Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm looking to get my front side windows tinted (probably 30%) by a professional tint shop. This is my first time ever getting tint on a car. My 2018 EX-L Sandstorm is 5 months old and I also bought a HondaCare extended warranty. The tint shop I'm going to is highly recommended with tons of EXCELLENT reviews. This shop takes off the door panels when installing tint as this is the correct way to do tinting. I was wondering by taking the panels off the doors for this tint job, will it void any warranty on the car should I have a issue later down the road (a year or 7 from now) with anything door, window, electronics related?

Anything else I need to know about tinting before I step foot in their shop? I think the owner mentioned 3M FX Premium tint for my car, though he has others. And BTW, this shop offers a lifetime warranty on their work.

Thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
1. Taking off panel doesn't void warranty. Now if they mess something up like wiring. Yeah it will cost $$.
2. Why take off panel in the first place? Mostly all tint shop do it without. It is the newest technology. They cut the tint from plotter, clean window, heat shrink and install.
3. Shop around. I think 3m fx premium doesn't have color change warranty. So wish you good luck IF it changes color in future.
4. Please don't cheap out, get a carbon or ceramic film. Ask this shop if they have 3M color stable(carbon film), it will cost more than FX-Premium.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Jayp is right, they don't remove any panels and in any case it will not void your warranty.
I also would say make sure you get Ceramic tint, although my preference is LLumar CTX.

Rob

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
On a more general basis, there's no single act that will void the warranty for the entire car. If you were to remove the door panels (a pretty common thing to do in general), you wouldn't have warranty coverage if you broke them when putting them back on, but the rest of the car would be fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. Taking off panel doesn't void warranty. Now if they mess something up like wiring. Yeah it will cost $$.
2. Why take off panel in the first place? Mostly all tint shop do it without. It is the newest technology. They cut the tint from plotter, clean window, heat shrink and install.
3. Shop around. I think 3m fx premium doesn't have color change warranty. So wish you good luck IF it changes color in future.
4. Please don't cheap out, get a carbon or ceramic film. Ask this shop if they have 3M color stable(carbon film), it will cost more than FX-Premium.

They do carry the 3M color stable and I will ask about it. Unfortunately, they don't carry the LLumar brand, but have SunTek, HuperOptic, and HanitaTek, along with 3M.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have SunTek CXP 35 ceramic tint and couldn't be happier with the results. I didn't want my windows too dark because I have issues driving at night, but I wanted all the other benefits of the ceramic tint.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have FormulaOne Pinnacle (Nano Ceramic)
5% Windshield Strip
35% Front 2 Doors
50% On rear(on top of factory privacy glass)

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX-L FWD
362 Posts
I have FormulaOne Pinnacle (Nano Ceramic)
5% Windshield Strip
35% Front 2 Doors
50% On rear(on top of factory privacy glass)

I did 35% on side and back windows about a year ago. Love the installation quality and heat reduction of the Pinnacle series........:party:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I know right. Its the best, you can feel the difference. It helps interior cool faster.
I did 35% on side and back windows about a year ago. Love the installation quality and heat reduction of the Pinnacle series........:party:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'll agree, tint on the front two windows (driver/passenger) makes things much more comfortable (even in the winter), it's not just a temperature thing, it's the reducing glare thing. As you can see from my photo, I also have the OEM wind deflectors, which, unlike popular aftermarket brand Weathertek, is VERY dark. This combined with tint has really helped block on very irritating sun when it's at an angle that hits you right in the side of your forehead. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had all my cars' windows tinted and never did they removed the door panels.... hope they don't manually cut them too with a box cutter :)

The place I go to have a computer and a plotter to cut the tint.

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
if you see Purple you got rooked. If you can see at night even better. but if you like getting pulled over each and every time an officer has to risk tehir lives that is something I really think about then looking cool unless you got Skin cancer and think tint will help by all means best of luck to ya. no offense 30% is to high.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OP here. I opted for the 3M Crystalline tint at 40% which is perfect for me – not dark, not too light. 40% will help with my night driving and glare. Owner was quite informative. At the shop, I was able to feel the heat coming through various types of tinted films with an infrared heat lamp, and with the Crystalline, I barely felt any heat on my hand opposed to others – all varieties of 3M product.

I asked why they removed the door panels. Was told it’s because they use a lot of water for film application and the water runs down the inside door panels getting into the window and controls which may cause electrical issues later. In addition, having the film below the edge of door panel prevents peeling when opening/closing windows. Everything was replaced in perfect condition so no worried. They have been doing it this way to every car for 2 decades. I can see why their customer reviews are stellar.

·
Registered
264 Posts
OP here. I opted for the 3M Crystalline tint at 40% which is perfect for me – not dark, not too light. 40% will help with my night driving and glare. Owner was quite informative. At the shop, I was able to feel the heat coming through various types of tinted films with an infrared heat lamp, and with the Crystalline, I barely felt any heat on my hand opposed to others – all varieties of 3M product.

I asked why they removed the door panels. Was told it’s because they use a lot of water for film application and the water runs down the inside door panels getting into the window and controls which may cause electrical issues later. In addition, having the film below the edge of door panel prevents peeling when opening/closing windows. Everything was replaced in perfect condition so no worried. They have been doing it this way to every car for 2 decades. I can see why their customer reviews are stellar.
Pics? Also did you only get front 2 windows or whole car. Crystalline is great film but costs to much.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I got Llumar F1 Pinnacle 35% all around and Air 80 on the windshield. While I've had my last three cars tinted, I had never had the windshield done before. I think that may be the biggest factor for keeping the car, or at least the front seat area cooler.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i got Suntek CXP carbon all around. 45 for the front sides, and 18 for the back 3. Flawless installation. I hope the front sides are not an issue with CHP. Around here, there lots of illegal tints (CA limits front sides to 70%) because of the heat. $250 for the works. It was 97 yesterday, it makes a big difference.

·
Vendor
859 Posts
Hi everyone,

I see, that OP has already had the windows tinted. Still, I decided to step in to share some information about the warranty in terms of aftermarket car mods. According to Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act,

'Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))'.

You can view the full text of the Act by following this link.
We've been in the aftermarket car parts business for years, that's why we know the way this works.
Hope you will find this information helpful. It's always good to know your rights.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,879 Posts
Yes, understand the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, but the aftermarket part, in this case the tint material, is not the question. It's the labor of taking the door panel off and reinstalling it that may be cause for concern if it later proves that a seal, weather strip, moisture barrier or other part was damaged during the tint install, leading to a failure of a OEM part.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I thought I'd mention, as trivial as this might be, that in CA the front windows (driver/pass) it is illegal to tint. As explained to me by the shop that tinted my windows. The law says that you cant tint those windows up to a certain percent but that percentage is already taken up by whatever the factory puts in the windows to begin with so obviously anything you put on top of it will exceed this amount and is therefore illegal. Of course, I've been driving around all my cars with tinted fronts for ages and never had any trouble. Honda Accords and CR-V's are not likely to draw police attention to begin with.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.