Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
No you definitely don’t deserve that. Hopefully since they will step in and help since they have record of you taking it in for oil changes. Did you have any indicators? Like idling rough or engine surges?
No warning lights or changing in power. Just a random grinding noise that was hit or miss so I scheduled the appointment to take it in. Also the oil life said 30% before it died this week.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
No warning lights or changing in power. Just a random grinding noise that was hit or miss so I scheduled the appointment to take it in. Also the oil life said 30% before it died this week.
I think this is the 2nd V that I heard of doing this, so hopefully it's an isolated situation. There have been some high milage V's, even 4th gens, that haven't had that issue. It really sucks that this happened to yours and with such low miles. Hopefully Honda does right by taking care of you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think this is the 2nd V that I heard of doing this, so hopefully it's an isolated situation. There have been some high milage V's, even 4th gens, that haven't had that issue. It really sucks that this happened to yours and with such low miles. Hopefully Honda does right by taking care of you.
I hope so too, they said we should hear something in 24-48hrs and that was yesterday. I could tell the tech on the phone felt bad for me and said this should not have happened.

·
Registered
13 Posts
They called today and said I have been approved for Honda GoodWill! The biggest factor for approval was having a recored of all oil changes and checks at the dealer. I might have to endure some costs but not anything near 3500-4500$ as originally quoted. He said they are taking apart the engine Monday and will have a better understanding of the cost and discount then.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
They called today and said I have been approved for Honda GoodWill! The biggest factor for approval was having a recored of all oil changes and checks at the dealer. I might have to endure some costs but not anything near 3500-4500$ as originally quoted. He said they are taking apart the engine Monday and will have a better understanding of the cost and discount then.
There you go....Honda is helping you out.
Bad things do happen to good people (and good cars). Machines are not perfect and statistically bad things will just happen sometimes for what seems like no reason at all. But, the good news is....Honda is stepping up.

Years ago when I was working for Toyota my region (Boston at the time) would get a fair amount of money each month from Corporate to fix cars that were out of warranty but their failures were "questionable". Call it a "good will" repair or whatever. If we determined the problem was unusual and normally should not have happened then we could authorize the repairs either totally, or partially, covered by warranty.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I'm really glad to hear that!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have identical issue ... car would refuse to start in jan on coldest day in midwest. After some trying it lached up and gave strange engine noise and vibration. Unable to start the car towed it to dealer. They told me identical stuff-- you must not have changed oil. Got me for 1500 changing all the stuff mentioned in this thread - timing chain, VTC actuator, etc.
Finally got the car back and then after couple of weeks had trouble starting (had to try 5-10 times) ... finally got the starter motor replaced last week.

My car is 09 CRV but has only 56 K miles.

Is it not time we complained to corporate Honda?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Less than 100K on a chain /w a good record of oil changes and keeping the oil full (both are critical to chain / tensioner life) seems very low.

I had a P0341 code earlier this week with a stall @ idle, and had it towed to an independent shop after deducing the chain was probably stretched, or jumped a tooth, and it was definitely not worth risking smashing up the valves trying to drive it. Vehicle has 230K miles on it, with 80K of those done by me, but I don't know how good the first two owners were with oil changes. Was a little worried it might be the end of my CR-V, but the shop got the job done with OE Honda parts (chain, tensioner, VTEC sprocket, cover gasket) for $650. It's actually running a lot stronger and smoother than it did before now because the stretched chain must have had en effect on the timing even before it became critical.

Side story on timing chains, with some dose of irony. Two vehicle ago I had an Audi 3.2 V6 with notoriously junk timing chains. I was completely overzealous with oil on that vehicle, and still had issues with the chain at around 90K miles I believe. On that vehicle though, replacing the chains, tensioners, and guides was a $4K+ engine out job. When the MIL came on one winter day with the tell-tale signs of chain problems, I took the low road, and traded it in the next day.

In short, timing chain problems can be expensive, but if it's out of warranty, replacement on these 4 cylinder engines can be done at far less than the astronomical figure the dealer will quote if the head is fine. So there's that, and people complain just as much, if not more about timing belts that mandate replacement by age / mileage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Today I got the car back. In the end they said it would cost 8,000 in repairs (was 4500 when they said I had to endure cost) and "good" will'd it to 2400$ all said it done with taxes and all. They replaced the block and rebuilt the engine. We asked what we would get if we traded it in as is towards a new car as this was a paid off 2014 EX-L that was 27k new. We were told 5k... So had no choice but to pay the 2400$. On one hand I appreciate the 'good will' but having spent that kind of money up front and making every maintenance check and oil change stings badly today. I'm conflicted if I will continue to buy Honda's in the future. This was my first one as I heard they "last forever."

