Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about this? We had a 2006 CRV EX in Wisconsin, burned up tires in about 26K. Now we have a 2014 CRV LX 2wd, burned up two sets of tires in 24k and 25k.. This is ridiculous, since all of my hondas have lasted until 80K (accords). My neighbor with a Kia Sportage lasts til 50K. Why can't the Honda?

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,920 Posts
Are you talking about OEM tires?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
How about this? We had a 2006 CRV EX in Wisconsin, burned up tires in about 26K. Now we have a 2014 CRV LX 2wd, burned up two sets of tires in 24k and 25k.. This is ridiculous, since all of my hondas have lasted until 80K (accords). My neighbor with a Kia Sportage lasts til 50K. Why can't the Honda?

Oems vary based on use and area.
I actually checked my depth on my oems on our 2017 after 12,500 miles and i’m at 7/32 all around.
I think i’ll get to 25k ans replace just because of our snowy winters.

If you are talking aftermarkets, check what they are rated for and contact the maker for some type of prorated credit

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
360 Posts
Well you're in good company as Joie Chitwood never got the expected miles either.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
That's not right. I have 22k on OEM tires and they're fine, half way in.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not sure why you are having short tire life....just changed the tires on my 2012 awd with 174,000 kms on them and the tire dealer was wondering why I was changing them ( had 3 flats on one tire ) . I replaced them with Michelin T and H ....very happy with them.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
Very much depends on your actual driving and driving habits, in conjunction with the fact that there IS a treadwear rating system for tires.. and as such.. they are NOT all created equal.

OEM tires generally, though there can be exceptions, have lower treadwear rating codes, even though they lack the performance improvements that often go with low treadwear rating codes. The reasons for this are practical in nature... lower cost so lower sticker price on the vehicle... coupled with the fact that tires can be a very passionate topic with owners.... so why put lots of OEM money in a tire brand that the owner may actually prefer to replace for their favorite brand.

After market tires... where to start.... there are so many on the market and they run the full gambit of treadwear ratings, performance ratings, etc. Generally though..... when you go to a big market tire store chain... price will be the clearest indicator of expected treadwear... because looking at a wide inventory within a single tire store chain you are getting as close to apples to apples as you can (setting aside any promotional sales pricing).

Michelin Defender series.... I have always found them to be excellent in treadwear, meeting or exceeding Michelin mileage figures.... even with heavy urban driving which is hard on tire treads due to constant accelerating from stop, braking to stop, turning.. particularly right turns.

Net net.. if you buy inexpensive tires, do not expect to get premium treadwear results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 2wd EX-L and I live in northwest Ohio. I do a significant amount of highway driving. I replaced the oem tires at 100,000 miles. Would have run them a bit longer, but winter was coming. I replaced them with the exact same tire. If it isn’t broken, I am not going to try and fix it. But my wife just purchased a certified 2016 Accord, and her original tires will be lucky to see 40,000 before they will need to be replaced. My brother had a 2012 EX-L AWD and his oem tires wore out at 40,000. Incidentally, they were a different brand than mine. Don’t know if it was the 2wd/awd difference or the model year that caused them to have two different brands of tires from the factory.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX
48 Posts
Got 40K out of a set of OEM Continentals (3 yr./36K mile warranty) on my 2013 CRV EX. Replaced them with Michelin LTX2 which are wearing well. At each oil change, I get the tires rotated and balanced and the alignment checked. When the car was new, I bought from Firestone a rotate and balance contract on the OEM tires and an alignment contract on the vehicle for my ownership. Bought a second tire contract from Firestone for the current tires. I believe both contracts help to maximize wear as I tend to keep my cars for 10 years or more.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i got to 43k and saw dry rot on the oem tires, ended up putting on cooper starfire solarus.. they seem good for the $$ Pepboys specials.. with warranty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts