Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I purchased new tires on my 2012 CRV, I had to replace lugs nuts each time Before tire rotation. First, (new tires) back Drivers side lug nut did not want to come off for replacement. Next rotation, (2) lugnuts frozen and now a few days ago, at Honda dealer for no oil on dipstick, they noticed that right front all lugnuts needed replacement along with hub Assy speed sensor.
i am nervous of getting another tire rotation somewhere else except at Honda. Other places want you to come back after driving 150 miles from a tire rotation. Honda rep said she never heard of such a thing. Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tire stations since I owned vehicles want you to return after tire rotation and Take that gadget and ensure the lugnuts are tight.
Honda during their multi point inspection found Front right had all front studs cross threaded And damaged, the others were fine. So Installed Wheel bearing, new wheel sensor ( I don’t know why),
Honda made me feel I have not taken care of my car, but I HAVE. I Do GO BY THE MM. I went to other service stations recommended by friends instead of Honda.
i recently posted about excessive oil consumption, that is why no oil on dipstick. I have the Fixd and they have the same MM as Honda’s. I recently went to an oil change place near my house and they replaced with the proper oil and Honda’s commented on the documentation that oil was dirty.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
With the lack of information provided, some assumptions will be made. I would guess the original lug studs and/or nuts have become dry & rusty, and potentially reinstalled after the tire replacement with an impact gun, either cross threaded or over tightened, now prompting replacement.
The 150 mile recommendation is, typical to re-torque the lug nuts ensuring a wheel doesn't loosen. I personally don't re-torque and haven't ever had an issue but I don't do dozens of vehicles that I could be liable for.
My recommendation is to add a bit of antisieze to the lug studs and only let your Honda Dealer rotate the tires when you have your oil changed.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Why didn’t Honda just change the studs ? Hub bearing bad? Sensor bad?
Why trusting Honda dealer in your posts ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the info. Makes sense if you use same lugnuts over and over. For future information, next rotations shall i mention about age of them. there was a time that I had Honda doing all maintenance and it happened that the service rep came up to me stating lugnut was cross threaded and Honda was the only people that did my tire rotations. I went to other service stations thinking saving money, but who knows.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Maybe Honda cross threaded them all ??
I rarely change a lug nut out. Have had places use wrong size socket and mess up the outer surface that way. Pays to check vehicle out prior to leaving business.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
1,760 Posts
Thank you for the info. Makes sense if you use same lugnuts over and over. For future information, next rotations shall i mention about age of them. there was a time that I had Honda doing all maintenance and it happened that the service rep came up to me stating lugnut was cross threaded and Honda was the only people that did my tire rotations. I went to other service stations thinking saving money, but who knows.
The only reason a lugnut gets cross threaded is due to stupidity. The kid sticks the nut in the impack wrench and runs it in on the stud. Guaranteed to cross thread a couple on every car. You have to tread the nut by hand first and make sure it's not cross threaded before using an air wrench.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am aware that you tread the nut by hand first and that the tech should not tighten by going in a circle (which I saw a tech do) Instead of up, down, left and right Tightening . My case if I go somewhere other than the dealer I would have to ask, but what they say and do are two different things.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Why didn’t Honda just change the studs ? Hub bearing bad? Sensor bad?
Why trusting Honda dealer in your posts ?
Because you can't simply knock the studs out of the hub like you can with other vehicles. You have to pull the hub assembly. Since the hub assembly which has all new studs is only about $125, it's cheaper to simply replace the hub assembly. Also you have to remove the speed sensor which usually results in breaking it, and replace the bearning. The whole thing is a real PITA.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Tire stations since I owned vehicles want you to return after tire rotation and Take that gadget and ensure the lugnuts are tight.
Honda during their multi point inspection found Front right had all front studs cross threaded And damaged, the others were fine. So Installed Wheel bearing, new wheel sensor ( I don’t know why),
Honda made me feel I have not taken care of my car, but I HAVE. I Do GO BY THE MM. I went to other service stations recommended by friends instead of Honda.
i recently posted about excessive oil consumption, that is why no oil on dipstick. I have the Fixd and they have the same MM as Honda’s. I recently went to an oil change place near my house and they replaced with the proper oil and Honda’s commented on the documentation that oil was dirty.
Curious, what did the dealer charge you? It's a pretty big job to replace the studs on a CRV.

·
2,785 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Emma (that's a Mrs. Peale reference)! Sounds like at least one of your selected tire shops has wound up costing you a small fortune with their incompetence. Probably way too late to figure out which one and make them pay, though I'd definitely give them a poor review with the BBB. Hopefully a different service provider will treat you better.

When all the lug nuts are cross-threaded you know they used an impact to put them on, which is a no-no, and a dead giveaway. Sad that there are still people out there like this. I always make them wire brush/clean the threads, use anti-seize, and thread by hand, then use a hand torque wrench. Proper shops do this. Watch them like a hawk.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Because you can't simply knock the studs out of the hub like you can with other vehicles. You have to pull the hub assembly. Since the hub assembly which has all new studs is only about $125, it's cheaper to simply replace the hub assembly. Also you have to remove the speed sensor which usually results in breaking it, and replace the bearning. The whole thing is a real PITA.
Who makes a nonreplaceable wheel studs? So by removing sensor technicians damage it and charge the customer then? Are you talking vehicles in the rust belt, don't know why Southern vehicles couldn't get sensors out without breaking. Unless that is another bad design like wheel studs you can't replace either.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The only reason a lugnut gets cross threaded is due to stupidity. The kid sticks the nut in the impack wrench and runs it in on the stud. Guaranteed to cross thread a couple on every car. You have to tread the nut by hand first and make sure it's not cross threaded before using an air wrench.
Over tightening can strip the threads off also, not just crossthreading.

·
2,785 Posts
Yep, also usually caused by using an impact to install instead of a hand torque wrench.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know you're going to find this strange but I do not know one person, family or friends, who regularly rotate their wheels corner to corner in the UK.

I'm not sure why we have this cultural difference but as far as I know tyre wear in the UK is not much different to that experienced in US. I understand the concept of sharing the wear but surely you end up changing four tyres at the same time rather than a staggered replacement of two at a time.

I'm pretty sure that if the tyre services in UK could make an argument supporting wheel rotation they'd be shouting it from the rooftops to generate additional income.

Just saying.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wow....this is some strange post. I have a 2012 with 200,000 kms and have never changed a wheel stud. Summers to winters and back every year. As a matter of fact I have never changed a wheel stud in 50 + years of driving. It must be one careless tech or someone is getting "taken for a ride".

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Who makes a nonreplaceable wheel studs? So by removing sensor technicians damage it and charge the customer then? Are you talking vehicles in the rust belt, don't know why Southern vehicles couldn't get sensors out without breaking. Unless that is another bad design like wheel studs you can't replace either.
You can replace just a stud and reuse the old rusty hub and bearing. But in the process of disassembly and reassembly there is a real chance of damaging the bearing and the owner having to return in a thousand miles with a bad wheel bearing. As for the sensor, if it comes out with no issue you can reuse it. But they do have a tendency to break off after they have been in there for several years especially in the rust belt.
Did I mention you also have to remove the steering knuckle. Luckily the rear wheels are much easier.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts