Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again folks , thanks for your help previously ,
New problem this time , after going over a bumpy road yesterday , my rear wheel collapsed against the body of the vehicle , after getting a recovery truck home , on taking off the wheel , I found that the lugs which attach one of the struts to the rear subframe have disintegrated , allowing the wheel to collapse in to the body .
It is an easy fix with a weld , but as the diesel tank is only about 6 inches away, it may be safer removing the subframe from the vehicle , and then welding in two new brackets .
So I am interested to hear from anyone who has done this recently , and hear what tips and advice you have for me , I will be doing this " kerb side mechanic style " ;-) and already have the basic tools .

Thanks in advance ,
Grandad mechanic .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Wow, that's really rusted out. Unfortunately you don't live in the US--a salvage yard in the southern half of the country would probably have a nice clean subframe for you to replace it with. (Having one shipped to you from the US would be prohibitively expensive.) I would imagine the same bracket on the other side is similarly rusted. It may be difficult to find a place to weld cleanly on metal that is so badly corroded.

We are getting rid of our 2002 Accord because the rear half of the front subframe (called the "rear beam") has a rust hole through it, and the only repair possible is to find a clean, used rear beam from a salvage yard. The Accord has so many other things that need attention that it's just not worth the work or putting money into.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that's really rusted out. Unfortunately you don't live in the US--a salvage yard in the southern half of the country would probably have a nice clean subframe for you to replace it with. (Having one shipped to you from the US would be prohibitively expensive.) I would imagine the same bracket on the other side is similarly rusted. It may be difficult to find a place to weld cleanly on metal that is so badly corroded.

We are getting rid of our 2002 Accord because the rear half of the front subframe (called the "rear beam") has a rust hole through it, and the only repair possible is to find a clean, used rear beam from a salvage yard. The Accord has so many other things that need attention that it's just not worth the work or putting money into.

Thanks for your reply Wildcat , much appreciated , yes , that might be the way to go , we have a good breakers yard , here in Fife , Scotland , which has a few CRV's in the yard at present , we might be taking a trip down there , in the not too distant future , after I tackle removing the subframe !:)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I don't think removing the subframe is all that difficult. Tedious? Yes, as you have to remove all the suspension components and any brake lines and wiring. And you would need an alignment when you're done. I'm hoping someone else here may have a service manual with the exact procedure who could help you out.

I believe the rear subframe in the 2002 Accord requires removing 12 bolts (in the V6 model). I would have to do that if I replaced the gas tank, as the tank is strapped to the top of the subframe. It is probably similar--it requires removing some of the suspension components before loosening the subframe bolts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that Wildcat ! This morning , ( in Scotland ) I visited two garages , and one welding yard , finally found a local garage who are going to put the vehicle up on the ramps , and access the work needed . They may be able to fabricate a new bracket , and weld it too the subframe , thus doing away with removing the subframe from the vehicle , if they can , that would save me a lot of work . I asked them to check the other side too , and renew any bushes as well ! They will probably get to it next week , as they are shutting down for the week-end ..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Grandad mechanic,how you sorted out the rear subframe? I have the same problem like you,so please help me

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello there , sorry to hear that , I know that it comes as a bit of a shock when you realise the work needed to rectify it .
I didn't need to remove the rear subframe , as I managed to find a skilled welder , who fabricated a new bracket , and welded it in to the subframe . Not something your local Honda garage would recommend , I don't suppose , but it got me back on the road , within a few days . Failing that , you can source a replacement subframe on line from a breaker's yard , but make sure it is the one specific to your model , as there are different ones .
Hope that helps ,
GM .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts