Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got rid of the OEM Hankook Kinergy tires that came with my new 2018 CRV-EX. Only had 13,000 miles but could not take the noise and slipping that these tires gave. Had no confidence in those tires and they would hydroplane on wet streets here in Florida. Look at poor ratings of the Hankook Kinergy tires on Tirerack if you have these tires.

So, finally purchased a set of the new Michelin CrossClimate2 tires from Tirerack. They just came out in August. I have to say that these are the best tires I've ever owned on any vehicle. They are so quiet and grip the road and I have full confidence I won't slip or hydroplane. I am so impressed in this new tire and hope I get good service from them. Yes, they are expensive at about $200 a tire, but Michelin has frequent rebates. For the safety they provide the price (in my opinion) is well worth it when my life, control of the CRV, and quiet ride is factored in. Oh yes, did I mention that they are 3 three-peak mountain snowflake rating for snow? Usually the 3 mountain peak tires are noisier but not these. Be sure to read Tirerack rating on these tires.

Anyway, wanted to pass along my thoughts on these tires. I'm totally happy and impressed and can't wait to try them this winter. Have 800 miles on now, and will update when I drive more miles.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
I finally got rid of the OEM Hankook Kinergy tires that came with my new 2018 CRV-EX. Only had 13,000 miles but could not take the noise and slipping that these tires gave. Had no confidence in these tires and they would hydroplane on wet streets here in Florida. Look at poor ratings of the Hankook Kinergy tires on Tirerack if you have these tires.

So, finally purchased a set of the new Michelin CrossClimate2 tires from Tirerack. They just came out in August. I have to say that these are the best tires I've ever owned on any vehicle. They are so quiet and grip the road and I have full confidence I won't slip or hydroplane. I am so impressed in this new tire and hope I get good service from them. Yes, they are expensive at about $200 a tire, but Michelin has frequent rebates. For the safety they provide the price (in my opinion) is well worth it when my life, control of the CRV, and quiet ride is factored in. Oh yes, did I mention that they are 3 three-peak mountain snowflake rating for snow? Usually the 3 mountain peak tires are noisier but not these. Be sure to read Tirerack rating on these tires.

Anyway, wanted to pass along my thoughts on these tires. I'm totally happy and impressed and can't wait to try them this winter.
Thank you for sharing this new tire experience and review. I'm sure many CR-V owners will appreciate this.

IMHO, Honda's have always lacked in the area of road noise, when compared with their competition...often the choice of tires can make a big difference. I have always been a fan of Michelin tires.

Reactions: lmaxim

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
51 Posts
These are the exact tire I was looking at getting to replace the OEM's, thank you for the review!

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring 2WD
228 Posts
I consider Honda to be an upgrade to the recent Fords I've owned but I will say that both of my Fords came with Michelin tires. Honda could improve the performance and quality perception of their vehicles with a simple purchasing decision. I would imagine with their purchasing power they could get a great price. C'mon Honda.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I finally got rid of the OEM Hankook Kinergy tires that came with my new 2018 CRV-EX. Only had 13,000 miles but could not take the noise and slipping that these tires gave. Had no confidence in these tires and they would hydroplane on wet streets here in Florida. Look at poor ratings of the Hankook Kinergy tires on Tirerack if you have these tires.

Anyway, wanted to pass along my thoughts on these tires. I'm totally happy and impressed and can't wait to try them this winter.
Thanks good to know. Is the quiet significant?

·
Registered
2020, Honda, CR-V Executive
15 Posts
We've just bought a CR-V 2020 model (I'm in Denmark), and that came with Michelin tyres from the factory. Never see bad reviews for Michelin tyres, plus they tend to last a long time, so definitely worth the extra they cost over other brands :)

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring 2WD
228 Posts
We've just bought a CR-V 2020 model (I'm in Denmark), and that came with Michelin tyres from the factory.
Okay, now I'm jealous.

Reactions: celodnb

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks for notifying the forum. I had quizzically replace my OEM Hankook Kinergy with the Michlein Defender T&H. They are ok on ice/snow, but not great. Otherwise, no complaints for dry/wet. I live in Colorado Springs, so a true snow tire is overkill for most driving, but when you need it, you wish you had one. :) And the new snow tires/chain laws make having a 3 peaks rating much more valuable to avoid having to put on chains.

I had looked at replacing with the new CrossClimate SUV version to get the all weather rating (3 mt peaks), but it low mileage and price just seemed to be too much. Serously looking at this with its 60k warranty. Tirerack has already tested in dry/wet and it is a top performer, as suspected.

Update: We have discount tire here In Colorado. They were willing to match the Costco instant $150 rebate and giving me a reasonable trade-in for my 3 year old 24K miles Defender T&H, so getting them next week. So far I have seen on one negative user review. Most reallly like them like the OP

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,012 Posts
OEM-spec tires may NOT be as capable as aftermarket ones, no matter what the manufacturer.

Our '99 Acura came with Michelins. They were 'Meh', made for low rolling resistance.

Both our HR-Vs also came with Michelins. We will see how well they perform in icy weather, and what the wear is like.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
641 Posts
“They just came out in August. I have to say that these are the best tires I've ever owned on any vehicle.”

I wouldn’t make such a product proclamation, without a couple of years of seasonal performance proof, but that’s just me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you for sharing this new tire experience and review. I'm sure many CR-V owners will appreciate this.

IMHO, Honda's have always lacked in the area of road noise, when compared with their competition...often the choice of tires can make a big difference. I have always been a fan of Michelin tires.
Michelin's are great. I put Defenders on my 20 as soon as I got.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Michelin Defenders (LTX ones not the T+H). Quiet, 12/32nds of tread, long lasting, nd work in everything but solid ice. Not cheap but you do get what you paid for. 70,000 mile warranty.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
Can't wait for the OEM Hankook tires to die. I will be replacing them with Michelin.
I know it is very hard to justify replacing tires that are still functional. I am the same way. It just depends on how much the tire noise bothers one, if at all, and of course, their budget.

·
Registered
4 Posts
+1 on the Michelin Defender LTX. Replaced my Ecopia OEM tires at 8,000 miles due to noise and poor snow performance (Colorado). I had the LTX on my 2013 Ridgeline as OEM and loved them. After a record snow season in Colorado glad I didn't wait. 2018 LX
Michelin Defenders (LTX ones not the T+H). Quiet, 12/32nds of tread, long lasting, nd work in everything but solid ice. Not cheap but you do get what you paid for. 70,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know it is very hard to justify replacing tires that are still functional. I am the same way. It just depends on how much the tire noise bothers one, if at all, and of course, their budget.
Not hard to justify. I replaced the OEM Goodyear runflats on my Corvette when they had plenty of tread life left. They were almost 8 years old and noisy as hell. Replaced them with Michelin runflats and I couldn't believe the difference in ride quality and road noise.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
Not hard to justify. I replaced the OEM Goodyear runflats on my Corvette when they had plenty of tread life left. They were almost 8 years old and noisy as hell. Replaced them with Michelin runflats and I couldn't believe the difference in ride quality and road noise.
Tire age is a whole different discussion...some tires become unsafe due to rubber rot.

Like you said, there is some justification to replacing tires before the tread wears out. To some, their budgets don't allow replacing tires that work, but are noisy. Everyone has there own preferences and values.

If the tire noise bothers a person enough, the satisfaction of quieter tires may be worth the cost, and they can possibly recoup some of the cost by selling the used tires...often even to the tire store.

Reactions: Carbuff2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can't wait for the OEM Hankook tires to die. I will be replacing them with Michelin.
For me it wasn't only the horrible tire noise coming from the OEM Hankook Kinergy's on my 18 EX that I replaced at 13K miles. I had an incident where my CR-V nearly hit the car in front of me - it slipped and skidded and took a long time to come to a complete stop at just 35 mph. The CrossClimate2 has incredible stopping ability if you look at the tire on Michelin.com. The OEM Hankook Kinergy's would slip just accelerating from a stop, and the CrossClimate2's grip and there is no slipping.

The way I look at it the tires make the difference between being able to stop quickly, and having to do an emergency maneuver and keeping control over my CR-V. The price of the tires is cheap compared to the cost of an accident (insurance, repair, lawyer fees, etc), or heaven forbid, an accident where my occupants are injured.

The icing on the cake with the CrossClimate2 is the 3-peak mountain snowflake designation that should give me good traction in the limited snow I may encounter. I just feel confident in these tires - I was always nervous driving on the Hankook's especially in the rain where it tended to hydroplane and wouldn't stop without skidding. I

1 - 20 of 40 Posts