Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After two years, my 2017 Honda touch screen looks like this:

(Sorry for the dust.) I have several dark smudges and on the left, 4 light smudges. Using lens cleaner with a microfiber cloth has no effect. Anyone else with this problem? Is this permanent? Do I need to get a new screen?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wow. Thank you for posting this.

When we got our CRV I was afraid of something like this happening so I searched out a screen protector from ebay. I first got a cheap flexible plastic one which constantly got bubbles under it during either really hot or cold weather. I got tired of that so I recently ripped it off and replaced it with one that is supposedly made out of thin, somewhat flexible tempered glass. It seems to be doing much better now.

I remember posting questions about screen protectors on here a long time ago and most of the replies said don't worry, the OEM screen will be fine and shouldn't get scratched up. After looking at what happened to yours, I'm glad I didn't listen.

Sorry I'm not of much help to your issue. Let us know if you figure out a way to clean it up.

Is the car still under warranty? Have you reached out to your dealer to see if they can help you out at all? Keep us posted.

·
Registered
415 Posts
sorry, that looks bad :(
Just duster to dust off the dust and the occasional wipe to clean-out the fingerprint, (water-damp-almost dry cotton cloth). It still looks new on mine. (eyeglass cloth is best, I never use microfiber nor glass cleaner on the inside of a car). some glass cleaners have alcohol or some sort on them.
looking at your picture closely, the edges seems like there is a screen protector on top of it.
I remember tint installers always warns me not to use glass cleaners that has some alcohol or something (ammonia?) on the film so not to cause fading.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That looks pretty bad. For first year that I had my '17, my screen was naked. All I did to maintain it was wipe it with a damp microfiber, every once in a while, to remove dust and fingerprints. No special cleaners needed. Still continued to look great. After a year, I decided to look for a screen protector. I bought these:

https://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Protect-Anti-glare-Screen-Protectors/dp/B06Y4FKFVZ/

After messing up the first film (live and learn), I got the second one installed without any issues. You can barely tell it's there. It still looks good a year-and-a-half later. I continue to just use a damp microfiber to keep it clean.

My guess is that there may have been something in the chemical composition of the lens cleaner you used that didn't play nice with finish of the screen. For that reason, I tend to avoid using cleaners on materials that they are not intended to be used on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, all the smudges/spots showed up before I tried any cleansers. Before then, I just used a dry microfiber towel to wipe away dust. (And I did not put any screen protector on the screen) I'm headed to the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully it's under warranty.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Vinegar and water on anything glass or clear plastic. That combo has never left me down or had any negative effects other than my wife saying she hates the smell of vinegar.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: dealer states the screen will be replaced and is under warranty.
Now to scroll through old posts for info re screen protectors. Thanks to Cerebro above for getting me started.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After two years, my 2017 Honda touch screen looks like this:
View attachment 134963

(Sorry for the dust.) I have several dark smudges and on the left, 4 light smudges. Using lens cleaner with a microfiber cloth has no effect. Anyone else with this problem? Is this permanent? Do I need to get a new screen?
I won’t be any help to you but I have the exact same issue after using Meguiar’s Interior Detailer. This cleaner says specifically that it cleans navigation screens. Afterwards I bought Zeiss lens cleaner spray and used it on a microfiber cloth. It is no better. Is there any way to clear this up?

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
90 Posts
We are using this glass screen protector, and it rocks!

Shows fingerprints a bit more than the stock plastic, but you can just use the steering wheel to do everything anyway.
Glass will never get damaged by cleaning chemicals, and the mirror surface really goes with the interior:

·
Registered
467 Posts
What kind of Maguair’s cleaner did you use? If it wasn’t screen safe I think you’ll have to replace it. There’s a coating that may have been removed by the cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
Yeah.. you have a real mess on your hands there. Whatever you used appears to have been a cleaning or polishing "cream" which is a no no.

The core issue with the head unit screen in the gen5 CRV is that it has a matte finish on the top layer. That matte finish sucks up and refuses to give up finger oils over time, and I can clearly see you have residue from whatever you used to clean the glass surface, and it is going to be a real pain to remove.

My suggestion is to use the wet wipes made specifically for flat screen displays and gently work to clean all the gunk off. Even then.. you will probably never get it all off the surface.. again.. due to the micropores in the matte surface.

At the first signs of embedded finger oils in the surface of mine.... I simply purchased and installed the best of the best in flexible touch screen protectors specifically made for the gen5 CRV... which would be from Photodon, who makes screen protectors of all kinds for harsh and industrial environments. And as owners.. we need to embrace that a hot cabin interior in a vehicle sitting for hours in the sun, baking in and drying hard various oils and sweat from your fingers IS a harsh environment. This is the screen protector I went with and it has been fabulous for over two years now... wipes clean no matter what, hides the matte finish, and really sharpens up the finish of the head unit glass: Amazon.com: Photodon Clear, Anti-Scratch Screen Protector for Honda CR-V 2017 EX/EX-L/Touring 7-inch Navigation with Mobile screen protector installation and care kit Note that I chose the 9HO gloss finish protector.. NOT the matte finish... which just returns you to where you are. Note you can order these directly from Photodon, or you can order from them through Amazon if that is what you prefer.

Note: the description of the Photodon product says it is glass.. but it is not.. it is an industrial grade polymer. And if you follow the excellent installation instructions and videos from photodon... you will have the product installed in about 10 minutes... AFTER you get that glass cleaned up. DO NOT apply any glass screen protectors that are sold on the internet.. they will all crack and peel within months due to the high and low temperature extremes the cabin sees.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
We are using this glass screen protector, and it rocks!

Shows fingerprints a bit more than the stock plastic, but you can just use the steering wheel to do everything anyway.
Glass will never get damaged by cleaning chemicals, and the mirror surface really goes with the interior:

View attachment 142260
View attachment 142259
I did a lot of research back in 2018 on screen protectors for gen5 CRV head units. What a hot mess the market offerings were too... just reading through user reviews and complaints.

Generally speaking... all the glass screen protectors (all appear to be sourced/sold by merchants in China) ... will not hold up over time. The problem is that either the adhesive bubbles over time or the glass itself cracks or both... due to the range of temperature extremes your average cabin interior faces over time. How long before this happens very much depends on the climate conditions the vehicle is exposed to every day. Kept in your garage and not left parked all day in hot sun.... you may, or may not, get a good run off of the one you installed. If you leave your car parked in sunlight in the summer... that glass is going to stress crack at some point on you, or the adhesive will delaminate (this is based on actual customer feedback on a range of different glass screen protectors).

This is a much better choice for anyone looking to put a screen protector on their head unit: Amazon.com: Photodon Clear, Anti-Scratch Screen Protector for Honda CR-V 2017 EX/EX-L/Touring 7-inch Navigation with Mobile screen protector installation and care kit It is made from a multiplayer polymer specifically designed for use in industrial environments.. and I have had one on my Head Unit for almost two years now... and it still looks brand new and in super easy to wipe clean as it is very much oleophobic.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring Modern Steel
47 Posts
I did a lot of research back in 2018 on screen protectors for gen5 CRV head units. What a hot mess the market offerings were too... just reading through user reviews and complaints.

Generally speaking... all the glass screen protectors (all appear to be sourced/sold by merchants in China) ... will not hold up over time. The problem is that either the adhesive bubbles over time or the glass itself cracks or both... due to the range of temperature extremes your average cabin interior faces over time. How long before this happens very much depends on the climate conditions the vehicle is exposed to every day. Kept in your garage and not left parked all day in hot sun.... you may, or may not, get a good run off of the one you installed. If you leave your car parked in sunlight in the summer... that glass is going to stress crack at some point on you, or the adhesive will delaminate (this is based on actual customer feedback on a range of different glass screen protectors).

This is a much better choice for anyone looking to put a screen protector on their head unit: Amazon.com: Photodon Clear, Anti-Scratch Screen Protector for Honda CR-V 2017 EX/EX-L/Touring 7-inch Navigation with Mobile screen protector installation and care kit It is made from a multiplayer polymer specifically designed for use in industrial environments.. and I have had one on my Head Unit for almost two years now... and it still looks brand new and in super easy to wipe clean as it is very much oleophobic.
Based on williamsji review last year I purchased the exact same Screen Protector for my 2018 Touring and it has lived up to all claims.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What kind of Maguair’s cleaner did you use? If it wasn’t screen safe I think you’ll have to replace it. There’s a coating that may have been removed by the cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As noted in my post:
"Meguiar’s Interior Detailer. This cleaner says specifically that it cleans navigation screens"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts