Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

Premium Member
2021 CR-V EXL Aegean Blue
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 CR-V EX with almost 15,000 miles on it. It has Bridgestone tires on it and they already show considerable wear. I have friends who have 2017 CR-Vs and they had to replace the tires at 30,000 and they don't do any crazy driving. I had Honda Accords for years before I got the CR-V and I would get around 55,000 miles from a set of tires. They were Michelin MXV4+ on the Accords,
but I thought that Bridgestone was a good brand. I took it to a local tire place, and they are a trustworthy business. The owner said that it seems to be a problem with the later model CR-Vs. He said other brands of SUVs don't have that problem and get normal wear on their tires. Does anyone with a 2017 or newer CR-V not have this problem with tires wearing out? I live in New England.

Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
I have a 2018 CR-V EX with almost 15,000 miles on it. It has Bridgestone tires on it and they already show considerable wear. I have friends who have 2017 CR-Vs and they had to replace the tires at 30,000 and they don't do any crazy driving. I had Honda Accords for years before I got the CR-V and I would get around 55,000 miles from a set of tires. They were Michelin MXV4+ on the Accords,
but I thought that Bridgestone was a good brand. I took it to a local tire place, and they are a trustworthy business. The owner said that it seems to be a problem with the later model CR-Vs. He said other brands of SUVs don't have that problem and get normal wear on their tires. Does anyone with a 2017 or newer CR-V not have this problem with tires wearing out? I live in New England.
In those 15,000 miles have you rotated them? Proper air pressure?
Mine is at 17,000 miles with the bridgestones and 7/32 tread and look /feel brand new and i'm on my 4th rotation and check my pressure monthly even with Nitrofill

Registered
Some '17 & '18 Vs have excessive rear tire wear. Honda is aware and is investigating. They've put out a few notices about it.

Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior

You are not going to get 55K miles on OEM tires on any CRV... period. You can approach that with a set of Michelin Defenders... but those are not OEM for Honda.. those are good quality after market tires. Personally, the most I ever got off a set of OEM tires on a CRV was 21K miles.. and that was on my gen3.

As noted above in another post.. some gen5 CRVs have been reported to have abnormal tire wear on the rear wheels. I personally do not see this on mine, but there have been enough reports that Honda has an open investigation as to cause and corrective action.

Accords do better then a CRV in terms of tire life.. because they are completely different tires (wid profile sedan tires rather then general purpose SUV tires). I have Hankook tires on both my 2017 CRV and my wifes 2018 Accord. The Hankooks appear as though they will give 30K+ miles on the Accord, but on the CRV... it appears more like low 20K miles are to be expected. This is based on current tread wear on both vehicles. Now.. that said... I drive almost exlusively in town on short trips in my CRV and my wife does mostly freeway driving in her Accord.. so that is part of it... but also the profile and tread characteristics between the two sets of Hankooks are completely different as well.

Registered
OEM tires on most new cars are garbage. They're generally spec tires and not the same tires you'd be able to go buy off the shelf. While my factory tires had plenty of tread left they were loud were starting to hydroplane on wet roads by 20k. Been basically the same experience in the past, 20-30k and it's time to drop them. With my newish (now have like 5k on them) Goodyears it's quieter, doesn't hydroplane, and getting better mileage as I could rarely break 30mpg, now it's bouncing between 32 and 33 on my commute and longer trips it's been up as far as 35.

Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
How heavy is the car HEAVY, and that is part of the issue Bridgestones are a softer tread get one that is stronger

Registered
Replaced our OEM Bridgestone Ecopias @ 19,000 miles when they were down to 2/32nds and maybe 4/32nds. Alignment was perfect, rotated regularly, and wear was entirely even across the tread.

Could have made it to 20,000 miles perhaps but not a great idea when the inevitable monsoon rains appear with no notice...

Roads here are super abrasive. No-one ever gets the guaranteed mileage out of a set of tires as a result.

Threw some Michelin Defenders on the CRV because I know the tires wear like iron but they are not OEM and $$$$. And they're not gonna make it to their 70,000 mile guarantee either but thats ok - Discount Tire will prorate on them because they're good.

Registered
oem Hankooks lasted about 19000. Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 lasted 26000. Discount tire prorated $88/tire. Now to see how long Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus II last.

Registered
Threw some Michelin Defenders on the CRV because I know the tires wear like iron but they are not OEM and $$$$. And they're not gonna make it to their 70,000 mile guarantee either but thats ok - Discount Tire will prorate on them because they're good.
Consumer reports gives the Michelin Defenders very good marks.. but also notes that they do NOT obtain their stated full life miles (which is just a prorate gimmick by tire makers anyway). Honestly though.. I don't care about rated life in miles because said tires are very good in all other respects and also are only rated for 6 years of useful life.. and the fact is.. old tires, even with good tread remaining, are a hazard waiting to happen. Tire rubber simply does not age well. So that is what I look for 6 years of useful life.. NOT miles.

Premium Member
2021 CR-V EXL Aegean Blue
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the tire info. I like Michelin tires and will check several places to see what a set will cost around here.
I found that the brand of gas that I put in my car makes a difference in mileage. In June, my husband and I went from CT to New Brunswick, Canada, and I averaged 35 mpg. It was raining and the traffic was very heavy, so vehicles were going slow on the highway ( I-95). The mileage went up to 37.5. I get gas at BJ's. If you're a member, you get an additional $.10 off on each gallon. I was using Shell gas, because I would earn gas points with a local grocery store card (Stop & Shop). I don't know if it's a difference in the additives or what but I get an additional 3 mpg around town and 5 mpg more on a long run. A co-worker told me once that he got the best mileage with BJ's gas and it sounded strange, but it's true.

Registered

Registered
We are at 38,000 with the ecopias and bad on me but never rotated them. All look very similar, not down to the wear bars yet, but will be replacing soon. Thinking about continental trucontact, goodyear comfort treads, and a few others. So far crv seems easier on tires than the odyssey.

Registered
Driving slower will ....
In June, my husband and I went from CT to New Brunswick, Canada, and I averaged 35 mpg. It was raining and the traffic was very heavy, so vehicles were going slow on the highway ( I-95). The mileage went up to 37.5.
I concur with LizDouglas. Ours is a 2017 CR-V Touring with I4Turbo & CVT drive train. My wife and I just took a long road trip to IN, KY and the GSM. At 70 MPH, I was getting 32 to 34 MPG, depending on hills and wind. At 65, I was getting 37 to 38 MPG. I believe that the stock V6 from previous years are not as good.

Registered
I believe that the stock V6 from previous years are not as good.
The CR-V has never had a 6 cylinder engine.
In the US they came with:
1997-2001 CR-Vs had an inline 4 cylinder B20 2.0L engine.
2002-2014 CR-Vs had an inline 4 cylinder K24 2.4L engine, and in some other countries the 2002-2014 CR-Vs got a K20 2.0L engine.

Registered
What tire salesman is not going to say the car you drive is not hard on tires? Isn鈥檛 it logical that a tire salesman will say your make/model of car is hard on tires? He鈥檚 a salesman, no? He make money selling tires, no?........and doesn鈥檛 he say the tires he sells are the best and will outperform the current tire on your car.

We have 13K miles on the OE Hancock鈥檚........they still look new.?鈥嶁檪

Personally, I don鈥檛 buy replacement tires with high mileage tread life warranties. In general, the rubber compound in high mileage warranty tires tends to be harder than the rubber compound in lower mileage tires. In general, harder means noisier and all tires (hard or soft compound) get harder, therefore noisier, with age. I prefer quiet(er) tires. Granted, there are other factors that also determine noise level in tires. But again, in general, a harder rubber compound will be noisier than a softer compound.

Probably not going to find a tire with 300 tread wear number on the sidewall with a 80K tread life warranty.?

Reactions: DSMDAVID

Registered
I currently have a 鈥17 Crv Lx with 41,000 miles on it. I just replaced the OEM Bridgestone Ecopia tires with tread still on them. The tread was getting close to the wear line. I replaced them for the winter coming up. I do mix driving of highway and city. I live in The Tri-State area and commute to the city. I upkeep the car as best I can and do rotate the tires. So to hear that others are getting a much lower amount of life from their tires is news to me and it鈥檚 the first time I am hearing about the rear wear problems too. I actually got a real good price from the dealer on replacement Bridgestone Ecopia tires which I could not pass up. Good luck !

Registered
I just swapped out the OEM Hankook's at 37k. I will note that I'm pretty sure my wear was caused by bad alignment; the dealer mentioned during some warranty work that the tires were scrubbing, and sure enough, an alignment check showed the rear was off. After getting the alignment, the wear slowed dramatically.

I now have Yokohama Avid Ascends on there.

Registered
My 2017 w/ OEM Hankook's still look like new at 19K miles. I've rotated once and will likely again at 20K. Had alignment checked at about 10K miles and it was very slightly off. Service Mgr. said not enough to worry about, but I had them do it anyway. I don't see tire wear as unusual on my CR-V but that doesn't speak to experience of others.

Registered
My 2017 CR-V got 35000 miles with Hancook original tires. I've had better mileage with Michelin Defender tires. Also, the Hancook got noisy in their last 5-10000 miles. Michelin are way better, albeit expensive, with an 80,000 mile warranty. No more Hancook for me.

Registered
My 2017 CR-V got 35000 miles with Hancook original tires. I've had better mileage with Michelin Defender tires. Also, the Hancook got noisy in their last 5-10000 miles. Michelin are way better, albeit expensive, with an 80,000 mile warranty. No more Hancook for me.
Yeah.. the Hankooks are OK, in my experience, but when it comes time to replace them.. it will be with Michelin Defenders.. which is what I have put on all my CRVs over the years. The Defenders just have consistently worked well for me over the years on two prior CRVs... though I don't expect the mileage warranty to pan out... CR says they will average about 70K miles in their long term testing.. but I wear tires out on age more so then miles anyway.. so getting six years of life on the Defenders is fine by me.

Thanks for the heads up about noise on the Hankooks when they get low on tread. I kind of expected that, having looked at the treads carefully when the vehicle is new.. but it's nice to have it confirmed. :)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts