Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2010 Honda CRV with a Timing Chain. For the first time the dealer recommended to me to have it changed. I am at 140,000 miles. Is this a common maintenance item? I thought that was true with Timing Belts but not Timing Chains.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,919 Posts
While timing chains last a LOT longer than belts, they DO stretch with the miles. They won't snap and damage the engine as a timing belt would.

Honda engines where the oil level has been allowed to get low repeatedly, have been known to suffer from stretched timing chains.

That said, as long as you have monitored and maintained your oil level and don't get any CEL codes from the crankshaft and camshaft being out of sync, there is no action required.

·
Registered
110 Posts
^^^ yep, as long as the oil level has always been between add and full, the chain will likely live longer than the car. There is a built-in automatic tensioner to deal with small amounts of wear.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Yeap, they do wear like anything. Just last longer

However your first and biggest mistake ever is listening to a dealership about anything a car needs besides fluid changes. I see it daily, dealerships trying to sell work a car doesnt need for another 10k or more.

Take it to a proper independent shop and see what they say.

Now if your engine is making noise when it starts and such, it is common for the vtc actuator assembly or timing chain tensioner to be having issues, so a timing chain replacement is required to fix. If the chain comes too loose it can jump teeth and potentially damage the engine. Not common as most people fix it before it gets that bad.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeap, they do wear like anything. Just last longer

However your first and biggest mistake ever is listening to a dealership about anything a car needs besides fluid changes. I see it daily, dealerships trying to sell work a car doesnt need for another 10k or more.

Take it to a proper independent shop and see what they say.

Now if your engine is making noise when it starts and such, it is common for the vtc actuator assembly or timing chain tensioner to be having issues, so a timing chain replacement is required to fix. If the chain comes too loose it can jump teeth and potentially damage the engine. Not common as most people fix it before it gets that bad.

Thank you for your comment. I just got the cooling fluids flushed and replaced, so I thought the comment from the Dealer's Service people was misplaced. I normally change the oil around 4 4,000 to 5,000 miles, so the vehicle has had really consistent in it's maintenance. I may rethink doing this maintenance. How has the longevity of the water pumps been, I haven't changed that either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ yep, as long as the oil level has always been between add and full, the chain will likely live longer than the car. There is a built-in automatic tensioner to deal with small amounts of wear.
Any way to check the condition of the timing chain.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Take that end of the engine apart is the only way I know of.

Seriously, don't worry about it.

The water pump on my 07 k24a-series engine lasted for 170,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
My water pump has 246k miles on it and still going. And that's any easy fix when, if ever that it goes bad. Make sure to change your thermostat though, if that goes bad and you overheat that cut the pumps life way down. I changed mine for piece of mind more than once now.

You can check condition of chain if you know and have the tools by pulling valve cover only off. But that's not 100%

If there is noise solely from the front of the engine or worse codes for crank or cam sensor is a good indication timing chain is out. 4-5k on oil changes is fine if using quality oil.

My chain made it to 165k if I remember right before there was noise and put a chain and tensioner in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dont touch the chain.
Im at 380km (2002) and its fine. Just dont let the oil go low. The chain lasts the lifetime of the engine inless the oil goes low.
If the dealer is asking you to change it, he is making money out of you.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Dont touch the chain.
Im at 380km (2002) and its fine. Just dont let the oil go low. The chain lasts the lifetime of the engine inless the oil goes low.
If the dealer is asking you to change it, he is making money out of you.
I really wish people WOULD STOP WITH THIS BAD INFORMATION. It is WRONG!

Timing chains DO NOT last the life of an engine. But people junk the engine when the timing chain goes because they listen to uneducated people like this guy.

Change the timing chain every 150-175k miles and you'll see 400k miles or more from your engine. Listen to people like this guy, if you make it to 200k you'll be one of the elite luck ones.

It's like saying a timing belt will last the life of an engine, just plain wrong.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you for your comment. I just got the cooling fluids flushed and replaced, so I thought the comment from the Dealer's Service people was misplaced. I normally change the oil around 4 4,000 to 5,000 miles, so the vehicle has had really consistent in it's maintenance. I may rethink doing this maintenance. How has the longevity of the water pumps been, I haven't changed that either.
Im at 188k with original water pump. Although i have replaced the thermostat and hoses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts