Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2012 CRV EX AWD
334 Posts
My tires on my newly acquired CR-V have 27k on them. They look like they are good for another 20k, But I will just watch them and see. They are Pirelli Scorpion A/S's, and feel too stiff and noisy (LOUD!) to me, so I don't care much for them, but there's no sense in wasting whatever life they have remaining. It could take up to a year, but I am considering a trip to visit family next year, and if I do that I will replace them first.

Tire rotation is a controversial issue, and being a retired truck driver, I have my own set of prejudices, of course. Back when radial tires first came out, a cardinal rule of rotating was that you never reversed direction of rotation, meaning keep the tires on the same side of the car, never turn them around. The reason was that the weave pattern of the steel belts would take a directional set during break-in, and once set you never go against it. Doing so would end up in a broken belt. In those early radial days, I actually had a couple of tires break belts, and they had to be replaced. This could also cause a blowout. So, my rotation pattern was front to rear and rear to front only. No X patterns. I still follow the same rule today. Why? I have never seen an announcement from the tire industry that this has changed. I do see that they recommend X patterns today, but I don't buy that those steel belts no longer take that set. I could be mistaken, but until someone shares specific official information otherwise, I will stick to what has always worked for me. Of course, if someone has access to that information and wants to do that, I will read it and take a fresh look. Meanwhile, I have gotten good results with my method. Also, the only tire maker I trust is Michelin, so their word is the only word I would accept.
This is the Michelin's tire rotation recommendation https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/safe-driving/tire-safety/tire-rotation.html for you.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.