Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't want to burst your bubble, but there isn't a tire built that won't hydroplane. Hydroplaning will start at approx 7 times the square root of the tire pressure and will be full hydroplaning at 9 times. The make, condition, will not change physics. So at 60mph you are skating. Be careful.

·
Registered
36 Posts
New tires with plenty of tread will hydroplane less than old worn tires. Of course speed will always make a difference but I would rather drive on a rain soaked highway with newer tires than on worn out ones.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks so much for the heads-up on these tires! My Hankooks are almost done (thankfully) so I'm looking for new tires for my 2017 AWD Touring. I don't play in the snow too much but our winters can see quite a bit of rain combined with where I live I'm driving on winding foothill roads quite frequently. These now look a leading contender for new tires in the next month.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,068 Posts
Moving to Tires section.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for sharing this new tire experience and review. I'm sure many CR-V owners will appreciate this.

IMHO, Honda's have always lacked in the area of road noise, when compared with their competition...often the choice of tires can make a big difference. I have always been a fan of Michelin tires.
I wrote about it in another thread, but I recently replaced the Continental Cross Contact OEM tires with Michelin Premier LTX tires on my 2015 CRV. Big improvement in road noise and ride. Haven't tested them in bad weather, but I'm confident they'll be good. I have never been happy with the OEM tires they put on these vehicles. Have always had better results with Michelins.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I finally got rid of the OEM Hankook Kinergy tires that came with my new 2018 CRV-EX. Only had 13,000 miles but could not take the noise and slipping that these tires gave. Had no confidence in those tires and they would hydroplane on wet streets here in Florida. Look at poor ratings of the Hankook Kinergy tires on Tirerack if you have these tires.

So, finally purchased a set of the new Michelin CrossClimate2 tires from Tirerack. They just came out in August. I have to say that these are the best tires I've ever owned on any vehicle. They are so quiet and grip the road and I have full confidence I won't slip or hydroplane. I am so impressed in this new tire and hope I get good service from them. Yes, they are expensive at about $200 a tire, but Michelin has frequent rebates. For the safety they provide the price (in my opinion) is well worth it when my life, control of the CRV, and quiet ride is factored in. Oh yes, did I mention that they are 3 three-peak mountain snowflake rating for snow? Usually the 3 mountain peak tires are noisier but not these. Be sure to read Tirerack rating on these tires.

Anyway, wanted to pass along my thoughts on these tires. I'm totally happy and impressed and can't wait to try them this winter. Have 800 miles on now, and will update when I drive more miles.
Good choice.......

·
Registered
9 Posts
I finally got rid of the OEM Hankook Kinergy tires that came with my new 2018 CRV-EX. Only had 13,000 miles but could not take the noise and slipping that these tires gave. Had no confidence in those tires and they would hydroplane on wet streets here in Florida. Look at poor ratings of the Hankook Kinergy tires on Tirerack if you have these tires.

So, finally purchased a set of the new Michelin CrossClimate2 tires from Tirerack. They just came out in August. I have to say that these are the best tires I've ever owned on any vehicle. They are so quiet and grip the road and I have full confidence I won't slip or hydroplane. I am so impressed in this new tire and hope I get good service from them. Yes, they are expensive at about $200 a tire, but Michelin has frequent rebates. For the safety they provide the price (in my opinion) is well worth it when my life, control of the CRV, and quiet ride is factored in. Oh yes, did I mention that they are 3 three-peak mountain snowflake rating for snow? Usually the 3 mountain peak tires are noisier but not these. Be sure to read Tirerack rating on these tires.

Anyway, wanted to pass along my thoughts on these tires. I'm totally happy and impressed and can't wait to try them this winter. Have 800 miles on now, and will update when I drive more miles.
I just replaced the OEM tires on my 2019 CR-V EX-L with 27,000! Truly have never had to be in the market for new tires with such low miles on a vehicle, ever! Really annoyed!

·
Registered
2015 Honda CRV EX
28 Posts
Rarely see a poor review for Michelins ... they'll be my next tires.
Yes, I replaced my original Continental Cross with Michelin Defenders at 42,000 miles when I had a flat a few months ago. A world of difference in driving and road noise and well worth the extra money. Even got a $110 pre-paid MC with the purchase of 4 from Discount Tire. Shop wisely!

·
Registered
8 Posts

Michelins are the way to go and well worth the moola.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,083 Posts
I just replaced the OEM tires on my 2019 CR-V EX-L with 27,000! Truly have never had to be in the market for new tires with such low miles on a vehicle, ever! Really annoyed!
had to replace them on my Accord w/that mileage. IMO, most dealers put on low mile tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I had the dealer remove the Hankooks before I took delivery of my '17 CRV. At my cost. I had them install Michelin Premiers. They were a good tire but I only got 60K Km. I now have the CrossClimate also. I am very pleased. As soon as I rolled off the lot I noticed the difference. I have never had that happen before. Traction is great on corners & when I drive through water it sounds like a fire hose under the wheel wells. The way they disperse water is amazing. I just hope I get better than 60,000 km.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX Obsidian Blue
13 Posts
Is it possible to replace the Hankooks with run-flats? Does Michelin make run-flats? (2020 CRV-EX Hybrid) As a little old lady, I hate that there is no spare tire (Why did they get rid of the real spare tire on the back? I would have paid for that). Sure, that's why I have AAA (which I won't renew since I found out my auto insurance has roadside, as well as the new Honda roadside) but I just hate the idea of being stuck somewhere. I hit a pothole in my Fit on a dark and rainy night, which destroyed the side of the tire--if that happened with my new car, they would have to bring a spare...?

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,068 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, I believe run-flat tires require special wheels, do they not? Which would mean they cannot be used on stock wheels.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I consider Honda to be an upgrade to the recent Fords I've owned but I will say that both of my Fords came with Michelin tires. Honda could improve the performance and quality perception of their vehicles with a simple purchasing decision. I would imagine with their purchasing power they could get a great price. C'mon Honda.
I have noticed that 2020 models that have 18 inch wheels don't have those crummy Hankooks any more. Can't wait to get rid of mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2018 CR-V with the same crappy Hankook tires. They currently have 32k on them. Noisy as all get out. Was on the Tire Rack website and was seriously considering the Yokohama Geolander A/T GO15's as they have great reviews, but I might have to revisit the Michelins.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting. If you see my signature I have a good share of CRV models. I have the Hankook tires and thought they were better then the FS ecopia tires. I think all the crv models I have had are all noisy inside. I was interested to see how the tires would would wear overtime. Have not used it in the snow. I’m at 1,000 miles for 6 months I think now.we work at home and will be like that till January :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just got back from the dealer for an A1 service on my '17 Touring, with just under 32k miles on it. They informed me that I should start thinking about replacing the tires. I have always liked Michelins, as well as Goodyears, but I think I may very well go with the Michelin Crossclimate 2s, seeing as how they seem to only be getting positive feedback in this thread.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My 2017 AWD Touring has 18k miles and my Honda service guy mentioned that the rear tires were close to wear bars. He was being a little pessimistic and I can probably get at least 4k more miles but once rain starts I'm moving on the Michelins anyway. I may not even wait that long and replace the OEMs in the next month just to take advantage of the reduced road noise.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,013 Posts
Spring and Fall are when tire companies often offer promotions. Good time to shop.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts