Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my tax refund i am tinting my window is my 98 V. I have stickers on the back three windows that are around the trunk. When i get my windows tinted to they tint it on the inside of the windows like the ones that come in those cheap film kits on ebay? I really don't want to remove those stickers cause it is a pain in the ass and i like them too:)

·
Registered
271 Posts
If the stickers are on the inside of the glass, yes remove them. If they are on the outside/exterior, no.

Window film is always applied to the inside of the window.

If you are going to pay somebody big bucks to tint the CRV, they should remove them for you. So no worries other than the actual loss of the stickers.

Are you considering 35%, 15%, 50%, 5%? I would stick with Llumar brand tint.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
you should get 5% tint it lookes the best, keepa the car cooler, and thats what i have on my 98. the tint always gets applied onto the inside. and by the by ask the shop what you can and can't use to clean the windows after they get tinted so you don't ruin it by mistake.

·
Registered
716 Posts
when it comes to tinting windows - get a pro to do it and buy good quality film coz the tint will most likely stay on your windows for as long as you own the car.

i always get limo tint (5%) for all windows behind the driver. front windows i do either 50% or 35%, depending on the color of the interior and size of front windows / windshield.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have 5 % all around

depending on what state you live in the tint law may vary but i live in georgia and found out the hard way. i have a 99 v and i have 5% tin all the way around and a 7 in strip on the windsheild. no dount it changes the look of the car completely but the ticket is a pretty penny. 250$ was how much my ticket was so pick something dark but be careful

·
Registered
568 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
The fines are around $75 in my area of Ohio. The 5% tint on my other car and truck is worth every penny of the ticket. I've only had 1 in 8+ years. I would still have it on there after 10 tickets.

But it does give the cops a good reason to pull you over.......

The limit in Ohio last time I checked was 50% which is barely worth installing. I wouldn't put on anything over 15%. Even the 35% is too light in my opinion. At 35% you get the same ticket as 5%. The factory tint will lower the % a little also.

Next step for me, tint the windows on my house!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so 5% back and rear(darkest) and 35% front? I like the sounds of that and i really dont care about the laws against tint.. at all. I cant wait to get my moneez from the taxes:D

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
There's a big thread on this already, where i showed the fact that "tint laws" aren't real. IF your windows are too dark, you will get a ticket, if the windows have any tint film on them, you can get a ticket, you're allowed to have tint, as ong as it came stock from the factory. If you're not a suspect, an unsafe driver, or doing anything else at the time, you should be okay. Those tint laws only apply for the vehicle if it came like that stock, and you can never tint blue or red, regardless. Different states vary on what the police will do. Altering the height of your vehicle in any way (raising or lowering) is illegal, but very rarely do you see it enforced.

Same idea with tint. No one wants to pull you over and then get shot in the face, that's the only reason for the tint rules. There is no tint allowed on any of the driver, or passenger, or front windshield AT ALL in Ca, and most western states.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya i 100% agree, there are ricers in my town that have completely blacked out windows and whenever i see a cop drive by them they never get pulled over, meanwhile the bottom of their car is dragging on the ground with their stupid body kits.

·
Registered
568 Posts
5% rear and 35% front seem ok. I wish I had that type of setup but I have stupid factory tint on my V

I also put a visor tint on mine

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya i was looking at your V. I want mine to be just like that depending on price. The rear and back windows have to be tinted because i mountain bike and there will be a $3000 mountain bike that will be residing back there from time to time. My bike is $2500 short of how much my V was bought for, kind of weird to think about:rolleyes:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Ya i was looking at your V. I want mine to be just like that depending on price. The rear and back windows have to be tinted because i mountain bike and there will be a $3000 mountain bike that will be residing back there from time to time. My bike is $2500 short of how much my V was bought for, kind of weird to think about:rolleyes:
Lol. Well the price of tinting is all the "same" no matter how dark or light the film is. If you want a dark but not too dark that it's hard to see out at night, get 15% rear tint and either a 35% or 50% front. 35% is usually the "limit" (it's illegal in my area and could be in yours also but I mean "limit" because it's the darkest you can go without having too much police problems with it)...

5% rear windows will be dark and maybe difficult to see out at night so I think it's safe to stick with 15% or 20% front..

If you want to be totally sure with the right percent tint (most of us are, and usually we never really have a sneak peak of what would look good until we get it installed and pay for it) go to Walmart or somewhere that sells a roll of tint film. DO NOT use that film as your permanent tint but just use it as an example and test it out. Buy a 5% and/or 15% and a 35% and test it out on your windows. Stick it on your windows especially at night to see if visibility is ok with you. Buying two rolls of tint will cost you probably around $20 but that's better than jacking out that $200 for a whole car tint job ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Most installers have a display set up to show customers what the tint will be like, or even an example car or truck. Make them work for their money.

5% is dark and can effect night vision, the 15% also. The 35% and 50% are hardly worth installing for such a small difference in my opinion. I have 5% on my truck and car and I'm very happy with it. I'll be putting 5% on the CRV also.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Most installers have a display set up to show customers what the tint will be like, or even an example car or truck. Make them work for their money.

5% is dark and can effect night vision, the 15% also. The 35% and 50% are hardly worth installing for such a small difference in my opinion. I have 5% on my truck and car and I'm very happy with it. I'll be putting 5% on the CRV also.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Question for Serj22 on this:
if the windows have any tint film on them, you can get a ticket

If we do the DIY method, that seems like "film" that's a big sticker that you squeegee on. Are you saying that any application of this sticker kind of tint is considered film and is illegal?

I guess I'm just confused.

The tinting law sites say "net/film." If my state (CA) has a "NET" designation, are they saying that only tinting nets like those suction cup things are the only way I can go? It's freakin California for pete's sake. I see tinted windows on almost every car.

I know going DIY seems risky. But it's almost free so I might want to try that. I'll call around for quotes just to see what the shops want. I'm sure there are some good ones around here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am also looking to tint my windows and have been given a quote of 240 for all of them. Does this sound like a fair price? Also im not sure how dark i wanna go but as of now the windows have zero tint.

·
Registered
312 Posts
That sounds like the going rate. In CA I was quoted 200 for everything from the B pillar back.

Also, does anyone know if, when they do the tinting, do they pull the trim and tint everything including covering the existing blackout decals with the tinting film?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.