Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TPMS light keeps going on.I checked all the tires(inc. the spare)and the pressures are fine.Anyone know what gives??THanks in advance!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Earlier this week my tpms light (the soft tire icon) came on. I immediately thought of the drop in temperature lowering the air pressure and checked the tires. the two front tires were 1 or 2 lbs. lower than the 30psi I had set them to. After adding air and driving a few miles the light went out. :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
1 or 2 pounds won't turn on the low-pressure indicator.

Earlier this week my tpms light (the soft tire icon) came on. I immediately thought of the drop in temperature lowering the air pressure and checked the tires. the two front tires were 1 or 2 lbs. lower than the 30psi I had set them to. After adding air and driving a few miles the light went out. :)
I have run mine from 36 to 24 pounds from 110 degrees to 0 degrees with no lights. Not sure how much it takes but I have seen 4 pounds difference with no alarm.

My wife's '07 TPMS light has been intermittent for a few weeks. It has nothing to do with air pressure. It means something in the system is broken with a code set. In our case it was the left front battery low. Dealer replaced it under Honda Care warranty.

The light for a low pressure error is an upside down tire symbol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
yes is happened to me this week too, set tires pressure when outside temperature around 70F at 30 PSI and this week temperature is in the 30F and the soft tire icon came on when checked pressure all 4 tires at only 26.5 PSI so I pump it to 33 PSI because is will get colder in forecast and the soft tires icon went away. when the tires pressure change only at ~5 PSI you can't notice from just looking at the tires so the system does the job perfectly :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
My TPMS light came on the other day. Pressures are all fine as check them always. Didn't realize the sensors had batteries in them, must be the same thing.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
TPMS battery CANNOT be changed!

Is it easy to change the batteries??
The whole sensor must be replaced. They are supposed to last the lifetime of the vehicle.

They have a battery because they are actually very low power radio transmitters. To reduce usage of the battery, they have an inertial switch so they are off except when the vehicle is moving fast enough to trip the inertial switch. That is why the test procedure is to drive the vehicle over 28 mph for 8 miles.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
The whole sensor must be replaced. They are supposed to last the lifetime of the vehicle.
They have a battery because they are actually very low power radio transmitters. To reduce usage of the battery, they have an inertial switch so they are off except when the vehicle is moving fast enough to trip the inertial switch. That is why the test procedure is to drive the vehicle over 28 mph for 8 miles.
The battery in the sensor is actually only expected to last 5-8 years.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
lizzurd, Thank you for the correction.

The battery in the sensor is actually only expected to last 5-8 years.
Honda Care paid it in full. the dealer said without the warranty it would have been about $160! Is this reasonable?

Holy smoke! If that is correct, and they all fail before the 8-years is up, they alone will pay about 1/2 the cost of the warranty?

·
Registered
423 Posts
$160 might be for all four (if one battery has died, the rest might be close?)

I looked up a single sensor at Bernardi and it was $30-$35 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Just checked Majestic, $20!

$160 might be for all four (if one battery has died, the rest might be close?)

I looked up a single sensor at Bernardi and it was $30-$35 if I remember correctly.
Plus handling $5 plus shipping $10, so looks like all 4 for under $100.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Plus handling $5 plus shipping $10, so looks like all 4 for under $100.
Plus the cost of removing the tires and reinstalling, rebalancing, etc.... it adds up fast.

does anyone know if there is a shelf life for sensors that are not in use? like left on a shelf or installed onto a set of snow tires?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts