Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some collective wisdom here on my new Touring model. I noticed when in reverse at night the camera display is all grainy and washed out, really hard to see details well. I thought maybe it was locked on "day" on the display (you used to be able to do that) but when I press the day/night menu button I don't see a day/night option, just a brightness slider like the one deeper in the settings. I did some experimenting and found that in the settings for the display the contrast and black level seem to have a minor effect on the screen when moved from min to max but the brightness setting has no effect at all. What I am seeing is with it dark outside, the headlights on and the dimmer control for the instruments anywhere from full dim to full bright (which works fine) the display screen is always very bright even while both brightness sliders are set to the minimum. Can anyone check theirs and compare it with what mine is doing? I'm pretty convinced it can't be normal.

Rob

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been through the setup menus a lot and have read the manual a lot and I have not seen anything like this. Can you explain further, please?

Rob

·
Registered
79 Posts
You access the three different modes bottom left icon on the touch screen that looks like a sun and moon. You can cycle through the three modes on it (day/night/off) by repeatedly tapping it and set the brightness on each one accordingly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, that is pretty much what I expected that button to do but all it actually does is open the brightness slider, nothing else. Any ideas?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks for the reply, that is pretty much what I expected that button to do but all it actually does is open the brightness slider, nothing else. Any ideas?
Reboot the system either by holding down the volume knob, or a full vehicle reset by disconnecting the battery. Several people have had to do this to fix the auto headlights and the dimming of the display, those systems appear to be related.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You set each mode with the brightness slider. Set the first one full brightness (or almost full brightness) and the next one half way. The third will be dark.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Reboot the system either by holding down the volume knob, or a full vehicle reset by disconnecting the battery. Several people have had to do this to fix the auto headlights and the dimming of the display, those systems appear to be related.
I will add that some folks (like me) needed to do a full battery disconnect to reset the entire system to get the Auto headlights and its associated settings to work. If the system reboot doesn't work, you might want to consider that (the dealership should be able to do it for you too).

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
For me night mode didn't work until I adjusted the display brightness knob off of full-power. (Turn the trip meter knob counter-clockwise while the headlights are on.)

·
Registered
219 Posts
When you touch the day/night icon, there are similar icons at the top of the screen so that you can see which mode you are in. If the headlights are off, then it should show the sun the first time you hit the brightness button. If you touch the sun/moon icon again it will switch to night mode, and one more time takes you to a black screen or display off mode. Another press will bring you back to day mode and around and around it goes.

All of that being said, I am experiencing a problem with mine wherein night mode will not dim the display. You can touch the slider and see the brightness change for a split second and then the screen goes back to full brightness while the slider stays where you left it. So, at night, my screen stays on full brightness. A reboot of the head unit has not taken care of the problem, so I suppose that I may have to reboot the entire car again to, hopefully, correct the issue.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
If you don't reduce the display dimmer (there's probably a way to do it in the menus, but the rip knob is easier), night mode does not work. For some reason, it factory-defaults to full-power.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
All of that being said, I am experiencing a problem with mine wherein night mode will not dim the display. You can touch the slider and see the brightness change for a split second and then the screen goes back to full brightness while the slider stays where you left it. So, at night, my screen stays on full brightness. A reboot of the head unit has not taken care of the problem, so I suppose that I may have to reboot the entire car again to, hopefully, correct the issue.
Yes, this is exactly what I am seeing. I did now find the modes at the top of the screen, my eye was caught by the slider appearing and so I didn't notice them appear at the same time. Still, when I set one mode to full brightness and the other mode to minimum there is no difference in the display brightness on day or night mode, headlights on or off and dash lights not on max. Has anyone else had this and fixed it?

My wife is about to take the car, I will try it tomorrow.

Rob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Like SirWired said above... use the trip reset knob on your dash display. Turn it left so the display is one less than max. I only knew about this from my prior Acuras. They would indicate "auto mode" when the setting was set one less than the full setting. Hope that solves it for ya.

·
Registered
219 Posts
In my case, the trip reset knob is not in the highest/brightest setting, so the center display should dim, but it does not. I'm sure that it's simply a software glitch.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I pressed the moon/sun icon on lower left corner of the console screen. It seemed to know it was nighttime and dimmed the screen. Uh, it was by accident that I found this. I ordered the printed manual because of problems with online version not being correct. I am hoping printed one is more concise and correct. If my experience doesn't meet your expectations, that's not my problem, is it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, today I disconnected the battery for over 30 minutes. It doesn't appear to have made any difference on dimming the center screen but the automatic parking brake did start working so that is something. I don't think my automatic high beams are working and I'm guessing that is related to the screen not dimming. Once more:

1. Tapping day/night and moving the brightness slider to the right makes no difference. Sliding left there is slight dimming for just a moment before it resumes full brightness.
2. Going to the brightness/contrast/black level screen it is the same.
3. Makes no difference whether you choose day or night mode or whether headlights are on or off.
4. instrument dimmer control is set one tick below maximum and does work properly.

I welcome suggestions from people who have read the whole post.

Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
1. Tapping day/night and moving the brightness slider to the right makes no difference. Sliding left there is slight dimming for just a moment before it resumes full brightness.
2. Going to the brightness/contrast/black level screen it is the same.
3. Makes no difference whether you choose day or night mode or whether headlights are on or off.
4. instrument dimmer control is set one tick below maximum and does work properly.

I'm assuming this is a software glitch, maybe limited to the Touring. This is exactly my experience with my Touring model. Nothing I can do seems to alter the display audio screen from full brightness.

·
Registered
293 Posts
when you have instrument dimmer set to maximum bright, all brightness setting for navi/clusters will be at maximum. it pretty much it will override all other brightness settings..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have my instrument display set to about 50% brightness and I still am not able to alter the display audio screen from full brightness. Toggling between day and night has no effect, and changing the brightness slider also has no effect.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts