Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 CR-V 90k miles. Oil change record questionable.

Is it time for a new chain?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen more than enough broken timing chains. Is this thing an interference engine?

·
Banned
806 Posts
I have seen more than enough broken timing chains. Is this thing an interference engine?
I think your mixed up with a timing belt. Timing chains do go bad, but they last a long time. Timing belts typically are replaced at 60K or 90K miles for example. Depends on the vehicle manufacturer, and a lot of them are going away from belts and back to chains.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
GOF - Yes, it is an interference engine. Lots of stories here of kissed valves and broken engines due to timing chain/belt failures.

DIY Guy - I'm not disagreeing with about the longevity of chains, but if they're abused by lack of changing the oil regularly they will be the weak link in the chain, so to speak.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,605 Posts
In our Hondas, lack of maintenance causes timing chains to stretch, and an engine code will pop up. (P0341 I think...from memory)

It's not a catastrophic failure tho' so if you buy a used car, do your oil changes as recommended and you will be OK.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not confused. I know the difference between a chain and a belt. I have seen failures in both. What I lack is experience with these Honda engines.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to recommend a timing chain for this car. There is obviously some wear. Shown by the imprecise alignment of the timing marks. Caused me more trouble than I liked putting it back together when the rocker failed.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
A failed rocker at 90k miles is extremely rare.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to recommend a timing chain for this car. There is obviously some wear. Shown by the imprecise alignment of the timing marks. Caused me more trouble than I liked putting it back together when the rocker failed.
As well as any other internal engine part failure, and is a sure sign of neglected oil/filter maintenance.

Crankshaft position and cam positions are constantly checked and if any anomaly is detected there will be a Check Engine light with codes identifying the problem long before severe damage is likely. The positions of the camshaft sprockets can be misleading unless they are locked with lock pins. Pinning the sprockets is a BIG job.

In addition to chain stretch, the engine-oil controlled Cam Chain Auto Tensioner can change engine timing. It and two guides should be replaced if a new chain is installed.

What suggests some obvious wear may not be wear at all but the oddity of the way these adjustable valve trains work.

A timing chain replacement kit is about $200 with 9.2 hours labor which is commonly around $100 per hour and up.

God luck,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts