Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm new around here, thought I'd stop by to get some advice on shopping for a used CR-V. I'm looking for an old one, probably one of the 97-2001 models. I've found one with just over 200,000 miles for an asking price of 2900. I'm in Austin Tx and it seems that in general the prices are a little higher here than I'd expect.

I guess these are my main questions.

1. Would you purchase a CR-V with 200k miles or over? I know this really comes down to how well a car was maintained, but I'm having trouble coming up with ways to identify that, outside of someone having all their maintenance and oil change records, which seems pretty rare so far. I'm ideally looking for something under 3500 with less than 200k miles, but I'm not really finding much of that in my area. Another one I've seen is a 99 with 154k asking 3700. In a dream world I'd love to get a 2002, but it seems out of my price range. Any advice on fair price, and how to identify a well maintained car would be much appreciated.

2. What are common problems with high mileage cr-vs that I should ask about? I know to ask about timing belts with the idea that they should be changed every 80k-100k miles. Anything else you can think of? Are there certain part replacements or work done that would make you more comofrtable buying one with over 200?

3. I'm 6'5" so legroom is huge for me. Are there significant differences between generations on the cr-v's or individual years when it comes to cr-v's? Also, when I test drove a 1998 it seemed like the arm rest was pretty low, is this the same on all models? Any info or links to the differences between generations and individual years with a generation would be great.

OK, those are the main questions, but I'm pretty ignorant about cars and used car buying in general and ANY advice or links on crv's or car buying in general would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks a lot for your time and sorry is this post is obnoxiously naive! Take me to school!

Many thanks,

-Alex

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am new to CRV's but there were some real major changes in the GenerationI you are looking at and the next GenII.

One thing is the GenI had a Timing Belt and those need to be replaced every so often. Chances might be the seller doesn't want to invest the money in that repair so leaves it to the next guy. So your investment could wind up costing you another $600 right off the bat.

The GenII has a Timing Chain which, in theory, does not require replacement so no added cost to you.

But there are several here that can give you some far more experienced responses so I will grab a desk next to yours and get ready for some schoolin' ;-)

But remember this: If you are not embarassed by your first offer then it is not low enough! (Credit for this goes to one of the best businessmen I have ever known).

Cheers

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
On a car this old with this many miles, a good solid maintenance history will go a long ways in making your purchase a good one. Buying from an original owner would be ideal, but, that is really pie in the sky wishful thinking for one of these now days. I would bet most of the cars you'll be looking at are on their third or fourth owner. Again, regular maintenance is key here.
When you do look at a car, make sure it is dead cold when you start it for the first time, if at all possible. Cold starting will tell you a lot about how the engine is running.
Does it smoke?
Start easily?
Make funny noises?
Warm engines can hide a lot.
Do you have a reputable mechanic you can have look over the car?
Is the seller even willing to let you have a mechanic look at it?
Give it a thorough test drive, try all the switches/features to make sure they work.
These are just the starting points for any used car purchase.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
If you can, grab a 99-01 instead of 97-98. It has 20 extra stock horsepower!

I hate to say it but anything with 200,000 miles is a crap shoot. Could you find them cheaper in California per chance?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
At around 200k miles timing belt should have been changed twice in a gen 1 crv and also the water pump.
As Rickman has pointed out better to get the 99-01 models which have the xtra horsepower. With a 12+ yr old car Rust can be a problem if it has been in areas where it snows. Check the maintenance history and make sure the valves have been adjusted, gen 1 needed to have this done every 50k miles or so (not sure about exact interval but a quick search can get you that info). get a mechanic look into it for sure.
If maintained well these cars can do 300-400k. The gen 1 has a reputation of being bulletproof with normal maintenance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My suggestion would be to ask for an extended test drive. Take it out, drive it for at least half an hour. Then swing by a friendly mechanic and have him take a look at it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts