Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE CR-V OF THE MONTH
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my homework and researched as much as I could before picking a gas efficient (hopefully) small SUV to replace my 1999 Nissan Altima... My Altima has been good to me, but it was time to upgrade. After much hair-pulling and decision making, I finally decided on a satin silver 2004 CR-V EX 4WD with 41K. I signed on the dotted line last night, so I guess that officially makes me a CR-V owner. Yay!

I have poured over the owners manual and am in love with all the nifty hiding places in the car, but now, the true test begins. In your opinion, what are the top 5 things I need to know as a new owner of this car?
Thanks!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well, there is only one problem with your decision. You decided to share your joy, and DID NOT share even a single picture. :D

I traded a 2007 Honda Ridgeline mainly because of gas concerns and I'm loving my CR-V!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Welcome,I don't know about 5 things to know about your new V other than to get familiar where everything is .Wiper switch and how they work,door locks,power windows,tilt.I remember renting a car in Florida and pulling up to a toll booth and not knowing where the button to open the power window was,really stupid.

·
Registered
264 Posts
congrats on your purchase!!! one tip is enjoy driving it!!!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Top 5? Well Somewhere In There

Welcome to the club and congratulation on your V!

Top 5 Things To Know? I don't know but here are a few from the top 25 or top 100.

1. The rear differential fluid needs changed far more often than 90,000 miles. 15,000 to 30,000 is more to the truth. If you have no record of it being changed, I would do so at your next oil change.

2. Use only Honda Brand fluids (except motor oil).

3. Be aware that the Gen 2's do have a problem with the AC compressor locking up. If you note loud strange noises when turning on the air conditioning or any defroster mode (air on windshield--the compressor runs whether the AC is on or not), turn the AC or defroster off immediately and get it to the dealer.

4. If your rear hatch light blinks on and off, there are a couple threads here for fixing up the switch.

5. There are some members here that have a lot of experience with Honda maintenace and can help you out.

Welcome and good luck with your V.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the pointers. I am learning more about my car everyday and loving it more and more too! I took it in for it's new purchase check-up and was glad to hear it got a clean bill of health. Now I am working on a name. Hmmm...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3. Be aware that the Gen 2's do have a problem with the AC compressor locking up. If you note loud strange noises when turning on the air conditioning or any defroster mode (air on windshield--the compressor runs whether the AC is on or not), turn the AC or defroster off immediately and get it to the dealer.
Argh!!! I have put less than 300 miles on my used 2004 and I think your prophecy has come to fruition! I was driving with my a/c on when I heard a grumble, clunk, and a scraping sound. Then suddenly, the a/c was blowing air the same temp as the vent setting. Is this a recall problem that I can take to a Honda dealer and get fixed for free or do I need to try to see if my 3,000 mile, 3 month limited warranty from my seller will cover the problem?
Argh!!! Help?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Argh!!! I have put less than 300 miles on my used 2004 and I think your prophecy has come to fruition! I was driving with my a/c on when I heard a grumble, clunk, and a scraping sound. Then suddenly, the a/c was blowing air the same temp as the vent setting. Is this a recall problem that I can take to a Honda dealer and get fixed for free or do I need to try to see if my 3,000 mile, 3 month limited warranty from my seller will cover the problem?
Argh!!! Help?
Check online, and here, for any TSBs or warranty notices and notifications.

Everytime I see your name, I get thirsty for some reason...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sorry to hear about your AC problem. I would contact the dealership as soon as possible about the warranty and pursue this promptly. I hope the repair will be covered by the warranty. If it was going to happen, this is probably the best time as it has happened within 90 days from your purchase date. Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pop, clunk, growl...

Thanks for the well wishes. Now I am trying to locate any TSBs related to this problem. Do you know if there are any and if so, where can I find them to print out?
Thanky thanky,

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Sometimes I Hate Being Right

Damn! Sorry to be the predictor of bad news. Sorry to hear about your AC but as someone mentioned maybe better now than later.

Our list of TSBs are here:

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/t2453/

I didn't see one for the AC problem. I don't believe that there is a recall on it and Honda good will consideration is shaky at best. If you can get it fixed on what ever warranty you got, I think that would be the way to go. Is the seller a Honda dealer? If not you may be in for a bit of a battle. Well I hope it is covered and I am truly sorry to be the oracle of doom. Very uncool.

Good luck with your repair and keep us posted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.