Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2014 CR-V LX needs new tires. It has the original Continental Cross Contact 215/70-16 tires and factory steel wheels on it. We've put about 15K miles on these tires and I haven't been impressed with the handling or the ride noise (a lot). I'm willing to consider that 5+ year old factory tires may be the culprit here but I'm also considering switching to the 17" factory alloy wheels to improve the handling. We tend to keep our vehicles for a long time so an outlay of $500-600 on alloy wheels will be amortized over 10 years.

Has anyone upgraded to larger diameter wheels and notice a big difference in handling?

Can anyone recommend a 'QUIETER' tire in either 16" or 17"?

Are there any differences in the factory suspension on a CR-V LX vs. a CR-EX which comes with the 17" factory alloys? Larger diameter sway bar?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Larger wheels may result in slightly better handling, but you typically sacrifice ride comfort and road noise, plus the tire price is frequently higher.

I try to stay away from the larger “higher performance” larger wheels.

I’ve even had the dealer switch tires and wheels on a new vehicle with another one on the lot so I could get the smaller wheels.

There are many threads already discussing tire options

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
^^^^This^^^^

Try to stay at, or very close to, the original tire diameter.

215X.7X2/25.4+16=27.85" original tire diameter. When you increase the wheel diameter, you need to reduce the tire aspect ratio in order to maintain original tire diameter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts