Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Think i'm having some problems with my torque converter (or at least that's what i think i've narrowed it down to). I'm driving an 05 EX AWD with just under 130k. Basically, when i get up to around 35-40mph occasionally i get a shudder, like i'm driving over rumble strips or something like that. If i give it a little more gas it stops. I've also noticed if i put it in the D3/lockout then it doesn't happen. Other than this, everything is shifting fine and whatnot. So from what i've been reading (here and other places) it sounds like something's wrong with the torque converter. So, does it need replaced outright? I read a few places that i should try a transmission flush or something like that to see if that fixes things first.
Also, i had a trip planned for this coming weekend. It'll be about a 6 hour drive, all highway. Think i am safe to make the trip??

·
Registered
62 Posts
There's a good chance it's your trans fluid and not the TC. My 2001 with 150k was doing something very similar and it stopped completely after I cycled the trans fluid. It's a very simple procedure with some youtube vids out there to help. If you check my user name you will find my posts about the problem and how I fixed it. Note if you do it yourself you may see metal shavings stuck to the trans fluid plug. That's normal, and you should remove those shavings with a rag before you put the plug back.

Good luck!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree transmission fluid change x3 should be first step using honda dw-1 fluid -also using d3 in town and generally below 50mph will be easier on your transmission and car will be much more responsive. Due to federal mpg requirements manufacturers have programmed transmissions to shift up into overdrive and lockup torque convertors way too soon just to get another few tenths mpg. It is really not very good for engine or transmission to be lugging along at 1500 rpm in top gear -so use d3 below 50 and it will be better for your crv. (my opinion)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts