Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys whats going on? I wanted to find out what the weight on a 2012 Honda CRV was? I do not have stock tires any longer and I wanted to see how much weight the stock wheels are? If anyone could weight the stock set up and tell me that would be awesome. I am thinking of changing the stock wheels to lightweight wheels even if you weight the stock wheel and tire set up that would be great because I can calculate how much the new tires added in weight to the CRV.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I don't know what the wheels/rims weigh on a 2012, but the 17" stock alloys that I took off my 2007 were about 24 lbs each, plus the weight of the rubber. Since I also downsized to 16" rims for the Goodyear tires, I shaved off about 5 lbs for the rim portion of the weight, so I really haven't noticed any performance setbacks with the new goodyears, but I also kept the wheel diameter to 29", which is only .5" taller than stock. I bet the wheel diameter of 30" is affecting performance more than the tire weight. These A/T tires weigh about 10 lbs more than a typical driving tire if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes ten pounds more Mike. My reason was if the stock wheels weight around 24 pounds and I get some light weight wheels it will improve my gas mileage to be around stock. When driving it feels like there is a ton of weight on the wheels now. Way less nimble I used to get 28mpg combined and now its almost makes 24mpg. A little less weight does make everything better for a car braking handling and gas consumption. I am hoping the stock wheels weight close to 24 pounds. That means I would shave at least 9 pounds off which is what the new tires put on the wheels.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yes ten pounds more Mike. My reason was if the stock wheels weight around 24 pounds and I get some light weight wheels it will improve my gas mileage to be around stock. When driving it feels like there is a ton of weight on the wheels now. Way less nimble I used to get 28mpg combined and now its almost makes 24mpg. A little less weight does make everything better for a car braking handling and gas consumption. I am hoping the stock wheels weight close to 24 pounds. That means I would shave at least 9 pounds off which is what the new tires put on the wheels.
Weight will play a factor, so light wheels may help some, but I think the gear ratio with 30" vs 28.5" is probably an equal portion of it. Maybe you could find a shop that would let you test light weight wheels and return them if they don't help. My MPG didn't change much if at all with the heavier tires, which combined to be about 5 lbs more per tire.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
torquey, having 2nd thoughts on a lift kit? That'll make your mileage & weight a heck of a lot worse!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
The OE wheels on my 2013 are 24.8 lbs. ea., the OE tire was 27 lbs.

The aftermarket 17" aluminum wheels I installed are 19.4 lbs.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No lift kit does not effect mileage with such a small increase of 1.5 inches. Its more the tires and the wheel and I want to come back to oem spec. The issue I am having now with Rocky Road is I got my lifted springs and they wont fit and now Rocky road wont help. They told me no modifications needed and I brought it to a shop and they showed me I needed a new type of top hat to fit the new springs. I think I will dispute the charges since now they will not help and just keep telling me to contact the manufacture. NO Bueno!!!

I think Mike is right the gearing is what is effecting MPG but I have been doing some experiments and the ECO button is what is hurting me pretty bad right now. I shut it off and now my MPG is climbing back up and it currently 25.2 which is way better than before. I think the ECO makes the car struggle to much so its constantly looking to drop a gear.

I think by the end of the week I will be around 26MPG soon which isnt bad.

I also have been playing with the air intake and taking off resonators and seem to improve my miles also.

·
Registered
705 Posts
That makes sense about the ECO button. If it drops performance too much, you spend even longer with the peddle down trying to get up to speed, which ends up being counter productive. I get better MPG when I get up to speed at a medium pace, not too slow but not flooring it either, and then setting cruise to maintain speed. If I make a change to my driving, I reset the MPG counter to see quicker results as to what my new results are quicker. Also, making multiple tweaks may leave you wondering which tweak made the most improvement.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Sorry to hear that about the springs. Another user is having a similar difficulty with the OME front springs for 2007-2011 model years. They send two identical springs instead of left wound and right wound since the front springs have opposite windings. I may end up just getting rear springs if he can't get it resolved with ARB/Rocky Road.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sent another email out with my issue with the springs I am already out money that the shop had to take apart the car to find that out.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I sent another email out with my issue with the springs I am already out money that the shop had to take apart the car to find that out.
Does it need new top hats all around, front and back?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
No lift kit does not effect mileage with such a small increase of 1.5 inches.
Guaranty your wrong buddy. The more you lift the less aerodynamic it becomes. The Gen.3 CRV is much lower than the Gen.1 & Gen.2 CRV, as a way of getting better mileage. Not to mention that only 1.5 inches will make your handling not as good either.

Just sayin'.....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guaranty your wrong buddy. The more you lift the less aerodynamic it becomes. The Gen.3 CRV is much lower than the Gen.1 & Gen.2 CRV, as a way of getting better mileage. Not to mention that only 1.5 inches will make your handling not as good either.

Just sayin'.....
Were talking about the GEN 4 CRV way more aero dynamic underneath. Also I did raise it with spring boosters and I got a 1 inch lift from it and zero mpg difference. I did see my handling go to poo with those boosters but that's why I wanted to go with a real suspension lift.

SOOO Dobinson now wants me to send them photos of the springs and measurements. I think theses springs are for the 3 Gen not the 4th because when I google the part numbers it now shows a picture of the 3rd gen.

·
Registered
705 Posts
So I wonder who messed up, Dobinson or Rocky-Road? Rocky Road doesn't even show Dobinson springs for 3rd Gen.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I think Australia may be a year behind on model years, since their 2007 is still a 2nd GEN and perhaps their 2012 is also still the previous 3rd GEN. Rocky Road doesn't seem to be aware of that either for some reason. They told me to just order the 2002-2007 kit since mine is a 2007 even though I'm positive those would only fit 2nd Gen models.

·
Registered
705 Posts
If Dobinson or Rocky-Road won't refund/exchange the springs, I may be interested in them, if they are a for sure fit for all 3rd Gen models.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If Dobinson or Rocky-Road won't refund/exchange the springs, I may be interested in them, if they are a for sure fit for all 3rd Gen models.
At this point I would end up selling them because I am tired of the hassle. They lift up the V 1.5 inchs I am still in discussion with Dobinson and Rocky Road has LEFT ME IN THE DARK NOT REPLYING TO ANY OF MY EMAILS SENT TO THEM OR ASKING FOR A REFUND. THEY DONT CARE ABOUT A CUSTOMER IT SEEMS LIKE.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts