Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any negatives to using a 102S tire on the V? Sure expands the choices and never will drive the V over 100 MPH. The load rating is important and will not compromise on the 102 spec.

Thanks!

·
Registered
460 Posts
You know that is a very good question....

The Honda CRV LX uses 215/70/16 Continental Cross Contact LX which are rated at 100S
The Honda CRV EX uses 225/65/17 Continental Cross Contact LX which are rated at 102T

Does the CRV EX/EX-L weigh that much more then the LX?!

Curb Weight (lbs, 2WD/AWD)
LX: 3305 / 3426
EX: 3365 / 3490
EX-L: 3408 / 3529
3424 / 3545 (EX-L w/RES)
3424 / 3545 (EX-L w/Navi)

3545 - 3426 = 119 lbs... :eek:
119 / 4 = 29.75 lbs extra the tire has to handle. w/o driver.

The only downside of using a lower speed rated tire is handling, I agree most people will never go above 100 MPH anyways. The materials on the tires used for S might be different then a tire used for a T rating. Taking into consideration, tread pattern, rubber compounds used, it might be acceptable if you do a lot of city/ suburb and occasional highway driving.

Interesting article...... http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/235 Looks like they said it affects braking also.... Now I am also curious on what others think..

I say it would be ok as S = 112 MPH vs T = 118 MPH is the next step down so it shouldn't affect things to much since the LX uses a S rated tire, but the EX and higher has more weight to deal with so I guess that is the reason for a higher speed rating? The higher speed rating allowed safer characteristics with the extra weight added?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
It has been my experience that higher rated tires last longer. They're built so the tread doesn't squirm around as much so it doesn't wear out as fast.
YMMV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses, especially the agcoauto.com link. That is the best explanation of the Speed Rating value I have read!

Replacement tires will be 102T class/rating!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts