Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original tires need replacement at 45k miles now and I am looking for a good all season tire that will also be good in winters. I live in MN so we do get a lot of snow here. Any recommendations?

My local Discount Tire recommended Continental Control Contact, Continental Cross Contact or Cooper Discoverer HTP.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I'd recommend looking at tire ratings on tirerack.com, including looking at feedback from owners of the tires.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,461 Posts
My original tires need replacement at 45k miles now and I am looking for a good all season tire that will also be good in winters. I live in MN so we do get a lot of snow here. Any recommendations?

My local Discount Tire recommended Continental Control Contact, Continental Cross Contact or Cooper Discoverer HTP.
check out the
Goodyear assurance winter ready

they are all season but awesome in snow
If you order then on goodyear.com you can use MEMBER10 for 10% off AND they knock down install to like $50 and ship them to your local tire shop so you just book the appt online and show up.

i just did it for my mothers crv, super easy and they have been awesome.

·
Registered
111 Posts
check out the

If you order then on goodyear.com you can use MEMBER10 for 10% off AND they knock down install to like $50 and ship them to your local tire shop so you just book the appt online and show up.

This is an excelent recommendation! I just got rid of the Continental Crosscontacts at 35k miles. They were still with half depth left. Yet traction was mediocre, especially in the rain and were also harsh and noisy as ride. Handling was underwhelming.
Switched to Michelin Crossclimate. These are high performance all season tires that are great in dry and wet. On top of that they are rated with the snow flake and 3 peak mountain symbol. I have not driven with them in snow yet but dont doubt they will perform well. Ofcourse, they would not be as good as dedicated X-ice but again-its an all season tire.
Michelin calls them "all weather traction tire."
So far, they are softer, stickier, quieter and handle WAY better than the continetals (which are mid level tires). Also the car "leans" less under braking, acceleration and cornering. My wife also noted that jumping off the curb, when reversing fast out of the garage (she is often late to bring our son to school:)) is way less dramatic than with the Continentals.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
111 Posts
check out the

try Michelin Crossclimate-switched to them from Continental Crosscontact. Ditched these at 35k-no traction, especially in rain, harsh ride and lots of noise. They had half depth thread left and were always rotated, aired etc and in perfect shape.
The Michelins are WAY better. Quieter by about 2-3 decibels (verified via iphone dB meter) softer, stickier, handle better, steer better. Also they are rated for snow and have the 3 peak mountain symbol on them. They are not X ice but for all season tires they are just great.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry about the double post-it was not showing that it posted, then showed up both...and cant find the edit button to get rid of it:)

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
360 Posts
If I wasn't currently all liquored up I'd find my Consumers Reports mag and provide their guidance.
Unbiased professional opinions matter more to me than individual user reviews.

I'm thinking they (CR) tend to prefer Michelins and Continental brands. Even with No Snow to contend with I often follow their suggestions.

Reactions: robk

·
Registered
2015 CRV Touring
60 Posts
This is an excelent recommendation! I just got rid of the Continental Crosscontacts at 35k miles. They were still with half depth left. Yet traction was mediocre, especially in the rain and were also harsh and noisy as ride. Handling was underwhelming.
Switched to Michelin Crossclimate. These are high performance all season tires that are great in dry and wet. On top of that they are rated with the snow flake and 3 peak mountain symbol. I have not driven with them in snow yet but dont doubt they will perform well. Ofcourse, they would not be as good as dedicated X-ice but again-its an all season tire.
Michelin calls them "all weather traction tire."
So far, they are softer, stickier, quieter and handle WAY better than the continetals (which are mid level tires). Also the car "leans" less under braking, acceleration and cornering. My wife also noted that jumping off the curb, when reversing fast out of the garage (she is often late to bring our son to school:)) is way less dramatic than with the Continentals.
Hope that helps
I too switched to Michelin Crossclimate SUV tires 225-60-18 for my 2015 Touring

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Michelin Crossclimate are out of budget. I also looked at Goodyear Assurance Maxlife and Hankook H737. They are both pretty much in the same price range after applying a rebate to Goodyears. Are Hankook considered good tires? I forgot to mention in my original post that I do have an AWD and never had a problem in snow with the OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport AS. They are not the most comfortable and wore out at 45k but traction wasn't really an issue maybe because of the AWD.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i paid $733 at costco for the crossclimates. They had $150 off and they run $70-$80 off at least every other month.
if price and longevity matter than Michelin Defender is one of your best bets.
I am biased towards Michelin though:) With the exception of a set of Energy mxv4 (in 2007) I have never been disappointed by Michelin. Tried dunlops, good years, continentals...still,best results for my driving style and priorities turn to be the Michelins.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have general altimax rt43 I live in boston mass area so I know snow and real all season.i have 55k on my general altimax with going on 5th snow season and still great in snow starting see alittle slip hear and there in rain and snow but still good I'll probably change them at 65k which is great for tires specialy with salt and snow which kills tires

·
Registered
23 Posts
i seem to be the only one that actually liked the OE bridgestone Duellers. lol
Depends one where you are people that live in warmer climates less rain snow like them.but they did get the worst rating ALL season tires.i had 2 sets only lasted 20k with tire rotation and inflated properly.they were both had warranty both replaced free then second set they let me have a different set when I got the general altimax rt43 there incredible tires,handling and thick sidewall ,quiet and smooth. michelins sidewall have a bad reputation of Dryrott and cracking.i felt with all this being a mechanic for 6 yrs installing tires ,rebuilding engines trannys and welding frames

·
Registered
205 Posts
Depends one where you are people that live in warmer climates less rain snow like them.but they did get the worst rating ALL season tires.i had 2 sets only lasted 20k with tire rotation and inflated properly.they were both had warranty both replaced free then second set they let me have a different set when I got the general altimax rt43 there incredible tires,handling and thick sidewall ,quiet and smooth. michelins sidewall have a bad reputation of Dryrott and cracking.i felt with all this being a mechanic for 6 yrs installing tires ,rebuilding engines trannys and welding frames
The last good snow fall we got was back in 16 when i first got the car. The last few years have just been a dusting of snow but its been really wet if anything else like tons of rain. Ohio is really weird when it comes to weather.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts