Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 crv 20,000 miles tires cupped bad and have been rotated 4 times. Alignment or cheap tire problem. Don't want to purchase another set and have the same problem

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,724 Posts
Probably alignment.

When you get new tires have the alignment checked. Let the shop know that you want to resolve the cupping/feathering issue. (A good shop will set the suspension within spec to reduce the issue.)

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I don't have any wear problems with my tires at 40,000 miles, so no, it's not a problem that all or even many CR-Vs have.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
Seems as though the crv are having this problem that's what I'm looking for a reason
You state that like it is a problem for all CRVs for all owners. There have been some reports of issues by some owners... but nothing in significant numbers that I have seen. There have been way more complaints about the life of OEM tires and abnormal tire noise from some owners then anything else... and it seems to be more prominent with some OEM tire brands that Honda uses then others.

From your first post here..you have a valid concern to evaluate.. so take it to the dealer or your mechanic of choice and find out exactly why you have cupping on your tires and get whatever the cause is fixed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Seems as though the crv are having this problem that's what I'm looking for a reason
My '18 CRV may have the very same issue. Took it in for a complimentary oil change last week and noticed when I got home that the dealer attached a vehicle inspection to the receipt. It showed the tire tread depth down to 7/32 which struck me as a lot of wear on a tire with only 5,500 mile on it. So I took the car back for an alignment. As it turns out the rear tire was seriously out of alignment. Dealer's customer service rep explained that the type of misalignment could cause cupping. When I asked it came from the factory that way, he got real quiet. To add insult to injury, the dealer was only able to adjust the alignment to Honda's outer limit, not to the middle of the spec. So this looks like a problem I am going to have to live with. Between this and other issues I have with it, words can not express how much I regret buying this CRV that has only 5,500 mile on it

·
Registered
41 Posts
OEM tires are junk for the North East. My tires lasted I think 25K. Purchased much better tires that are excellent in the snow and highway.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had bad cupping on one tire – it was the front driver side tire. I also had a lot of noise coming from that area. The noise was related to the rotational speed of the tire. The dealer said I needed a front end alignment so it cost me $89. The replacement tire is getting cupped, and I still have the same noise. I told them from the beginning that I think I have a bad CV joint on that side. But Honda doesn’t want to replace it. And the noise is getting louder all the time. It’s not the tire - it’s the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had my second service a16k miles and one year of ownership. At every oil/filter I have the tires rotated and balanced and every year I get the 4 wheel alignment done. Nothing significant note from tech or on the alignment sheet however I heard thumping sound. Went right back drove with tech an I was told my tire have cupped. From a tire rotation, balance and alignment. Now going back tomorrow for new tires to start again

2018 CR-V AWD Touring AWD 16k miles and one year old.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You state that like it is a problem for all CRVs for all owners. There have been some reports of issues by some owners... but nothing in significant numbers that I have seen. There have been way more complaints about the life of OEM tires and abnormal tire noise from some owners then anything else... and it seems to be more prominent with some OEM tire brands that Honda uses then others.

From your first post here..you have a valid concern to evaluate.. so take it to the dealer or your mechanic of choice and find out exactly why you have cupping on your tires and get whatever the cause is fixed.
You mentioned the “abnormal” tire noise, I here that too and it seems it’s coming from the front driver side. I got the factory Tires on my 2018 CRV EXL.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
You mentioned the “abnormal” tire noise, I here that too and it seems it’s coming from the front driver side. I got the factory Tires on my 2018 CRV EXL.
Still under the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty, right?

As per my comment that you quoted....I encourage you to take the vehicle to the dealer and have the issue diagnosed and resolved.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
360 Posts
Cupping typically is a result of a suspension problem - I'd first suspect the shocks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem with my 2018 CRV. Dealer found October 6, 2020 Service Bulletin 20-081 explaining that excessive tire wear due to alignment from Factory, outlining new specs to correct issue. New tires without alignment will be chewed up just like the original set

1 - 17 of 17 Posts