Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do Honda’s go through tires so quickly. I had a 2006 civic for 10 years and tried all brands of tires -Michelin Bridgestone Goodyear- none got more than 20,000 miles. I rotated them regularly and did wheel alignments. Now my 2017 Crv is having the same problem. I already had to replace the ones that came on it and am looking at having to put another set on. 47,000 miles on the crv. Why don’t the tires on Honda’s last over 20,000 miles?

·
The Enforcer
2,794 Posts
Hi and welcome.

Tyres are not manufactured by Honda, so its rather unfair to ask why they dont last 20k or 30k miles.

There are so many factors that influence tyre wear. Frequency of driving, the surface(s) being driven over, speeds, air pressure, weight of the vehicle in question and so on.

Tyre wear happens - its a fact of life. And it even happens on the more expensive cars like a Bentley Bentayga. No car is immune. I think your criticism is a little unfair.

Is this CR-V new to you or did you buy used?

Reactions: UK-Kev

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
118 Posts
The people who did your alignments didn't want to do all that was necessary to do a proper alignment, or they just didn't align it properly. Usually almost the whole suspension needs rebuilt on a honda to get a good alignment. That price at a shop will quickly scare a customer away and they just want that alignment dough.

Always get a printout showing before and after measurements of alignment angles. If the shop can't provide that, find a new place to get alignments. NTB, midas, any chain will be trash for alignments unless they have an ol timer in there who actually knows what he is doing with alignments or a savant. Most shops toe and go. So the short answer is because you need suspension work or it just has a shit alignment.

·
Premium Member
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory
127 Posts
My Civics, usually running Continental or Michelins would usually go about 30k before I replaced them at 4/32". I've made it a practice of having an alignment check about a week after delivery on all my new Hondas, I like to get my cars on a good alignment machine (ie: recently calibrated) about once a year. The only tire brand that was consistently a bad performer on my Hondas was Cooper. I'll have to see how the Michelin Crossclimate II's hold up on the CRV

·
Premium Member
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory
127 Posts
The people who did your alignments didn't want to do all that was necessary to do a proper alignment, or they just didn't align it properly. Usually almost the whole suspension needs rebuilt on a honda to get a good alignment. That price at a shop will quickly scare a customer away and they just want that alignment dough.

Always get a printout showing before and after measurements of alignment angles. If the shop can't provide that, find a new place to get alignments. NTB, midas, any chain will be trash for alignments unless they have an ol timer in there who actually knows what he is doing with alignments or a savant. Most shops toe and go. So the short answer is because you need suspension work or it just has a shit alignment.
You're absolutely correct about the chains, also any alignment shop or dealer worth your time & money should be able to show you when the last calibration was performed, and an alignment without a full printout is worthless. My 2013 Civic Coupe went in for an alignment at about 65k, both rear struts needed to be replaced to align correctly, fortunately it was covered by my Hondacare, would have been about $600 otherwise. Luckily, my dealer has good Hunter Equipment and someone who knows what he's doing.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
656 Posts
Why do Honda’s go through tires so quickly. I had a 2006 civic for 10 years and tried all brands of tires -Michelin Bridgestone Goodyear- none got more than 20,000 miles. I rotated them regularly and did wheel alignments. Now my 2017 Crv is having the same problem. I already had to replace the ones that came on it and am looking at having to put another set on. 47,000 miles on the crv. Why don’t the tires on Honda’s last over 20,000 miles?
Road surfaces. Nuff said.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,320 Posts
Yeah.. this all comes down to driving style and road conditions.

The fact that you see the same struggles with a 14 year old Civic and a 3 year old CRV.. pretty much puts it at..... driving style and road conditions as the primary cause.

Personally, across 4 different Hondas in the last decade... I consistently get well over 35K miles on Michelin Defenders on my CRVs, and closer to 45K miles for Michelin Defenders on my Accords. And in my household, we are not light footed drivers by any means, nor are local roads pristine finished pavement surfaces wither. Not the 80,000 Michelin "limited warranties" them for, but those warranties are largely useless marketing numbers.

·
Registered
449 Posts
TIA tire techs recommend rotating the tires every 5000 to 6000 miles. Keeping the tires rotated at frequent intervals greatly improves longevity. Also maintaining proper air pressure helps quite a bit.

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX Obsidian Blue
112 Posts
I haven't had that experience at all. On 3 various CR-Vs my tires have always lasted just about exactly their mileage rating. The only exception was getting 80K miles out of 90K Michelin Defenders on my '08. When I needed to replace them I received credit for the 10K I didn't get out of the tires. I always get an alignment at the dealership after new tires, and I always have them balanced and rotated whenever I change the oil.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Well that's a new one...I have never heard of that!
Michelin provides a prorate warranty, based on miles and calendar time on their tires. Uneven wear and some other things though invalidate the coverage. But.. just like battery prorates.. it is a gimmick to get you to purchase more of the same Michelins. :) A lot of the big tire companies do now days.

Personally, when I put new tires on, I do them in full sets and I purchase Discount Tires/Americas Tires road hazard and free replacement policy on the tires. Does not cost that much, and when buying a good quality tire, it's worth it.. mainly because road hazards do take a toll on tires in big urban areas.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Michelin provides a prorate warranty, based on miles and calendar time on their tires. Uneven wear and some other things though invalidate the coverage. But.. just like battery prorates.. it is a gimmick to get you to purchase more of the same Michelins. :) A lot of the big tire companies do now days.

Personally, when I put new tires on, I do them in full sets and I purchase Discount Tires/Americas Tires road hazard and free replacement policy on the tires. Does not cost that much, and when buying a good quality tire, it's worth it.. mainly because road hazards do take a toll on tires in big urban areas.

Wow, I checked the Michelin site for their Tire Promise Plan. Based on the length of the document and the conditions attached for tread warranty I won't be making a claim any time soon. But thanks for the info!

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Wow, I checked the Michelin site for their Tire Promise Plan. Based on the length of the document and the conditions attached for tread warranty I won't be making a claim any time soon. But thanks for the info!
Like I said, these are largely prorate gimmicks to keep a Michelin customer Michelin. :)

Good company and excellent tires though.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
888 Posts
I did this for years at America's Tire. I kept getting Khumo Solus KR21 tires that were supposed to last 85k. I usually got 40k out of each set, and half-off my next set of tires. Eventually Khumo stopped offering the mileage warranty, and I got a different car. Now KR21s are no longer made. Presumably they figured out their tires didn't last as advertised. 😂😂😂

My current Bridgestone tires have a similar warranty. I did get them at Costco instead of AT tho, because of the road hazard warranty. The tires and mounting were about the same price, but AT makes you pay extra for the 'certificates,' as they call them, and Costco includes that with tires and mounting. It's about an $80 difference.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
3,479 Posts
  • Civic weight
  • crv weight
  • fwd crv
  • AWD crv
  • weight in car
  • tires inflated properly
  • over-inflated
  • rotated, and swapped tires around
  • tar road
  • asphault, cement road
  • speeding
  • sharp cornering
All leads to your WARE

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX Obsidian Blue
112 Posts
Yes that's the whole idea behind the mileage rating. But you do have to prove you have maintained the tires with proper inflation, rotation, and inspection for uneven wear. When you buy the tires they usually come with lifetime rotation and balancing from the dealer. So whenever I change my oil I then drive over to where I bought the tires for a free rotation and balance. Then all of that inspection/documentation is covered.

BTW when I replaced those 90k tires that I only got 80k out of, that model was no longer available. They had replaced it with a model rated for 80k. So I must not have been the only one. They are pretty good at rating the tires appropriately.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
656 Posts
I ran over a small steel rod on the freeway the other day. The racket caused by the object stuck into the tire was enough to wake the dead of an entire cemetery. I pulled over rapidly thinking it was a flat but the ride was stable. When I got out the tire was leaking air fast and within 60 seconds it was completely flat. I jacked up my V, pulled the flat, mounted the pizza cutter, and I got home safely, driving behind slower big rigs to keep the speed down. The rod had bent over from being run over repeatedly as I was pulling over to the side of the highway. The diameter was as big around as a finger and it had clearly damaged the belts so I knew I was in for spending some money on new tires. The OEM tires have a bit over 21K miles and they are about half worn so I bought a set. I shopped around at several tire places in my region and found a local shop who included mounting and balancing for the price that the others were charging for just the tires. I've used them before for patches so I went with them. All better now.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts