Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a code come on for my 2013 CRV and the dealer tells me that the timing chain is stretched. It's a costly repair. My car has 62K miles and is less than 5 years old, I have had the oil changed regularly at the dealership. I'm worried that something else is wrong that cuased the chain to stretch, I can't find anyone else who had such an early failure. Does anyone have a similar experience?

·
Registered
476 Posts
That's very premature for a chain to have problems.
You've had the oil service done at the dealership and
the oil lubricates the chain to keep it in good shape.

Is this car under warranty?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's very premature for a chain to have problems.
You've had the oil service done at the dealership and
the oil lubricates the chain to keep it in good shape.

Is this car under warranty?
It's just out of warranty, that ended at 60K. They suggested that it was most likely caused by low oil, but also achnowledged that I had been bringing the car in for regular oil changes. They offered an oil consumption test, where I stop in every 500 miles for 3000 miles. I'm happy to do that, but a $900 repair for a maintained Honda seems harsh.

·
Registered
101 Posts
$900 for a timing chain replacement is about normal but the mileage is unusual. Usually a well maintained vehicle should not have to have this done until well after 80,000+ miles. After 120,000 miles one knows that this will have to be done at some point, but I have heard of CR-Vs going over 200,000 miles.

I have over 152,000 on a 2005 V but we did the timing chain on a 2005 Nissan Altima at about 90,000 miles. We sold that car shortly thereafter.

It's a very costly repair in many vehicles that can run well over $1000-$1500 depending Union local labor costs.

I would not be happy about a Honda needing this at such an early mileage but if it breaks while you are driving, you will need a complete valve job and more. Not to mention a tow because the vehicle is inoperable and I wouldn't buy a car that had the timing chain break during operation. There are just too many things that can get damaged severely.

I'm sorry for this. I might see what Honda Customer Service has to say, but too many times you get "crickets," when out of warranty.

Don't you have a longer powertrain warranty, or did you buy the vehicle used ?

I dread this repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
2000 Miles out of Warranty and a car they have maintained---I might be going to
the owner of the dealership to work out a deal for service.
Of course I'm just that type of guy but You can do it.
Don't take this lying down for 900 clams.

let us know what is happening...

When you get anyone to change your oil
go to a gas station and check the level
and make sure they did it right---I always do.

Maybe it was low oil...from the dealership oil change.
My CR-V always maintains the proper oil level
from one change to the next.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If this was a timing belt, I might go along with it, but we're talking chain here on a new car with 62k on it.... chains do stretch but not into well over 100-150k miles.... Honda timing chains look like the treads on a tank very well made.....please do not have this service done until you speak to the service manager or contact Honda for some goodwill service ......

I recently took my '15 Altima in for something and they came back and said I needed front and rear brakes, rotors needed to be cut and the brake fluid was black and needed changing also and they wanted 1/2 hr rate for diagnosis..... yeah right...... oh yeah ... 17000 miles on her .....hahahaha

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have a 2004 CR-V with 294K miles and have not touched the timing chain--knock on wood.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
343 Posts
I was just reading about this last week.
Our timing chains will last a very long time if the oil is kept topped off.
I recently noticed my Gen. 3 uses close to a quart in 4000 miles. If you routinely run the car with the oil down 1/2 a quart or more, the timing chain may well wear (stretch) much sooner.
This car is still new to me, still learning, but I don't believe that item is included in the maintenance minder schedule. I wonder how the dealer determined the chain had stretched.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They told me they had a tool that they used when the chain was on the car. They also said that they recommended changing the oil far more often than recommended by Honda in the owner's manual or byt hem when I took the car in. I guess they weere recommending it to each other? I would have changed the oil more frequently if I had been told to, for one thing, and for another thing, is everyone changing it more frequently? Because hardly anyone is having this problem.

·
Registered
600 Posts
They told me they had a tool that they used when the chain was on the car. They also said that they recommended changing the oil far more often than recommended by Honda in the owner's manual or byt hem when I took the car in. I guess they weere recommending it to each other? I would have changed the oil more frequently if I had been told to, for one thing, and for another thing, is everyone changing it more frequently? Because hardly anyone is having this problem.
I use high mileage semi-synthetic oil and change it around every 7500 miles or maybe even a little longer. Change filter with each oil change. But I do keep close watch on the oil level and top it off when needed between changes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you find that you are losing oil? I get it changed every time the indicator light comes on, and they said they use completely synthetic oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you find that you are losing oil? I get it changed every time the indicator light comes on, and they said they use completely synthetic oil.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I add a quart about every 5000 miles, not all at once because I top it off every couple of weeks, but my car has 294,000 miles so it's to be expected. Probably leaking past seals and burning up in the catalytic converter. There are no leaks and no blue smoke.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
We have a '13 EX model.
I change the oil in it and filter when the MM says it's time.
I keep a close eye on the oil level too, checking it along with the tire pressure the first of every month just for drill. We have @28k miles on it so far. It hasn't used a drop of oil since we purchased it.
That being said, if it were me in your position, I'd be all over that dealer to get them to cover the chain work.
BUT, does it really need to be changed?
My bike chain stretched with the 700 miles I put on it the first year I had it.
Your car has a tensioner on the chain to take up the slight differences in length.
What made them even suspect that the chain needed changing in the first place?

edit- I re-read your first post and see it had a code showing. What was the code?

I'd be highly suspect if someone out of the blue said our chain needed changing, without my having given prior permission to their even looking at it. As far as I know, you can't get to it without opening up the engine which shouldn't have happened when doing a regular oil change.
I'd be asking a lot of questions before I said OK in your situation.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I feel someone is lying to you. In my 06, I run between 3 and 5 K for an oil change.
My car doesn't burn any oil that I can notice. I usually run synthetic but sometimes
run regular oil--it makes no difference as long as you keep it changed at at least 3,000 miles.
It is my understanding that the oil lubricates this chain and that is what keeps it cool and
in good shape.
My owners manual even states that under non-extreme driving conditions the oil can
last for 7,500 miles between changes.

Something smells fishy with these "service advisers".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I had the repair, the car seems the same but the warning lights are off. Absolutely everyone told me that I needed to change my oil more often, to not wait for the "oil life" to expire, or whatever happens to turn on the oil light in your car. Every time I took it in for oil changes before nobody saiud a thing about increasing frequency. I'm contacting Honda directly as the dealership was polite but seemed to think it was just bad luck for me, except for, again, they told me I'd be fine if I just got more frequent oil changes. Wish me luck with the Mother Ship. I've owned 5 Hondas. I can't imagine driving anything else, but I buy them for dependability. In truth they say it was oil, but we don't really know that, and if it is oil what else has been degraded?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I think that was just an excuse. Something to blame, beside a Honda caused problem.
But, since you are finished with the repair, i would sure recommend using a high quality synthetic oil like Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, etc.
Hell, even my '03 Odyssey's owner's manual stated to change the oil (conventional) every 7500 miles or one yr, whichever came first, under Normal conditions.
Also, it says to change the oil filter every 15k miles. Wow, that was before the high mileage oil filters came out. BUT, perhaps they were talking about the Honda oil filter which didn't filter out the smaller particles very well, so they probably didn't clog up as fast. :)
They are feeding you a Honda Dealer standard excuse. IMHO
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
So in the 62k miles you've driven, how many times did you get the oil changed?

If you're changing it based on the Maintenance Minder oil life, how can they possibly say you're not changing it often enough. The algorithms they use should account for harsher use and that would cause you to do it more often automatically.

I'd also like to know which dealer you're dealing with here as it sure doesn't sound like they're on the up 'n up to me.
Good luck dealing with Corporate. I hope they do right by you and cover all the costs involved as it sure sounds like a material defect and not lack of maintenance to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know off the top of my head, but it's all in the dealership records. They admitted as much. And then every one of four people I talked to said that oil really needed to be chenged more often, and that the service advisory was insufficient. Honestly I don't know much about cars, so I follow directions on how to take care of them. I would have followed the direction of someone who told me to change oil more frequently, but that never happened. Do you think there was other damage done to the car? That is my real worry. Did it have chronically low oil and now things aren't going to last?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts