Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so if I were to buy buddies 2003 CRV how big of tires can you put on it where the engine won't be overwhelmed. I am sure there is info around on this. If you can point me in the right direction that would be great. I was thinking like a 2-3 inch lift then sticking some BF goodrich All Terrains. Obviously don't want to do that and have it run like garbage. TIA!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
any vehicle you go with big tires and all that is going to take away power. Remember these are 4 cylinders, not v8s

I have 225/70R16 Cooper Discoverer AT3s and that's about as much as I want to go because the sacrifice to power and fuel economy isnt that bad at all. Any bigger the hit is going to be much larger and start putting strain that exceeds what the drivetrain can handle.

At highway speeds the bigger tires become noticeable though. Acceleration to pass takes a noticeable hit.

The problem is 2 fold. Your increasing tire diameter and tire/wheel weight.

I have no lift yet but only going 1". Just havent finished the spacers yet so I can install them.

These are jeeps, understand that going in and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah very cool! Yeah this would really be for just cruising around town, home depot runs lol. So what you have is good with stock suspension? That seems big enough for me

·
Registered
15 Posts
TireRack has a lot of info.
If you search a specific tire model and click on "specs" you will be able to see a comparison between various sizes as compared to stock.
• Overall diameter (and calculate different speedo will read, or more importantly power with the resulting taller gearing)
• Increase in weight of both rims and tires - heavier tires with more rotational mass are harder to speed up and slow down.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Ah very cool! Yeah this would really be for just cruising around town, home depot runs lol. So what you have is good with stock suspension? That seems big enough for me
ya stock suspension but as I said I'm doing a 1" lift because there is some rubbing issues in the rear under deep suspension travel.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
One note on the Goodrich T/A's - I had a set on my Jeep. They were great off road and in mud or snow, but driving on wet pavement/in the rain was like driving on black ice! Dangerous. I got rid of them. Too bad, they were good looking tires, but after you spin out a few times or nearly slide into another car just driving in rain, it becomes a little disconcerting.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
That's why I have coopers. Much better wet traction.

Part of the problem is Jeeps really arent that heavy, so big, wide tires that are harder rubber dont do so well when wet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts