Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a CR-V 2008 4WD. It is an EX-L but I doubt that matters.

I'm in the need for all season tires that have good snow traction and I've narrowed it down to either the Michelin Defender or the Goodyear Assurance CS Triple Tred. I live in the Finger Lakes region so we don't get the lake effect snow like Syracuse or Watertown but there was three inches of snow this morning so far and probably another 8in coming. I currently have Goodyear Fortera Triple Treds but they are losing their tred and so much that they are getting bad in snow. It looks like there is no Forteras Triple Treds anymore but there is the Assurance CS Triple Treds. I had good luck with the Assurance Triple Tred (not CS) on a Grand Am and a Subaru Legacy but car and CR-V are not the same. I'm also more of a spirited driver so the GY have worn faster, probably 30-40k (not sure right now) and although wet and dry conditions are doing OK, snow is not. I can't get winter tires right now and then get a new set of all-seasons this summer.

So I'm asking for anyones expirence with either tire in snow, average 3-5 inches and slushy conditions (had trouble the other day thanks to rain/snow change over causing slush). I think each tire stacks up equally in wet/dry.

P.S. The Defender XT is just a Defender sold at Sam's Club and BJs with one strip of tred at a different angle. Actually seems that it would do better in snow than standard Defender.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE:

I decided to go with the Goodyear. After driving the Defenders on my wife's Subaru sedan, they are not bad in snow with AWD but you do have to be cautious, more so than with winter tires. The CR-V does not have AWD and is heavier in the back end where it tends to slide. Nice thing is that I was able to drive away in the snow of the parking lot and roads including plowed and unplowed. It handled great. Didn't have sand bags in the back and it still barely slid more that a few inches when I was trying to make it slide. This morning, thanks to the rain, the roads are cleared so I can say that these tires are quieter that the Fortera Triple Treds I had on before. Yes there will be less tred life and less mpg but acceptable. Regardless of any mpg or tread life, not sliding off the road is more important. Id rather spend more on gas than total my car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.