Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi! is there anyone who got an issue of a leak on their cars timing chain cover?
what could be the possible reason for this..

recently, i went for my crv oil change and they found out that there is an oil leak on my cars timing chain cover..as i ask at the reception, who manages my car and ask for the mechanic who check my car, she said the mechanic didnt go out for the customer to talk to thats why they are there..she just said that the sealant that was in there had been broken..this is actually my first time to heard that a car uses a sealant for that cover..i thought they are using a gasket for those..

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,111 Posts
Modern car are using fewer gaskets, Honda uses "Honda Bond" aka oil/gas resistant silicone sealant. If the car is under warranty absolutely have them repair it. If its a tiny leak you may want to just clean it up and keep an eye on it. Resealing the timing chain cover can be pretty expensive because of all the labor involved.

·
Registered
100 Posts
99.9 % of the time, it's the timing chain tensioner access cover( not the entire chain cover) that's leaking. 3 bolts and 1hr will fix it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
A couple of years back, I had a leak diagnosed at Acura for my TSX (same 2.4 L engine but higher compression than in the CRV if you happen to have that engine). Paid 80.00 and was diagnosed as a timing chain cover leak @ $1800.00 repair cost. Phoned my local repair guy to make an appt for a second opinion and I should have gone there the first time...his mechanic who used to work at Honda diagnosed over the phone...probably the timing cover shaft seal plus harmonic balancer pulley assembly. He said this is the most common cause of an oil leak for the 2.4L and he said he had not heard of a leak at the timing chain cover on that engine. Cost was $230.00 total. I am sure Acura would have charged the $1800. and then told me they found an additional leak at that seal @ maybe an additional $500.00 repair cost.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
711 Posts
Get a second opinion and have the mechanic show you exactly where the leak is (if there actually is a leak).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts