Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The touch screen on my 2017 CRV Touring started beeping and going black while I was on a highway with nowhere to stop. The beeping was constant and a "Brightness" bar kept popping up and it would self adjust. I couldn't do anything with the screen. It went on for a half hour before I could pull off, at that time it was much slower but still doing it. This was the second time it's happened with a couple months between issues. It's extremely annoying when driving. Evidently Honda has had problems with this type thing for years. They need to find a fix pronto!

·
Registered
116 Posts
The touch screen on my 2017 CRV Touring started beeping and going black while I was on a highway with nowhere to stop. The beeping was constant and a "Brightness" bar kept popping up and it would self adjust. I couldn't do anything with the screen. It went on for a half hour before I could pull off, at that time it was much slower but still doing it. This was the second time it's happened with a couple months between issues. It's extremely annoying when driving. Evidently Honda has had problems with this type thing for years. They need to find a fix pronto!

The Garmin DA+ system was new to the CRV in 2017 at Full Model Change (FMC), but was launched in this iteration in the '16 Civic (stand alone screens and control unit). The early '16 Civic's did have a flickering issue similar to what you're describing and Honda launched a TSB to update the software, so the issue was contained only to just the '16 M/Y Civic.

No one, including Honda or your dealer wants you to have a bad experience with your CRV, but it's difficult to fix what you cannot duplicate. The biggest question is can you hop in the car with the tech and demonstrate the issue to the dealer so they have a fighting chance to diagnose the issue correctly?

If not, it becomes a guess and it falls into 3 categorizes:
- The display
- The Audio/Navigation unit (ANU)
- An "outside trigger", which means something that's being introduced to the system like a USB devise or cell phone via BT that is causing ANU to malfunction (very unlikely in you situation since it appears to be very infrequent)
Since the most likely culprit is the display, if the dealer could duplicate the issue after you demonstrated to them, they could substitute a known-good display from another vehicle and see if the issue is now cured. if YES, they would replace the display. If NO, they would replace the ANU. Since a dealer's marching orders are "if there are no TSB's for the customers concern and you cannot duplicate the issue you are not authorized to guess or 'shotgun' the issuie".

So how can you help the dealer in diagnosing the problem? If you cannot demonstrate the concern to the dealer, but can show them a video of the issue, they can now go the District Parts and Service Manager and get authorization to "guess" with a replacement screen. It also makes it easy for them to call there technical support folks (Tech Line) and have them review the symptoms contained in the video. Tech Line can give the technician a far more accurate diagnose since they have a very high view of seeing cases from all over the nation where as for your dealer, this might be the only CRV they ever see with this issue.

So to recap:
- Demonstrate the issue to the dealer so they can accurately diagnose your concern.
- If you cannot, make a video or two of the event so they can see what you see and have something to promote to the DPSM and/or Tech Line so they can make the best "guess" they possibly can.

I hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
It sure is annoying.

My dealer did a "capacitor reset," which means disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, which, so far, has worked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My CRV also had this problem. Last weekend my dealership reset my radio to factory settings. The problem happened again within the week. I took it back to the dealership today and within 15 minutes they told me that my display needed to be replaced. A Honda Engineer (I think that’s what they referred to him as) was on site, which I think took the guesswork out of it.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
There is going to be a certain amount of failures in all electronics. I suggest that you politely ask them to change the HU for a new one under warranty. Replicating the problem does make the process of exchange easier but It really does not matter if you cannot replicate it. Just tell them that it has this issue and that it pops up every so often and you need a replacement.

For any Honda dealer this should be not be a big deal. If they send back 5 dead HU to Honda every month, then Honda will send them 5 new ones.

Rob

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
but if honda test the units and nothing is wrong with them, they will refuse to pay the dealers. Thats why they need the ok from Tech line or a Honda engineer
Trust me they don't test these things back at the "repair centers" like they did in the old days. They will either throw them away or they will scrap the boards out of them and put them back on the assembly line where the integrated test systems will either detect a fault or pass each board. If it passes it get built into a new unit. Things like the display, cables, knobs, chassis and other items subject to wear will be thrown out automatically. Unless something is hugely different at Mitsubishi they handle it just like other companies that mass produce low end electronics. And yes this is low end electronics!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also had this exact problem happen last week. I also had an issue in Feb with my navigation and screen freezing. I contacted my dealership and this was their response:
Hello and good morning I looked at your email , we have not had many issues with audio units , we have ran into a couple instances that phones are not compatible with certain models , or if a phone was just updated , the phone had to be un paired and re paired to the system to make it work properly but that’s about it
I don't feel like they really addressed my concern.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This exact problem happened to me two days ago (2018 CR-V Touring w/ 500 miles on it). It actually resolved spontaneously after about 30 minutes and has not recurred. Am headed for the dealership today but undoubtedly will have no ability to reproduce the problem, but at least I'll have the problem on record.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
This exact problem happened to me two days ago (2018 CR-V Touring w/ 500 miles on it). It actually resolved spontaneously after about 30 minutes and has not recurred. Am headed for the dealership today but undoubtedly will have no ability to reproduce the problem, but at least I'll have the problem on record.
And then again, you may not have it on record. Many service advisers will say if it is not doing it right now, no need to have a the look at it and they will not write up a repair order. They will say to take a picture of it when it is acting up, or bring it back when it is. Just saying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same for me with 2017 CR-V Touring. Head unit application version: Ver.1.F193.03

Occurred twice to me on 6/9/18 and again on 6/29/18 both times on the highway. Here is a video:

https://youtu.be/etnziEAzpss

Video link added by Moderator. :)

I tried to put in link but haven't posted enough yet. Go to youtube and search for
2017 Honda CR-V Head Unit Brightness Glitch and you'll see a number of videos. Mine is the 24 second one)

In addition, the instrument panel did this where it has the Ipod music icon (no ipod was plugged in), the compass and "Not Supported" all overlayed on top of each other. Had to pull over, restart car, and soft reset head unit to get it back to normal. (again, can't post links yet of image, I'll add the URL later).

I showed it to my dealer, Honda of Downtown Chicago, and they said they couldn't reproduce so nothing they could do. If it happens again I'll make a bigger stink.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The exact thing happened to my then 15 month old EXL back in May, two times. The first time we were on the NJ Turnpike so we had to drive to a rest area before stopping. The second time we were pulling into a Wendy's. Both times the problem disappeared when restarting. I started poking around and realized that my instrument dimmer didn't do anything except reset the trip meters. Since I had an appointment to get my Brake Master Cylinder replaced, I added this to the list.

This is the dealer write-up:
Customer state the center display does not dim or change in brightness
Honda released software update to repair this concern
Updated PCM as per Honda. System is operating as designed now.

This warranty work was done in early June and the Flashing has not reoccurred
But probably more importantly my instrument and infotainment panels both dim or brighten when I turn the dimmer knob.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The only time I get any headunit issues is when my wife plugs her phone into the car.
I have an iphone x updated and no notifications (ocd)
She has an iphone 7 with a million red notification icons emails and not updated.

The black screen brightness once during a trip back from NC to NJ

I think its a combo of slow HU & it trying to sift through all the data.
I clear all texts after i send, she has ones probably from 2014 lol

·
Registered
631 Posts
mine is doing the exact same thing..tried the soft reboot last night hoping it fixes it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
more of same

Took my 2018 CRV in to local Honda service about this identical problem yesterday. Printed out the several reports of experiences others had submitted. Service adviser was very nice, but didn't listen, didn't look at the video of my touchscreen doing its antics that I had recorded, didn't look at the material I had printed out, etc. He told me that the problem was my cell phone, and that I should not connect my cell phone to the car for a week to see what happens. I'll do it, but if the problem doesn't recur it obviously won't prove anything, since it is infrequently intermittent. The problem is clearly in the electronics of the touchscreen circuitry. I'm sure Honda is sitting on a bunch of these reports, and I'll add mine to it in a communication with customer relations, but this is pretty ridiculous!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The exact same thing has also happened to me, 2017 CRV EX, multiple times!Is there a firmware update that fixes this and what is the version number?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Happened to us too yesterday. Passenger did 2 reboots while driving. It resolved after about 20 mins and hasn't recurred. 2017 Touring.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think I can top everyone here on the display/touchscreen/head unit issue. I AM LIVID RIGHT NOW OVER THIS!

I bought my 2017 Touring model almost exactly 1 year ago. It’s at the dealership for the 4th time for the issue as we speak.

It started with this problem last Sep. after taking it in with LOTS of video they agreed to replace it. They had already reset, updated and done a hard reset. Nothing had worked. It was doing the same as the one in video above. After they replaced it it was great for about 2 months. Then a new problem started in Feb. Very similar but not the same. More flashing like a short and no beeping or black screen. It gets brighter and Keeps flashing. This is now happening about 1-2 times a week. It is a terrible distraction and completely unusable when this happens.

I took it back in showed them a dozen videos. They kept it a few days and said they couldn’t get it to do it again. It continues! I kept calling them. They’ve told me it is likely my iPhone causeing the problem. I’ve had it disconnected for 2 months. It still goes on! We call the service department and the manager won’t return our calls. I got fed up and called another dealership. They told me it’s unlikely that a second screen would have a problem. They think it could have been a problem with the replacement being replaced by the other service department in the other dealership. I said can YOU fix it? He said if they do and Its a problem the other dealership caused I will have to pay for it and then go after the other dealership for reimbursement.

One day it started doing it and I drove 30 mins to the dealership so they could see the issue IN PERSON! The service manager and a tech came out and were shocked to see how bad it is. They even took videos. They said we’ll send this to the engineers and get back with you. No return call and our voicemails go unanswered.

So after months of calls we call the dealership and speak to the dealership manager and tell him the story. Within 24 hours the service department finally returns our call. Bring it in and we’ll see what we can find. It’s been there 3 days and I haven’t heard from them. I don’t think they’ll fix it. It’s probably just sitting there because they have no idea as to what to do.

I am totally fed up!! Next week if not fixed I’m calling Honda. I’m gonna keep calling until I find someone who can help. I am so sad that from the get go my new car has had this issue. I love it except for THIS ISSUE! THEY NEED TO MAKE THIS RIGHT AND FIX iT!

This car is a danger for me to drive when this happens. It is so distracting! At night if it happens I have to turn the screen off. Flashing lights give me terrible headaches and this has triggered a few headaches.

The display is totally unusable when this happens!

I’m at a loss!! 😕

1 - 20 of 136 Posts