Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 14 CRV AWD that I tow behind my motorhome.

In the back of the CRV is a collapsible golf cart weighing 400 lbs. Unless we are parked somewhere for a few weeks the golf cart is in the CRV almost all of the time, including when we are driving it around town.

The OEM sticker says 30psi for the tires but that seems too little when looking at the tires when loaded up.

The tires are Michelin 225 65R14 Defender LTX M/S

Ideas?

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,044 Posts
What is the max psi on the tires?
How heavy is the cart?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Interesting question. As with your motorhome, you could always weigh the Honda front and rear axle and use tire charts to determine proper pressure.

On another comment, when we were towing a Honda Accord we kept a full size motorhome tire in the trunk. Tire & wheel and tools weighting around 200 pounds or so. That weight in the trunk made the front end of the Accord do screwy things and eventually wore out the tires within 10,000 towing miles. Keep an eye on the tires with that 400 pound golf cart.

What motorhome do you have? Do you have toad brakes on the 2014 Honda CRV? What brand?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting question. As with your motorhome, you could always weigh the Honda front and rear axle and use tire charts to determine proper pressure.

On another comment, when we were towing a Honda Accord we kept a full size motorhome tire in the trunk. Tire & wheel and tools weighting around 200 pounds or so. That weight in the trunk made the front end of the Accord do screwy things and eventually wore out the tires within 10,000 towing miles. Keep an eye on the tires with that 400 pound golf cart.

What motorhome do you have? Do you have toad brakes on the 2014 Honda CRV? What brand?
I just bought new tires today which is what prompted this thread. That is a good idea about weighing.

I have a 2016 Newmar Ventana with a Ready Brute Elite surge braking system.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Does your Ventana have the Comfort Drive™ Steering System? How do you like that?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yes, you will see me often as the BigD

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,861 Posts
For eight years I used my V as a work vehicle. I carried ~500 pounds of 'stuff' behind the back seat at all times. (I weighed it.)

Aside from feathering the rear tires a bit due to camber, the car suffered no ill effects. I ran equal 34 PSI front & rear.

Now that the car is 'retired', I run 34 F, 32R.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks for letting me know, good to know I finally remembered something correctly. I was thinking maybe flop down the back seat and position the golf cart further forward to help equalize the load. Also only have a quarter of a tank of gas (or less) when towing to take a little more off the rear wheels. 400 lbs isn't a lot to have in a CR-V if it's balanced F/R.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.