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Today I got the car back. In the end they said it would cost 8,000 in repairs (was 4500 when they said I had to endure cost) and "good" will'd it to 2400$ all said it done with taxes and all. They replaced the block and rebuilt the engine. We asked what we would get if we traded it in as is towards a new car as this was a paid off 2014 EX-L that was 27k new. We were told 5k... So had no choice but to pay the 2400$. On one hand I appreciate the 'good will' but having spent that kind of money up front and making every maintenance check and oil change stings badly today. I'm conflicted if I will continue to buy Honda's in the future. This was my first one as I heard they "last forever."
You did it by the book and spent extra money having Honda do your maintenance, and, you ended up taking it in the shorts.
That really sucks.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just paid $1100 for replacement of a "stretched chain". Engine light, power steering light, and traction control lights came on. No blinking. 1/1/19
My wife has taken care of her own car, the CR-V, taking it to the dealer for service. To save her some money, about a year ago I changed all the fluids and found the dirtiest air filter I'd ever seen.
Honda service at it's best...grrr
Since then I've done two oil changes, 5k interval. Then the engine light and chain issue!
I've had to push my wife to get her car in for service since it was new. Her oil was always black and I occasionally added oil, never more than a quart.
When speaking with Honda, after getting to the chain, they suggested the car had been run when low on oil. I pushed back as I have been checking her oil since day one. They then said oil consumption of 1 quart per thousand miles is considered acceptable. I couldn't believe they said that. (had read that on the internet as a Honda excuse) I told them that I had seen class action law suits against Honda for Accord and another model, not the CR_V. They acknowledged problems with some engines but, otherwise bit their collective lips. I was speaking with a service writer and the mechanic who diagnosed the problem. I asked the mechanic how low the oil had to be to a cause of chain stretching. he said 2 to 2 1/2 qts low. I asked if the chain was bathed or sprayed, he said bathed. He then said some times chain stretch just happens.

She paid, she wants Honda to do her maintenance from now on, OK with me. You pay!

I have been checking her oil daily, soon to be weekly. And will kick her ass all the way to Honda when the oil gets dirty.

Will add oil when needed.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Just paid $1100 for replacement of a "stretched chain". Engine light, power steering light, and traction control lights came on. No blinking. 1/1/19
My wife has taken care of her own car, the CR-V, taking it to the dealer for service. To save her some money, about a year ago I changed all the fluids and found the dirtiest air filter I'd ever seen.
Honda service at it's best...grrr
Since then I've done two oil changes, 5k interval. Then the engine light and chain issue!
I've had to push my wife to get her car in for service since it was new. Her oil was always black and I occasionally added oil, never more than a quart.
When speaking with Honda, after getting to the chain, they suggested the car had been run when low on oil. I pushed back as I have been checking her oil since day one. They then said oil consumption of 1 quart per thousand miles is considered acceptable. I couldn't believe they said that. (had read that on the internet as a Honda excuse) I told them that I had seen class action law suits against Honda for Accord and another model, not the CR_V. They acknowledged problems with some engines but, otherwise bit their collective lips. I was speaking with a service writer and the mechanic who diagnosed the problem. I asked the mechanic how low the oil had to be to a cause of chain stretching. he said 2 to 2 1/2 qts low. I asked if the chain was bathed or sprayed, he said bathed. He then said some times chain stretch just happens.

She paid, she wants Honda to do her maintenance from now on, OK with me. You pay!

I have been checking her oil daily, soon to be weekly. And will kick her ass all the way to Honda when the oil gets dirty.

Will add oil when needed.
How many miles and what year?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Newbie here. 153,000 miles on my 2012 CRV EX. I'm the original owner. Always went by Maintenance Minder, which ended up being an oil change every 10,000 miles. Just had exact same issue. VSA, EPS, and Check Engine lights. Mechanic said chain jumped a tooth due to not keeping up with oil changes. I noticed in October it was low on oil, and again this time after only 6,000 miles. I now know I have to keep a close eye on this. My repair was around $700 at an independent mechanic in PA. Annoyed that dealer never mentioned low oil or that I should be doing my changes more often.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Newbie here. 153,000 miles on my 2012 CRV EX. I'm the original owner. Always went by Maintenance Minder, which ended up being an oil change every 10,000 miles. Just had exact same issue. VSA, EPS, and Check Engine lights. Mechanic said chain jumped a tooth due to not keeping up with oil changes. I noticed in October it was low on oil, and again this time after only 6,000 miles. I now know I have to keep a close eye on this. My repair was around $700 at an independent mechanic in PA. Annoyed that dealer never mentioned low oil or that I should be doing my changes more often.
Dang, sorry to hear that. Definitely keep an eye on your oil level. I check my oil once a week and change it no more than 7,500 miles regardless of what the MM says.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My mothers 2014 Honda, with ~79k miles, has the engine warning light -P0341, traction control light, power steering warning light. I took it to my Mechanic that I use for items that I am too lazy/inadequate to perform. The mechanic came back with the car needs the engine rebuilt, $4.2k atleast. They say it is burning oil, and the timing chain is stretched. Ok....the only symptoms that this car has are the lights. No loss of power, no smoke....I am thinking, you gotta be kidding me. I am going to do compression test and drive it for a week. The mechanic said the 0/20W synthetic demanded for these Hondas is too thin and the Engines are burning up the oil. This is a bad dream. I want to trust my mechanic that I have been using for 20 years...but I gotta get a second opinion. Any one else experience this issue on a low mileage Honda CRV EX-L?

·
Registered
378 Posts
it should have a loss of power when the p0341 sets because it disables the VVT ,really what I would do is replace the chain and tensioner and the pcv valve and do the piston soak with seafoam while the chain work is being done and a new valvecover gasket ,then keep up with the oil consumption 5w20 might help too, some of the neglected k24's use 1 qt every 1k so the pcv and piston soak should reduce that,I just did my 2005 with 200k and used the k24a2 tensioner that's supposed to be a little better,here's some photos of my chain it was only throwing the code after sitting for a few hours thats how it starts out then gets to the point it sets all the time,if the VSA comes on that means it set the code again,looking at the data I was able to see it disable the VVT and notice the loss of power when the p0341 set ,from what it sounds like the mechanic thinks the pistons hit the valves and or it was ran out of oil,did the CRV get towed or drove to the shop?

Attachments

41 - 57 of 57 Posts