Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Tires wear out fast

18121 Views 71 Replies 54 Participants Last post by  williamsji
I have a 2018 CR-V EX with almost 15,000 miles on it. It has Bridgestone tires on it and they already show considerable wear. I have friends who have 2017 CR-Vs and they had to replace the tires at 30,000 and they don't do any crazy driving. I had Honda Accords for years before I got the CR-V and I would get around 55,000 miles from a set of tires. They were Michelin MXV4+ on the Accords,
but I thought that Bridgestone was a good brand. I took it to a local tire place, and they are a trustworthy business. The owner said that it seems to be a problem with the later model CR-Vs. He said other brands of SUVs don't have that problem and get normal wear on their tires. Does anyone with a 2017 or newer CR-V not have this problem with tires wearing out? I live in New England.
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

· Banned
249 Posts
What is the best deal at discount tires that are less road noise? Here is a few notes I have taken.

Michellin are quiet tires
Pirelli Scorpion Strada ($176)
Michelin Defenders , Michelin Defender T+H (192.99)
Michelin Premier LTX tires Michelin Premier A/S $200. per tire

Michelin Premier LTX tires installed on my 2018 Touring AWD. Road noise after replacing Hankook Kinergy tires is significantly reduced and ride is generally much smoother.

Hankook tires are the worst tires made on Earth
Pirelli Scorpion A/S's in 255/55 R18. They are incredibly loud,
Pirelli Scorpion Verdes, Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S ($123/tire), Pirelli Scorpion A/S's in 255/55 R18. They are incredibly loud,
I had Continental Purecontacts on my Fusion before trading it in on the CR-V. I loved them.

· Registered
776 Posts
Who rotates tyre these days? That went out with cross ply's.
I wish this was true, but tire tech isn't there yet. You'll have uneven wear leading to early replacement if you don't. Also, modern AWD systems may be less tolerant to differences in wear, potentially causing damage.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,577 Posts
I wish this was true, but tire tech isn't there yet. You'll have uneven wear leading to early replacement if you don't. Also, modern AWD systems may be less tolerant to differences in wear, potentially causing damage.

Yep. On on a properly aligned CRV (really almost all Hondas) ... the front tires are toe-in sleightly and the rear tires are toe-out sleightly (you can actually see this if you observe the vehicle closely from the rear and just to one side). Which means you will get a bit more gradual wear on the outside on the front and the inside on the rear... and regular rotation will easily make that a non-issue and even out the treadwear and maximize miles on the tires. Been this way on all three of my CRVs over the years.

· Registered
9 Posts
2017 EX-L AWD here, Ecopias are shot at 22,500 (3 front, 5 rear). They've been rotated properly. Should I bite the $800 bullet on Michelins or is there something better? I have Michelin Defenders on my Ridgeline and they are great. Was hoping to be more around $600.

· Registered
776 Posts
2017 EX-L AWD here, Ecopias are shot at 22,500 (3 front, 5 rear). They've been rotated properly. Should I bite the $800 bullet on Michelins or is there something better? I have Michelin Defenders on my Ridgeline and they are great. Was hoping to be more around $600.
I have the Premier LTXs from Costco and love them. With the promotion right now they are at 800, at least in Boston.

The rain stop tests on worn tires is what sold me on these. My Hankooks would hydroplane at the whiff of rain. These cut through water and grip like nothing I've driven.

Since you're asking opinion, bite the bullet and get what you know you like. That is a great, safe tire. Just about anything else is a step down.

· Registered
4 Posts
Just replaced my OEM Hankooks at 40k with Yokohama Tornantes. I probably could have made it to 45k but it was getting a little noisy in the cabin and I picked up a nail. Not real sure about the Tornantes but I hear that they are pretty good. Time will tell..

· Registered
30 Posts
I am in a same situation with our 2018 EX-L with 21,500 miles...absolute crap tire. I live in the snow belt of northern Michigan and can not afford to live with these tires again this winter. Plus one on the Michelin Defender LTX...have them on my F150.

I have new tires on order at Costco ($70 tires + $80 off installation), they offer a “club” version of the Defender LTX, Michelin X LT A/S which is $100 less as well. BTW - I contacted Michelin to ask if it is in fact the same tire (rubber compound, tread depth, siping, etc) and they said it was...only difference is that is is produced for places such as Sams Club and Costco. This is nothing new...going back to the Sears Roadhandler which was a Michelin tire.

The only negative I have had with Michelin tires over the years was $$$!

· Registered
60 Posts
I am in a same situation with our 2018 EX-L with 21,500 miles...absolute crap tire. I live in the snow belt of northern Michigan and can not afford to live with these tires again this winter. Plus one on the Michelin Defender LTX...have them on my F150.

I have new tires on order at Costco ($70 tires + $80 off installation), they offer a “club” version of the Defender LTX, Michelin X LT A/S which is $100 less as well. BTW - I contacted Michelin to ask if it is in fact the same tire (rubber compound, tread depth, siping, etc) and they said it was...only difference is that is is produced for places such as Sams Club and Costco. This is nothing new...going back to the Sears Roadhandler which was a Michelin tire.

The only negative I have had with Michelin tires over the years was $$$!
So are you saying the Michelin - Premier LTX Sold by Costco are the same as the Defender LTX?

FYI.. I just had my '18 EX-L serviced.. 22.6K miles and my Bridgestone Ecopia's were measured at 8/32". I believe this is the second time they were rotated. Granted they suck for traction in the wet.. but seems like they should over 60K.

· Registered
30 Posts
So are you saying the Michelin - Premier LTX Sold by Costco are the same as the Defender LTX?

FYI.. I just had my '18 EX-L serviced.. 22.6K miles and my Bridgestone Ecopia's were measured at 8/32". I believe this is the second time they were rotated. Granted they suck for traction in the wet.. but seems like they should over 60K.
No, the Michelin X LT A/S is the same tire as the Michelin Defender LTX...

· Registered
55 Posts
I have a 2018 CR-V EX with almost 15,000 miles on it. It has Bridgestone tires on it and they already show considerable wear. I have friends who have 2017 CR-Vs and they had to replace the tires at 30,000 and they don't do any crazy driving. I had Honda Accords for years before I got the CR-V and I would get around 55,000 miles from a set of tires. They were Michelin MXV4+ on the Accords,
but I thought that Bridgestone was a good brand. I took it to a local tire place, and they are a trustworthy business. The owner said that it seems to be a problem with the later model CR-Vs. He said other brands of SUVs don't have that problem and get normal wear on their tires. Does anyone with a 2017 or newer CR-V not have this problem with tires wearing out? I live in New England.

2018 CRV EXL here with 14,000 miles. The Bridgestone Ecopia tires were so bad during my first two winters, I'm not going through a third. Purchased new Michelin Premier with much better ratings. Interestingly, the Ecopia OEM ratings on Tirerack.com are horrendous. "Not Acceptable" Rating. However the OEM tires are manufactured to Honda's specs to provide a quiet, smooth ride. Nothing about wear or use in snow. I live in Iowa. It's already snowing here. Good luck with your decision. I also had Michelin Primacy MXV4s on my 2014 Accord purchased at my expense. Best money I ever spent!

· Registered
176 Posts
Question: I have these Ecopias on my 2017 CR-V and at the last dealer oil change/inspection, they said I'd probably need new tires in a few months. Is there any pro-rated warranty credit or anything on these for when I go to buy new tires? I thought per Bridgestone they are supposed to be rated for like 70K miles.

· Registered
41 Posts
I managed to get almost 32,000 miles on the factory Bridgestone Ecopias that came with my '17 EX-L under "normal" New England driving conditions with regular rotations and pressure checks, per the Maintenance Minder. That's about as good as it gets with factory tires.

I had my state inspection, last month, and was warned that my tires were approaching their expiration date. The tread on three was down to 4/32. One was at 3/32. It was time to shop for new ones. I did my research on Tirerack.com, among other sites, and ended up going with a set of BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT's. I wanted a good set of all-seasons that could, capably, handle just about any weather that gets thrown at them. These were amongst the highest rated on Tire Rack and less expensive then many of the, comparably, rated all-seasons (such as Michelin Defender T+H and Goodyear Assurance Maxlife...both of which made my short list). In the short time I've had them, I've been able to road test them on the highway and in inclement weather (rain, light snow). So far, I'm quite impressed with them. Much quieter than the Ecopias, too (at least to my ears). Will I get the 60,000 miles that they're warrantied for? Time will tell.

· Registered
716 Posts
The 2020 CRV touring runs 235/55 R19 and in Canada at least they are equipped with Continental crosscontact all seasons. I switched mine out for Nokian WRG4 all weathers at 50 km and will put the oem’s up on Kijiji this spring. I have 3000 km since December on the Nokians. They do not disappoint in snow and ice and past experience with the Nokians show good handling and tread wear in warm weather as well.

· Registered
122 Posts
Some '17 & '18 Vs have excessive rear tire wear. Honda is aware and is investigating. They've put out a few notices about it.
A fellow made a video on this. He thought there was a problem with the drive shaft phasing. The front angle of the drive shaft didn't match the rear. It resulted in the rear tires dragging slightly causing unusual wear.

· Registered
122 Posts
Has anyone experience with summer tires? Not necessarily High Performance, just good summer tires to compliment the Michelin X-ice I run in the winter. There only seems to be a few recommended by the manufacturer. Michelin recommends the Latitude Sport 3 ($900CA) or the Pilot Sport SUV. Both pretty expensive.

· Registered
251 Posts
I can't believe I'm posting on this topic. Our dealership says two of the tires on the wife's 2018 CR-V with 21,775 miles are at 3/32nds and must be replaced before winter. New tires start out at 10/32nds tread. Most of us know OEM tires on new cars are not made with the highest quality but I would say these Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus are criminal in their manufacturing. The tires have been rotated three by a Honda dealership and I am obsessed with keeping proper tire pressure for safety and wear. To use up 70% of a tire in less than 22k when Bridgestone rates tire wear at 700 for this tire (translates to 70k) means Buyer Beware.

After reading this thread, I summarized various poster's comments with similar experiences:

I have a 2018 CR-V EX with almost 15,000 miles on it. It has Bridgestone tires on it and they already show considerable wear. I have friends who have 2017 CR-Vs and they had to replace the tires at 30,000 and they don't do any crazy driving.
Some '17 & '18 Vs have excessive rear tire wear. Honda is aware and is investigating. They've put out a few notices about it. {I would love to have a source reference for this remark}
Replaced our OEM Bridgestone Ecopias @ 19,000 miles when they were down to 2/32nds and maybe 4/32nds. Alignment was perfect, rotated regularly, and wear was entirely even across the tread.
We are at 38,000 with the ecopias and bad on me but never rotated them. All look very similar, not down to the wear bars yet, but will be replacing soon.
Same experience here: 20,000 miles on my 2018 and the factory tires were worn to the wear bars and had to be replaced. I know OEM tires are frequently garbage, but these are lower down on the hierarchy of garbage than most.
2017 EX-L AWD here, Ecopias are shot at 22,500 (3 front, 5 rear). They've been rotated properly.
I am in a same situation with our 2018 EX-L with 21,500 miles...absolute crap tire. I live in the snow belt of northern Michigan and can not afford to live with these tires again this winter.
Looking at feedback on ConsumerAffairs.com there are numerous reports of bad experience; a couple with dangerous blowouts.

I am not sure what Tire Rack or Consumers Report might have to say about these tires but I would highly recommend anyone with these OEM junk tires at least stop at a tire store and have the thread checked before winter!

· Premium Member
5,541 Posts
I can't believe I'm posting on this topic. Our dealership says two of the tires on the wife's 2018 CR-V with 21,775 miles are at 3/32nds and must be replaced before winter. New tires start out at 10/32nds tread. Most of us know OEM tires on new cars are not made with the highest quality but I would say these Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus are criminal in their manufacturing. The tires have been rotated three by a Honda dealership and I am obsessed with keeping proper tire pressure for safety and wear. To use up 70% of a tire in less than 22k when Bridgestone rates tire wear at 700 for this tire (translates to 70k) means Buyer Beware.

After reading this thread, I summarized various poster's comments with similar experiences:

Looking at feedback on ConsumerAffairs.com there are numerous reports of bad experience; a couple with dangerous blowouts.

I am not sure what Tire Rack or Consumers Report might have to say about these tires but I would highly recommend anyone with these OEM junk tires at least stop at a tire store and have the thread checked before winter!
I "liked" your post, not because you have this issue, but because you have taken the time to inform others!

41 - 60 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.