Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I need to replace my left front mount for my 1st gen CRV. Apparently the bolts that hold the mount to frame are not only very likely rusted in, but are attached to 18mm nuts WELDED (!?) on the back side of the frame. Just like this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh9HUN--LcQ) and accompanying review (http://www.amazon.com/review/R1VGJ59JGE1EZ6/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000CGHR76) shows, its entirely possible to over torque the bolt upon removal and snap the welded nut off, leaving you with a spinning nut in a difficult area.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Mine were in bad shape, but I got them out using an impact gun. I used plenty of PB blaster as well as the in-out method. First I squirted some blaster blindly up through some holes in the frame, then i tried removing them. They would loosen slightly. I sprayed some blaster on the threads that came out and then tightened them back down. I just worked them back and forth until they came out.

Mine were in bad shape, but they came out without breaking them. Using an impact might be about the only thing you can do since it doesn't transmit as much torque to the nuts as a breaker bar would.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine were in bad shape, but I got them out using an impact gun. I used plenty of PB blaster as well as the in-out method. First I squirted some blaster blindly up through some holes in the frame, then i tried removing them. They would loosen slightly. I sprayed some blaster on the threads that came out and then tightened them back down. I just worked them back and forth until they came out.

Mine were in bad shape, but they came out without breaking them. Using an impact might be about the only thing you can do since it doesn't transmit as much torque to the nuts as a breaker bar would.

After spending sometime reading across boards, the number of people who snapped the nut from the welding is surprising. Seems the access point is by drilling a new hole from the front.

Absent an impact, I was thinking of just hand wrench and some heat/wax, initially just use the wax to cool the bolt head fast and when it comes out a bit, try to get the wax in the threads.

I may wait until more is wrong than just slight vibration before attempting this one....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Cut/damage the engine Mount to get free acces to the bolt head.

Warm the rusted bolthead with an oxygen/gas welder using a small nose (it must be glowing not melting) then unscrew it with a Long Nose Locking Plier or similar with good teeth. Going backward and forwards some times and it will come loose. Done it a lot of times here and there, works every time. You need to grab the bolthead while its still glowing

·
Registered
286 Posts

This is the best approach to the rusted nuts and bolts removal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts