda-branded part if the third party seller was an actual Honda dealer).

But belts from any of the major belting and/or rubber manufacturers like Gates, Dayco, Bando, Continental, etc., are all good quality since many of them make industrial belts that are often used under much more stressful conditions than an automotive engine, and they've all been around for decades. I would use any of those without hesitation.

Repackagers like you'll see in the "Economy" listing at Rock Auto are also ones I'd avoid, as we have no clue as to where they sourced the belts. (They are not belting manufacturers, in other words.) Honda, to an extent, does the same--they purchase these types of parts from suppliers. In other words, they do not make their own belts, water pumps, etc., same as any other auto company. But at least with Honda you're guaranteed to get better quality...at a price, though.

I believe a few of the timing belt kits might offer Aisin water pumps, which are also good quality (and OEM in some applications).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Gates or Continental. Both sell kits.
The water pump iirc gmb is what a lot of Honda guys use.
Get the best you can afford.
If YOU are the one installing the parts you have 2 options since it's you who will do the job put labor $ on good parts. The other option is to go with whatever you can afford now BUT keep in mind that cheap parts will cost more if something else fails because of bad quality parts.
Gates and continental have parts rated for 100,000 miles of light duty or 60,000 miles if its a heavy duty use vehicle( like towing or hauling small equipment).
I think I went with continental belt and a gmb water pump.
At the end you still need to make sure to check up on those parts periodically regardless of brand and quality, even the best brands can sell you a dud.
The mayor cause of failure of water pumps happens when the timing belt is installed too tight(damaging the shaft bearing and seal). And when the antifreeze is neglected or not mixed correctly. And don't forget the water thermostat while at it.
Gl

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
The other option is to go with whatever you can afford now BUT keep in mind that cheap parts will cost more if something else fails because of bad quality parts.
^ This right here. It's one thing to replace a cheap part elsewhere, but since the timing belt can cause serious engine damage when it fails, this is not the place to skimp on cost. A full timing belt kit will include the belt, a water pump and a new tensioner; there are some kits without a tensioner. I still had the original tensioner on my '97 with 290,000 miles on it, with no issues.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've never had a t belt break on me(knock on wood) but tensioner that I have not replaced have.
X2 on getting the whole kit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts