Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had this issue.... dealer did a firmware update.... was fine for a long time. And now it is back. :Hmmmmm:
This issue is back on our vehicle as well. The fix did not even last a month. I noticed that the firmware versions are the same, so they didn't really do a firmware upgrade to fix it last time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having the same problem with our EX. Haven’t tried any of the previous suggestions but will try the trip dial turn because maybe that may have been moved my mistake, but I doubt that is the case after reading this thread! Just started the other night after a little over a year. Hate to read that it continues to happen even after the fix.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Add me to the list. I normally don't drive this vehicle (wife's) when I took it out tonight I thought wow that screen is bright. Tried everything, screen would dim for a split second then go full bright. Off to the dealer, again :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
I finally took the V in for a few warranty items, one of them being the centre screen. This will be the third day and still no resolve, even after I sent them a screenshot of dmitri's RO. They are saying its an American part number.... I told them to get the Canadian firm ware and reload it... Well I guess they know better?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
my service mgr said there is a list of VINs that need this update. and my VIN was not listed. appears if VIN is not listed, it has the latest software and the next step is to replace the HU.
who knows anymore.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Well, had Christine in last week for the problem, TechLine had them order a new screen, and yesterday got the call that they received "the stick" instead.

You gotta wonder why "the vendor" isn't mailing every dealer the USB stick to get it outta the way... In what world does telling dealers to order a new screen, which will be randomly substituted for a USB stick make sense?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Well, had Christine in last week for the problem, TechLine had them order a new screen, and yesterday got the call that they received "the stick" instead.

You gotta wonder why "the vendor" isn't mailing every dealer the USB stick to get it outta the way... In what world does telling dealers to order a new screen, which will be randomly substituted for a USB stick make sense?
Deja'vu all over again. Communication of information to dealers and TechLine seems to be a big problem for Honda USA. That was the same routine that I went thru over 5 months ago.
BTW: Mine has been fine since then. There it is the kiss of death.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Well, it appears that this is on the HU vendor (happens to be Mitsubishi). They are the ones that have told TechLine to order a new HU, which Mitsubishi may randomly substitute for a USB stick. (Looks like the part itself doesn't get shipped from Honda Parts, it comes from Mitsubishi.)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Those who got the head unit replaced or firmware upgraded, do you have a part number that you can share? I had my screen replaced once and firmware updated(with no change in firmware version) but the problem returned in a week or so. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just had my '17 EX in for this issue, tech at my local dealership diagnosed the issue of not being able to dim the display at night and they went ahead and ordered a new display unit, which they said should be in within 3-5 days, so I am hoping that they actually give me the new display, but more than likely I will be getting a call about just doing the firmware on my current one.

Does anyone that has had the display swapped out for a new one know if the siriusxm subscription will transfer over to the new display, or is it going to cost me the transfer fee siriusxm makes you pay even though its under warranty? I don't see Honda ponying up the money to cover that for me...

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I just had my '17 EX in for this issue, tech at my local dealership diagnosed the issue of not being able to dim the display at night and they went ahead and ordered a new display unit, which they said should be in within 3-5 days, so I am hoping that they actually give me the new display, but more than likely I will be getting a call about just doing the firmware on my current one.

Does anyone that has had the display swapped out for a new one know if the siriusxm subscription will transfer over to the new display, or is it going to cost me the transfer fee siriusxm makes you pay even though its under warranty? I don't see Honda ponying up the money to cover that for me...
The display is separate from the actual audio unit, so I think your subscription should transfer just fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had this same issue. The dealer checked with the head unit manufacturer and got a software update. Once they installed on my 2017 EX-L, the problem was fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had this same issue. The dealer checked with the head unit manufacturer and got a software update. Once they installed on my 2017 EX-L, the problem was fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What did your dealership have to do to get this update? My local dealership is giving me the runaround with this for the past month telling me there is no firmware update to install.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What did your dealership have to do to get this update? My local dealership is giving me the runaround with this for the past month telling me there is no firmware update to install.
I made an online appointment with my local dealer. In the appointment details, I posted the issue and everything that I did to try to fix it (reboot of head unit, factory reset, disconnect battery, brightness adjustment on gauge cluster, and brightness adjustment on head unit). Then when I took it into the dealer, I demonstrated the issue to the service rep, and he agreed there was a problem.

After that, the dealer contacted the Honda engineering support. Honda engineering then had to reply to the dealer and put them in touch with the head unit manufacturer (Panasonic?). Then, if I understand it correctly, the head unit manufacturer had to verify that my head unit could accept a flash update (some apparently cannot). If it couldn't accept the update, then they would have had to order a replacement. Once they confirmed with the head unit manufacturer, then they had to ship the flash drive to the dealer. All in all, it took about a week to resolve. My dealer offered a loaner car, but I just picked up my own car, and they left the paperwork open until the issue was resolved. The dealer indicated that they tested the flash update on another vehicle before doing it to mine, and also said that they had seen another instance of the same issue after I reported mine.

Although it took a week, I was very happy with my dealer's response to the issue (and of course it was covered under warranty). Just before I took it in, I also received the notification of the update required for my vehicle (for the gas in oil issue), and they installed that at the same time. That issue they handled the first day. When the head unit update arrived, it took them about an hour to install.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I wonder if we have the same dealership... Tell them to order a new head unit then. Honda will put a stop on the order and tell them to call and talk to the tech line. it's taking two weeks longer for me than it should, and two extra phone calls pushing the dealership to pay attention, however I'm getting the update Thursday.

I'm not 100% sure it's a true update, I wonder if it's some sort of script that resets an internal setting that gets out of whack. I'll double check mine but I don't think the software version iterates at all.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 124 Posts